Too much flow for clowns..?

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is just starting so no corals, just a hermit, emerald crab and two very small clowns. I have my Nero 5 running on random flow on the lowest setting mobius offers for it plus obviously return pump. I’m wondering if I have too much flow going on because everything in the tank has been in the same spot for days and it seems to be beating up the clowns pretty bad, this morning the biggest of the two seemed to be pinned down in the corner. I turned the wave maker off, but the last time I did both of the clowns wanted to host it which I obviously don’t want. I don’t think the flow is too high but maybe they are just too small right now for 1800-2000 gph? Any thoughts?

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the tank size? If the fish are pinned it’s too much flow.
40 gallon, pinned down probably wasn’t the right term to use I’ve seen them swim against the flow but they’ve just been staying confined to a corner in the tank, not swimming around and exploring like I would think they would and this morning the larger of the two seems to be on his last leg he’s literally laying on top of an emerald crab… just strange

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 gyres (2k) going at 50% in my 40 gallon, its a high flow tank. Fish can swim in the flow, in fact, they like it. Clowns like sticking to the corners, its what they do, mine have lived in the same corner for the past 4 years

But if your concerned, would suggest to take a short video so we can see, its very hard to judge on just words alone.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 gyres (2k) going at 50% in my 40 gallon, its a high flow tank. Fish can swim in the flow, in fact, they like it. Clowns like sticking to the corners, its what they do, mine have lived in the same corner for the past 4 years

But if your concerned, would suggest to take a short video so we can see, its very hard to judge on just words alone.
Right on I’ll try and get a vid asap

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right on I’ll try and get a vid asap

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine, they are just playing around, cute little guys!
You were able to see the video? It just shows up as a white blank screen on my end. But yes, acting totally normal now but as you can see I turned the nero5 off. This morning the spotted one was laying on the bottom in a corner not willing to move at all while the smaller Wyoming white was nudging him trying to get him to move. Now with the flow off they are swimming around and looking perfectly fine which just makes me thing the nero5 is too much for them at there current size

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank is just starting so no corals, just a hermit, emerald crab and two very small clowns. I have my Nero 5 running on random flow on the lowest setting mobius offers for it plus obviously return pump. I’m wondering if I have too much flow going on because everything in the tank has been in the same spot for days and it seems to be beating up the clowns pretty bad, this morning the biggest of the two seemed to be pinned down in the corner. I turned the wave maker off, but the last time I did both of the clowns wanted to host it which I obviously don’t want. I don’t think the flow is too high but maybe they are just too small right now for 1800-2000 gph? Any thoughts?
The clowns are bouncing around or resisting the current, and yes, its too much. Reduce to lower setting

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns are bouncing around or resisting the current, and yes, its too much. Reduce to lower setting
I don’t mind having the Nero off until the clowns become more comfortable in the tank. But within the next few weeks I will need to run it when corals begin being introduced. How do clowns deal with a SPS tank where the turnover is several thousand gallons an hour?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t mind having the Nero off until the clowns become more comfortable in the tank. But within the next few weeks I will need to run it when corals begin being introduced. How do clowns deal with a SPS tank where the turnover is several thousand gallons an hour?
You want to offer a zone where there is less turbulence. Location of powerheads will play a role with this

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back