Zit looking bump on Blue Tang

Juschillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Tang has a largish, white zit looking bump on/near his right fin. He wasn't using this fin much before it was even visible, but was and is otherwise swimming around and eating just fine.

I used metroplex/focus/garlic during feeding for about a week last week, due a smaller white spot further back. That went away almost immediately, and then this started appearing on/around last Sat. I started medic on Sunday and plan to go for the minimum 10 days, but not sure what else to do, or if this is even helping. Thank you.

Blue Tang Pic.png

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Tough to see, the video is pixelated on my computer, but the way the fin isn't being used and the white cast to it, looks like an injury with a possible secondary bacterial infection.

Metroplex/focus/garlic won't do anything for that, neither will Medic. Since it is external, an antibiotic bath would be the way to go, and that would require a separate treatment tank.. However, many of these infections heal on their own, as long as whatever caused the original injury (like tankmate aggression) doesn't happen again.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree with jay- methods you listed will not work and best treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as seachem Kanaplex which is absorbed and will be best coverage. other option is maracyn 2 either done in a quarantine setting with added oxygen via air stone
Another option is ruby Rally Pro in the display but will take a longer to work but other ones mentioned will be most effective.

OP
OP
J

Juschillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Tang has a largish, white zit looking bump on/near his right fin. He wasn't using this fin much before it was even visible, but was and is otherwise swimming around and eating just fine.

I used metroplex/focus/garlic during feeding for about a week last week, due a smaller white spot further back. That went away almost immediately, and then this started appearing on/around last Sat. I started medic on Sunday and plan to go for the minimum 10 days, but not sure what else to do, or if this is even helping. Thank you.

Blue Tang Pic.png

OP
OP
J

Juschillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys. I added a pic, but will definitely look into the bacterial treatment.

Attachments

• Blue Tang Pic.png
    Blue Tang Pic.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 17

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys. I added a pic, but will definitely look into the bacterial treatment.
It looks like there is an ulcer at the point where the pectoral fin enters the body - that means more than just the soft fin ray is involved - an antibiotic treatment in a hospital tank is probably best.
Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back