can clownfish have a symbiotic relationship with aiptasia?

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is weird but i have nothing except for a light and i was wondering do aiptasia need the same requirements as coral or what?
also i want my two clowns to be able to have a relationship with anemones because once i get the items to grow coral i want them to be able to host with anemones so i really want to try to get them to host until i can start doing coral which i want to try in 1-2 years because i first want to be calm with salt water so what do they need and can clowns host with them?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia + Coral = misery

If it's a FOWLR than I guess there's no real hurt letting Aiptasia grow freely, but even if you isolate the Aiptasia it will still spread onto your main rock and sting corals.

But to answer your question, I have seen some pretty massive Aiptasia in my day (3 in across) and clowns will host anything that moves... only one way to find out i guess...

OP
OP
seawee

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so, and get any aptasia out of your tank ASAP.

Aptasia will thrive in really any tank conditions.

It's not worth it to take over your tank.
i do not have any coral at all and i just want to get my clownfish to start hosting with anemone once i start getting coral or if it gets out of control i will get Berghia Verrucicornis

OP
OP
seawee

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia + Coral = misery

If it's a FOWLR than I guess there's no real hurt letting Aiptasia grow freely, but even if you isolate the Aiptasia it will still spread onto your main rock and sting corals.

But to answer your question, I have seen some pretty massive Aiptasia in my day (3 in across) and clowns will host anything that moves... only one way to find out i guess...
ok great that is amazing

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not have any coral at all and i just want to get my clownfish to start hosting with anemone once i start getting coral or if it gets out of control i will get Berghia Verrucicornis
Ok, but that will be expensive lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
this is weird but i have nothing except for a light and i was wondering do aiptasia need the same requirements as coral or what?
also i want my two clowns to be able to have a relationship with anemones because once i get the items to grow coral i want them to be able to host with anemones so i really want to try to get them to host until i can start doing coral which i want to try in 1-2 years because i first want to be calm with salt water so what do they need and can clowns host with them?
There is none that ive seen ever not say they wouldnt attempt but aptasia is too small in size and undesired. I would focus on removal opposed to them hosting

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I also just want to mention that it will take your aptasia a while to get to a size a clown fish can host.

I have an aptasia outbreak in my tank that started a few weeks ago, and none of the bases or whatever are larger than a inch.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Allow the tank to reach good maturity at 4-5 months of age and focus on stable water quality before any introduction of anemones

OP
OP
seawee

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is none that ive seen ever not say they wouldnt attempt but aptasia is too small in size and undesired. I would focus on removal opposed to them hosting
my clowns are juvenile/baby so they should be able too
1711331103772.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
my clowns are juvenile/baby so they should be able too
1711331103772.jpeg
Its not the size. . .. again while not impossible is not something typical.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back