How many clowns are too many?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always read that you shouldn't have more than two clowns in a tank unless it's a large tank. But there seem to be a few tank out there with multiple clowns with good results. Also I was just watching coral reef videos on uverse and there was a scene with a carpet anemone that looked to be 18-24" across with six or more percs living in it. And there was another with countless occys amongst some anemones all in very close proximity. So, how many clowns can you really keep together?

Cubbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on your tank size. Personally I wouldn't put more than 2 because I would hate for things not to work out and see one killed. If you have a huge tank you might be able to keep more imo. I guess it comes down to your luck as well. Just like you said, there's people out there with multiples and I guess they got lucky. But imo they will eventually start fighting for dominance and start killing off the weakest. I think once a pair is established the problems come. I've heard of people having luck with multiples when when having multiple Nems as each pair sticks to theirs. I'll let the clown experts chime in though as there are some very goods ones around!

Joe S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very tank- and fish- specific. I have seen plenty of tanks with complex arrangements of clowns.The only way to find out is to give it a go!

J&O'sdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started 8years ago with 8 in a 125. They were ORO perc. After they matured I was down two 2 pair and a single clown. I sold one pair and the single because of the fighting. I only had one LTA though.

ignatz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had over 60 clowns in a 10G (for a while) with no aggression and seen aggression with only 4 clowns in a 10G. imo, Clowns should be kept in pairs and allowed time to find a host. The best host is an anemone but any host will do as long as they are actively protecting only a small part of a tank. Once a pair of clowns has claimed a host they don't stray far from it. If more than two young/small clowns are competing for the same host, the middle two (sizewise) will fight for the right to be the 'male'. I've read that two females competing for the same host will fight to the death. The bigger the clown type, the more space they will need. I think a safe estimate is 1 pair per 2' of tank length with an anemone otherwise only one pair per tank. For example, 3 pairs in a 6' tank with 3 nems is more than likely safe. Clowns are aggressive and anxious fish but given an abundance of food and hosts the sky is the limit.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More importantly than "How many?" is "What are the sexes of the clowns?". As some have shared, there is a heirarchy among clownfish. You could have many juveniles in the same tank but may not be able to keep more than 1 female (depending on the tank setup).

The development of sexual characteristics is one way (juvenile -> male ->female) in clownfish, so you can't start with a bunch of females and hope for them to eventually interact non-territorially. (insert joke here) If you can't get juveniles or can't form pairs, it's not worth it IMO.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of what you guys are saying is in line with what I've read. What really got me thinking about it was all those percs in that single carpet. Now if I could recreate that I think I'd give it a shot. I wonder how much captivity changes their behavior vs living in an actual reef. I wonder if one female can exist with multiple males. If anyone has u-verse its on channel 800 and its called "coral reef" they play it all the time.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More importantly than "How many?" is "What are the sexes of the clowns?". As some have shared, there is a heirarchy among clownfish. You could have many juveniles in the same tank but may not be able to keep more than 1 female (depending on the tank setup).

The development of sexual characteristics is one way (juvenile -> male ->female) in clownfish, so you can't start with a bunch of females and hope for them to eventually interact non-territorially. (insert joke here) If you can't get juveniles or can't form pairs, it's not worth it IMO.

+1
That is my understanding as well. If you want a school then start with a group of juveniles, eventually the 2 most dominant will become male and female. I suppose if the tank is large enough you might end up with more than one.

Conrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only true way to make sure you can have more than 2 clowns in a tank is to get them all from the same clutch at the same time. Than one will be the dominant female and male. The others remain neutral and never change till one of them go missing/gone.

Other than that I wouldn't ever recommned more than 2 clowns per tank unless in large scale volume of like 180G+ and you still can see some agression if not given enough space with seperate nems

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 juvi's all together that were raised from the same batch from eggs:
they are co-existing well for now even after a tank move, not sure for how much longer however!

clown1.jpg

2bafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 10 clowns in my 200 gallon. They seem to fight my damsels more than each other. They do seem to have their own territory in the tank.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading up on this on and off for about 5 years. These are some of the things I did to have the most success. Doesn't mean it'll work but I think these will give a fighting chance.

- get juvis that were raised together from birth
- no anemones at all or a lot of anemones
- set up an auto feeder to keep them happy. I like to feed the boys at least 2-4x/day
- have a back up plan just in case some of the clowns are being bullied all day long.. ie: set up back up tank(s)

I'm still learning as I go but so far so good coming up to my 8th week. Clowns are almost 6 months old. I dunno if it helped that I kept an ORA that I've had for almost 2 years. She keeps everyone in check. Then there is the Mob, consisting of a group of 3 Picasso's & 2 Platinums. I believe that they have established their pecking order. I'll have to see as everyone else how they do in the next few months.

Conrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I had said only from the same clutch.(meaning same birth time/egg clutch). Its the only true way of keeping some neutral from not changing. :smile:

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading up on this on and off for about 5 years. These are some of the things I did to have the most success. Doesn't mean it'll work but I think these will give a fighting chance. <br>
<br>
- get juvis that were raised together from birth<br>
- no anemones at all or a lot of anemones<br>
- set up an auto feeder to keep them happy. I like to feed the boys at least 2-4x/day<br>
- have a back up plan just in case some of the clowns are being bullied all day long.. ie: set up back up tank(s)<br>
<br>
I'm still learning as I go but so far so good coming up to my 8th week. Clowns are almost 6 months old. I dunno if it helped that I kept an ORA that I've had for almost 2 years. She keeps everyone in check. Then there is the Mob, consisting of a group of 3 Picasso's &amp; 2 Platinums. I believe that they have established their pecking order. I'll have to see as everyone else how they do in the next few months.

Your tank is awesome! Love all the different nems. The video is great too. I've got three pairs of clowns and if any of them ever decide to lay I might have to give this a try.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is awesome! Love all the different nems. The video is great too. I've got three pairs of clowns and if any of them ever decide to lay I might have to give this a try.
sounds awesome! I hope by that time, myself and a few others have had a decent amount of success. or if not, I hope others can learn from our experiences. :)

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success with 2 different genius. Like a pair of percs and maybe allardi of some other type. The tank I am going to have is kinda large and was planning on setting up 2 nems on opposite sides of the tank

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, that's not really a good idea. But who knows... For most, my tank is not even a good idea. LoL.

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump .... i need to hear a success story asap !!! so 4 valentines day i got myself 6 clownfish , naked , nearly naked,2 phantoms,2 ocellaris, all small 1"
my 127g got a pair of platinium clowns female is 2" very aggressive so i had to put them in 30g refugium so my question is how long before they start killing each other ? right now it seem ok

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back