OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through exactly this right now....acros are peeling tip first after months of great growth and I can't find anything. Basically did everything you stated. I started a thread on it but things are still in the downswing :(
I just have to ask : tips first is almost always Alk - have you triple checked that with two or three different test kits?
*I'll go check your thread*

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. With a modern home on a slab construction, I didn't see much need. I did, however, use some strips of Innovative Marine's tank leveling mat on the bottom rails just to not load a possible high edge of tile on my floor. ;Woot

Sadly I checked my brand new concrete slab in the extension, it's about 2mm out over the 36 inches the stand will sit on.. grrrrr

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have to ask : tips first is almost always Alk - have you triple checked that with two or three different test kits?
That's what I heard as well. I have been using Hanna checker and had a Salifert as back up and they matched. Bought a Red Sea and Tropic Marin to quadruple check and all 4 came within a few tenths of each other. I was holding Alk between 8.8 - 9.0 with a GHL doser. Over the course of 2 weeks I dropped to 8.0 upon suggestion that my on the lower side nutrients (5 - 10 nitrate and .02 - .04 PO4) and alk at 9 could be a problem. After a few weeks, coral still dying. Water changes seem to help but only for a few days before things start turning again. ICP testing from two different companies didn't show anything either.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I checked my brand new concrete slab in the extension, it's about 2mm out over the 36 inches the stand will sit on.. grrrrr
In fairness, the overflow end of my tank is about 3/16" lower than the opposite end. Doesn't concern me in the least, and you can't notice it unless you scrutinize. 2mm is way in the noise, provided it's flat over that length.
That's what I heard as well. I have been using Hanna checker and had a Salifert as back up and they matched. Bought a Red Sea and Tropic Marin to quadruple check and all 4 came within a few tenths of each other. I was holding Alk between 8.8 - 9.0 with a GHL doser. Over the course of 2 weeks I dropped to 8.0 upon suggestion that my on the lower side nutrients (5 - 10 nitrate and .02 - .04 PO4) and alk at 9 could be a problem. After a few weeks, coral still dying. Water changes seem to help but only for a few days before things start turning again. ICP testing from two different companies didn't show anything either.
Yup, remarkably similar. Mine were base-up or just dying from random areas along the branches, but otherwise the same situation. I'll still stand by it being bacterial/viral/fungal - something beyond control.

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fairness, the overflow end of my tank is about 3/16" lower than the opposite end. Doesn't concern me in the least, and you can't notice it unless you scrutinize. 2mm is way in the noise, provided it's flat over that length.

That's really reassuring, I like the idea of the whole base resting on the floor. I just assumed being that much out would put extra stress on the silicone and on the joint in the stand.
Did you use plywood on top of the stand under the tank? If so how did you fix it to the stand, I'd imagine fixing it would add extra structural rigidity to the stand.

Sorry for abusing your engineering skills/knowledge! I'm guessing it will help others as well as me!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the whole base resting on the floor
Right - it's more important to me to distribute that load rather than isolate it at discrete points via leveling feet.
I just assumed being that much out would put extra stress on the silicone and on the joint in the stand.
Nah - provided the top of the stand is flat. Tanks really only care about pressure points or things warping out of plane. Flatness is key.
Did you use plywood on top of the stand under the tank?
I did - it's there in the setup pics if you look carefully.
If so how did you fix it to the stand,
I didn't. It's simply sitting on top of the stand with the weight of the tank on top.
I'd imagine fixing it would add extra structural rigidity to the stand.
Not much - second order effect really. The vertical load from the tank weight trumps most all attachment methods. And even if not, the stiffness of the aluminum beams far outweighs that of plywood.

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're a star evolved! Thanks for the help.

