Unusual hosting relationships. (Yellow Clown Goby / Rainbow Pectinia coral)

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in others less than usual hosting relationships. Non-Clown / Anemone. What do others have to share????

FernBluff Reef Story:

On Friday, we acquired a Rainbow Pectinia colony, that the LFS was retiring from their display, for which our yellow clown goby almost immediately declared his primary home / host and now only leaves largely for breakfast and dinner.

Now, I know it’s not unusual for clown gobies to perch on rocks and corals, sometimes bothering the corals and ours was no different. In our case, our clown goby had setup his home on a rock pile on the left side of our tank where some frogspawn and Duncan coral also reside. He would occasionally perch on the two corals causing them to retract, but never for any real length of time to really bother the coral.

That all changed, on Friday when we added the Rainbow Pectinia. Within 24 hours the Clown Goby had moved across the tank and into the Pectinia, which he now resides. He was on the Pectinia almost as fast as our clown fish were on their Ritteri when it was added, and he generally stays there. So far the Pectinia does not seem to be bothered by him, seems happy to host him, save the Clown Goby did steal ReefRoids from one of the Pectinia’s mouths last night which is little different from a Clownfish taking from its host Anemone.

Anyway, so far we think it is cute, but that may change.....

In the meantime we are wondering if anyone else have some different non-Clown/Anemone hosting relationships to share???

P.S. I called the Clown Goby a he, but we really don't know, could just as well be a she.

IMG_5291.JPG

Last edited:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty normal behavior. They often reside in SPS colonies

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back