zoas not opening :(

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, My zoas don’t seem to open anymore i have had them for a year and for about three months they don’t open anymore i’ve tried feeding them and all water parameters have been fine i’m not sure why this has happened? image of zoas opened before in the past and zoas today
472DA87F-2C4F-47F6-8B1B-B03A26476EE3.png
4056C98B-A50C-4B2B-B81A-2FA10599B003.jpeg

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, My zoas don’t seem to open anymore i have had them for a year and for about three months they don’t open anymore i’ve tried feeding them and all water parameters have been fine i’m not sure why this has happened? image of zoas opened before in the past and zoas today
472DA87F-2C4F-47F6-8B1B-B03A26476EE3.png
4056C98B-A50C-4B2B-B81A-2FA10599B003.jpeg

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There in Sydney My son lives in Cronulla … where are you?

I am no expert but have recently bought a dozen zoa frags so I hope I can keep them going. Elsewhere on this forum someone said he added (and started to test for) iodine and found that his zoas immediately came back to life. Lugols I think …
Anyway check that out … I certainly will read up on that if my zoas start to close up … good luck.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what are your parameters? "Fine" can mean lots of different things to people. Have you done any water changes recently or added new fish or inverts?

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what are your parameters? "Fine" can mean lots of different things to people. Have you done any water changes recently or added new fish or inverts?
i get my water tested at the shop i get my water tested at and they said my salt was just a little bit low and everything else was perfect, i can get the water tested again and get them to write it down for me but since they have been closed for a very long time i’m not sure why it could be since nothing has really changed in the tank and everything else is happy. last water change was about 4 weeks ago and i just top the tank up

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pics are very blue and its too hard to see, but looks like a lot of algae or something growing around the zoa's, that might be irritating them.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say definitely test for trace elements or just start dosing. I use SeaChem’s basic three pack but idk what’s available in your area if you’re from Sydney, Australia. The iodine solution sound like a great idea to me, the zoas are definitely starting to look skinny and malnourished. The pic from the past shows a lot of *something* mixed in with the polyps. Removing whatever that is will almost definitely also help

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas usually don't like detritus or algae on their base, in my experience. Blowing them off gently with a turkey baster, and removing surrounding algae may help.

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas usually don't like detritus or algae on their base, in my experience. Blowing them off gently with a turkey baster, and removing surrounding algae may help.
will try that here’s a photo in white light
AF662B8A-171D-4A4B-A4C6-85DE9BFA6C29.jpeg

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say definitely test for trace elements or just start dosing. I use SeaChem’s basic three pack but idk what’s available in your area if you’re from Sydney, Australia. The iodine solution sound like a great idea to me, the zoas are definitely starting to look skinny and malnourished. The pic from the past shows a lot of *something* mixed in with the polyps. Removing whatever that is will almost definitely also help
here’s a photo in white light
4CE90EBB-B3AF-45BB-A7D9-ADB0A02A9D69.jpeg

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's usually perk up with a little iodine dip. Now if they have algae on them or plug they start with a peroxide dip then iodine. But that's a little hard to do on in tank rock. Just looking at last picture you need something in there cleaning up all that hair algae around them. Might want to check nitrates and phosphates. There would not be much of that with a cleanup crew and fish. That rock would be clean just from my tang and angels.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's algae growing around your zoas, try researching dipping zoas in H2O2. I had a pretty bad infestation in a colony. Dipped in 3% H2O2 mixed 1 to 1 with tank water for about 3 minutes. It killed off the algae, but it ticked off the zoas. Took about 3 weeks for them to open back up. But now they look better than ever. IMG_20230126_160917680.jpg
That is if you can get them out of the tank!
IMG_20230405_163210148.jpg

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's usually perk up with a little iodine dip. Now if they have algae on them or plug they start with a peroxide dip then iodine. But that's a little hard to do on in tank rock. Just looking at last picture you need something in there cleaning up all that hair algae around them. Might want to check nitrates and phosphates. There would not be much of that with a cleanup crew and fish. That rock would be clean just from my tang and angels.
my nitrates and phosphates have always been super low but i don’t have much of a clean up crew just a fox face fish, i can’t have anymore fish as my tank is too small but maybe snail?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nitrates and phosphates have always been super low but i don’t have much of a clean up crew just a fox face fish, i can’t have anymore fish as my tank is too small but maybe snail?
I would just clean the algae by hand with tweezers and a toothbrush. Snails probably won’t eat GHA

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's algae growing around your zoas, try researching dipping zoas in H2O2. I had a pretty bad infestation in a colony. Dipped in 3% H2O2 mixed 1 to 1 with tank water for about 3 minutes. It killed off the algae, but it ticked off the zoas. Took about 3 weeks for them to open back up. But now they look better than ever. IMG_20230126_160917680.jpg
That is if you can get them out of the tank!
IMG_20230405_163210148.jpg
they are attached to the base of my big rock i don’t think i’ll be able to remove them but i just purchased red sea abcd hopefully that helps

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi coming back to this i have attempted removing the algae and even used a tooth brush only very small amounts came off but some wasn’t possible as it wasn’t large amount of algae only a small coat

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Low nitrates and phosphates will often tick off and may slowly kill zoanthids. Aim for a minimum of 0,03ppm phosphate and 5ppm nitrate, if not higher. Healthy zoas getting plenty of nutrients should be able to ward off algae reasonably well on their own.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turning your skimmer off is a good start. Reducing water changes, including entirely stopping them for now, is another good step. Don't do a water change unless you need to lower nutrients or raise other elements- let the nutrients rise and stay up.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 48 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back