I have to confess to finding all of this intriguing and almost as fun as actually keeping the tanks. Is it too late to switch from medicine to engineering

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help.
Anytime.
I have to confess to finding all of this intriguing and almost as fun as actually keeping the tanks.
I really enjoy planning/building a new system. :)
Is it too late to switch from medicine to engineering
Most would say "it's never too late", but after killing myself to finish my undergrad in 4 years, summa cumme laude, with honors, and a math minor - I was pretty spent. Grad school had zero appeal at that point. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a bit of a perfectionist...
No regrets now, but I'd never want to do it over again! :p
(Sidenote: my husband is a pharmacist. We can have interesting conversations sometimes, lol.)

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I know what you mean killing yourself to get it all done! And I do understand being perfectionist, it's a blessing and a curse...
I've finished what would translate into residency in the US (it's organised differently in the UK). I love what I do and wouldn't actually change but I find plenty of other things fascinating!

Oh, I bet there's a good debate in your house now and then. Quite different disciplines, it keeps life fun though!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what sort of mechanical engineering do you do?

i've read thru your build, quite the journey!

major bummer about your coral crash.
Thanks! I'm a static structures engineer on turbine engines; R&D plus continuous improvement - a big mixed bag. Primarily military and helicopter applications, both domestic and abroad.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm a static structures engineer on turbine engines; R&D plus continuous improvement - a big mixed bag. Primarily military and helicopter applications, both domestic and abroad.

Smarty pants. Good to see you back.

Now that the pleasantries are over...Pics.

birdman1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just visited a company in Phoenix that does a lot of helicopter and military work. Does your company work on the F-18 tail hook?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just visited a company in Phoenix that does a lot of helicopter and military work. Does your company work on the F-18 tail hook?
I know who that is, but it's not who I work for. And from an OPSEC perspective, I won't publically say more.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! Update your build thread, gonna have to start calling you @revhtree :p
See, the difference between him and I, is that I can still keep a tank going when life gets too busy, I just can't find the time to take pics and update this thing. :p

Really though, sans a slow aiptasia battle, I'm pretty happy with this tank now. The trident certainly helps me keep a stable Alk, when I otherwise wouldn't be bothered to take the time to test.

Now, as far as pictures go, I am further behind in life in general there, with well over 2000 pics from more than a year ago I still haven't finished. It's sad too - because I have jaw-dropping Fiji underwater reef shots, as well as shots playing/feeding wild stingrays in the Caymans this year that I just haven't touched yet, let alone shared anywhere. :(

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, the difference between him and I, is that I can still keep a tank going when life gets too busy, I just can't find the time to take pics and update this thing. :p

Really though, sans a slow aiptasia battle, I'm pretty happy with this tank now. The trident certainly helps me keep a stable Alk, when I otherwise wouldn't be bothered to take the time to test.

Now, as far as pictures go, I am further behind in life in general there, with well over 2000 pics from more than a year ago I still haven't finished. It's sad too - because I have jaw-dropping Fiji underwater reef shots, as well as shots playing/feeding wild stingrays in the Caymans this year that I just haven't touched yet, let alone shared anywhere. :(
Hahaha! I just had to take the opportunity to troll ya a little bit :). @revhtree still has a tank running we just don’t know otherwise since he’s too busy to talk about it!

Looks great. I haven’t had the trident nearly as long as you but I do agree it makes life much easier. I trust mine already I still tested as I normally would have otherwise (pre-trident) for the first few weeks and any trend I saw was the same on the trident and the manual testing. I always tested daily (alk) but my SPS tank is so new I felt it was necessary. It’s quite intriguing to see the trends throughout the day. Now playing with dosing trying to see how flat I can get the graph line :). Even though I tested once daily at 9pm and always had consistent readings or made adjustments accordingly my tank still had a .15ish swing throughout the day that I would never have seen without trident.

I look forward to your pics once you get around to posting them :).

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Come on, Rev! :D

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's just a couple examples from Fiji that I have edited. But these were are not even full res, as I just exported them out of Lightroom mobile downloaded onto my phone. At some point I'll make a dedicated thread for these, but I think you'll see why I need to finish these first!
P9210073.jpg

P9220096.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back