OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like an awesome idea Hunter!!! I used to be a custom cabinet maker and historic wood worker. There are a few builds here that really spark my interest from that point of view. Love the reclaimed wood, it looks fantastic. Love working with old wood too, there is just nothing like it. I'm a geek on so many levels....
I hope I don't disappoint with the final product then!
It is my first time working with reclaimed wood; really my first "real" wood working project. I made due with an entry level table saw and miter saw. Although I've never worked with a table saw before, things with moving parts tend to be second nature for me and not something that intimidate me. I'm pretty happy with what I've achieved here so far, albeit it's not perfect but good enough to pacify my general anal retentiveness. But that's a bit of the beauty in the reclaimed product; it can't be perfect nor does it need to be.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With total confidence, what you see there is about the minimum I'd use on dimensions like this. You could maybe go 3' between supports on the sides as well (instead of ~2' as I did), but that is about the limit before things might get "interesting" over time with the tank seals.

Patience grasshopper. Nothing good happens fast in reef land.

Thanks, I think. :p

Thanks Kevin!

Thanks Steve!

Thank you.

Thanks Mel!

Thanks Jesse.
Of course there's a plan. :) See half a hinge on the stand back there? There will be a piece of the same reclaimed wood back there, floor to the top of the tank on hinges. A mini-skinny door, basically, to still allow access there but cover up everything. I have the boards for that in the garage, but have waited to cut them to size until everything is set.

Yes, I want to see the minimum you can do before you can't feed to much food and the tank will collapse.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I want to see the minimum you can do before you can't feed to much food and the tank will collapse.
If you really want to "see" that, I might suggest you experiment in your living room. :eek:

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to "see" that, I might suggest you experiment in your living room. :eek:
I was interested from the engineering point of view, as you are an engineer, and you have the software, that's all I was hoping for. I want to see the simulation.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some early morning, lots of glare, dirty glass, no lights, as-I-run-out-the-door cell shots? :D

20160830_075009.jpg

20160830_075028.jpg

20160830_075050.jpg

Wet side of the stand, left side
20160830_075114.jpg

Wet side, right side
View attachment 20160830_080424.jpg

Front panel; dry side power compartment.
View attachment 20160830_075146.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might notice in that last shot they are some Vortech driver mounts, with no vortechs... lol

The drivers are in there, behind that panel the pretty things are mounted to, but as the case may be, the cords are about 3' too short (of course).
Ecotech used to make extension cables a few years back, but since the connectors were not waterproof they stopped due to liability. They'll extend your cords now, if you send in the whole dry side. For $35 a piece, they extend the wire and make a heat shrink/hot glue blob at the junction...

Or you could just build your own extensions, like this:
2016-08-30 08.02.46.jpg

I could care less about waterproof-ness, as the extension connector is already on the dry side.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some equally junky photos of the reactor, but I know many of you are interested in seeing more about this.

Assembled; a common feed with independent ball valves to adjust flow. It is an up-flow design.
20160830_075242.jpg

Here's the opposite side; the dump tubes gravity fed back down into the sump.
20160830_075256.jpg

One quarter turn of the lid, and off the lid comes. Then you can pull the media tube straight out of it's chamber and go dump it out in the trash. A quick fill with new media that you can rinse right out in the media tube, and back in it goes. All while leaving the pump to the reactor running; no need to shut that off.
20160830_075334.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh bro I love that stand! This tank is looking awesome already!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev :)

The reactor is a prototype from Titan Aquatic.
Hopefully it comes to market. Seems like a great design. I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might notice in that last shot they are some Vortech driver mounts, with no vortechs... lol

The drivers are in there, behind that panel the pretty things are mounted to, but as the case may be, the cords are about 3' too short (of course).
Ecotech used to make extension cables a few years back, but since the connectors were not waterproof they stopped due to liability. They'll extend your cords now, if you send in the whole dry side. For $35 a piece, they extend the wire and make a heat shrink/hot glue blob at the junction...

Or you could just build your own extensions, like this:
2016-08-30 08.02.46.jpg

I could care less about waterproof-ness, as the extension connector is already on the dry side.

Congrats on the new house and the new tank. Both look amazing! Love the 80/20 stand and barn wood combo.

Do you have the pin out assignment that you used to make these extension cords? I need to do the same with two of mine, so the drivers can teach the dry portion of my stand. Also what Molex connectors did you use?

Thanks!

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Love the tank and stand. Taking lots of notes for my eventual upgrade.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it comes to market. Seems like a great design. I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out.
And I'm looking forward to playing with it! It's still a bit rough on some of the edges (you'll even see some cracks in the acrylic tube around the uniseals on the outputs - just cosmetic but not something that would be acceptable for production), but I am pretty confident it will work as nice as it seems.
Awesome! That stand is sweet!

Wrasses are the best!
Thanks! And I agree. :)
Congrats on the new house and the new tank. Both look amazing! Love the 80/20 stand and barn wood combo.
Thank you, and thank you.
Do you have the pin out assignment that you used to make these extension cords? I need to do the same with two of mine, so the drivers can teach the dry portion of my stand. Also what Molex connectors did you use?
Pin assignment? I have no idea. :) But as an extension cable, the pin assignment does not matter - provided you are consistent and mirror the opposite end of the extension cable.
I ordered everything from digikey.
Male connector: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=WM23704-ND
Pins for that end: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=WM2501CT-ND
Female connector: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=WM24064-ND
Pins for that end: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=WM2822CT-ND
Cable: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=W510-50-ND
Wow! Love the tank and stand. Taking lots of notes for my eventual upgrade.
Thanks!
Wow!!! Great and Beautiful build!
Thank you.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I see that stand the more I love it, really considering stealing the idea (if you don't mind.)
That requires licensing and royalties. :p

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess you'd better mail copies of your patent(s) to my attorney then, LOL.
I mean, I can, but I don't think my day-job patents and trade secrets will have much credibility here. :p

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back