Clownfish aggression (need answers quickly please)

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have two clownfish in a 15 gallon aquarium with three new arrivals which include: tiger watchman goby, yellow clown goby, and green clown goby. The female has an history of terrorizing the previous tiger watchman who unfortunately died. I repeatedly put her inside the breeder box to give the fish a break but she only bothers the watchman. He fights back sometimes and he has established his own little burrow and I’m scared that he’ll be so traumatized that he will go into permanent hiding. I put the female in the breeder box whenever she bothers him but how do I stop this aggression? I like seeing him out and about without him having to scare the female off or duck back inside. The aggression isn’t as terrible as with the goby before this one. I don’t want to let go of my female clownfish but it’s looking like it’s coming to that. Any suggestions? I put the female in the box before I went on vacation and the goby was out some more but he doesn’t seem stressed at all. Eats a lot and renovates his home. Would a pistol shrimp be the solution?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might just have a butthole clown, if shes like that now she only will get worse when shes bigger. Either let it play out and see if she mellows out since the box isnt working, re home her, or re home the goby are probably your options. Gobies can be reclusive anyway, my watchmen/pistol shrimp pair are never out, only see them occasionally

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might just have a butthole clown, if shes like that now she only will get worse when shes bigger. Either let it play out and see if she mellows out since the box isnt working, re home her, or re home the goby are probably your options. Gobies can be reclusive anyway, my watchmen/pistol shrimp pair are never out, only see them occasionally
I’m thinking of upgrading to a 32 gal which surprisingly is only 300 bucks. Would that work maybe?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown consider the whole 15 gal as her territory. IMO, I You likely not going to keep another fish in there. She is trying to get rid of the most offended fish and likely will go for the next one once he is gone.

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown consider the whole 15 gal as her territory. IMO, I You likely not going to keep another fish in there. She is trying to get rid of the most offended fish and likely will go for the next one once he is gone.
I hope not. Though the little ones are her least concern since they act unbothered when she pecks at them

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not talking about the male clowns, she will be fine with him, it is all the other non clown fish in your small tank.
What kind of clowns (species of clowns) do you have?

Eddielg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 6 months, I gave mine back for credit. He was close to killing the other clown. He was relentless

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a bigger tank probably. The bully clown might be less of a bully in a tank double that size. If you're looking into a 30g. Also some clowns are just ******s. It is what it is. I say go for the bugger tank and move her into it last. Don't move her first. You can let the others claim their own spot first. Also if you want a pistol that is cool too I don't think it will help but they are cool. I have a 30g with only 3 fish. I have a royal grammar who is an ****** and kills things I put in the tank. Killed a shrimp and emerald crab the other day. I would hate to figure out what another fish would go through in my 30g.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a bigger tank probably. The bully clown might be less of a bully in a tank double that size. If you're looking into a 30g. Also some clowns are just ******s. It is what it is. I say go for the bugger tank and move her into it last. Don't move her first. You can let the others claim their own spot first. Also if you want a pistol that is cool too I don't think it will help but they are cool. I have a 30g with only 3 fish. I have a royal grammar who is an ****** and kills things I put in the tank. Killed a shrimp and emerald crab the other day. I would hate to figure out what another fish would go through in my 30g.
You have an attacking Royal Gramma????

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only has killed inverts so far but yes. It is a pain in the butt. Sadly everyone else in my house likes that fish. I dont. I'd rather have a goby. Haha.
I’d get rid of it. It’s wasting 30gal of space and then sneak and replace it with another and act like nothing happened funny I’m going though the same thing and like an aggressive fish but family says otherwise. But I’m lucky she hasn’t killed anything because I’d probably have to get rid of her and boy she’s a pretty one

Last edited:

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get rid of it. It’s wasting 30gal of space and then sneak and replace it with another and act like nothing happened funny I’m going though the same thing and like an aggressive fish but family says otherwise. But I’m lucky she hasn’t killed anything because I’d probably have to get rid of her and boy she’s a pretty one
Yeah I would love to put like two more fish in my tank. Goby and a firefish maybe but I would probably have to do something with the Gramma at first. I think she would eventually get used to it. She is just a little defensive at first. The first year and a half I had her she hid all the time and now she does not. She's out in the open most of the time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back