1   0   0
The pump is in.
Here are some quick shots next to the WP25
JON_4490_zps1c1e915f.jpg

JON_4489_zpsa48a6111.jpg

JON_4483_zps039f04bc.jpg

JON_4485_zps16d87ea6.jpg

JON_4486_zpsc624764e.jpg

As you can see its just a tad shorter then the WP25. but the mouth is much larger opening. It basically looks like a MP10 in a little cradle as the whole unit in the tank instead of half/half.
You can only adjust the unit up and down no more 360 style like the old unit. It is dead silent even on full power.
The control box gives you more control then the old unit. as you now have 8 levels of power control instead of 3 so you can use it in smaller tanks and not blow up a huge sand storm.
I find it to be more visual appealing looking in the tank over the WP25.
The flow definetly seems to be a bit wider and doesnt push as far and narrow.
I can have it set to full power on else mode and it doesnt blow my sand all over on the other side of tank but its still giving very powerful flow all over in the tank and it does seem to cover a larger area and not as much of a jet like.
In W1 mode it seems to make my GSP swing back and forth more forcefully as it is pushing water harder in a wall and pulling harder creating a stronger undertow it seems.
overall for the price i paid was $101 shipped and once it hits amazon I will bet around $70 its EXCELLENT. I would have no need to want a MP10 over this. It has wide flow like it. Pushes 500gph more and is dead silent. Sure its not as neat having the motor on outside. but at almost 3rd price I dont mind.

The control box itself feels a bit cheap like the old one but it does the job it needs and has more flexibility then the previous one so thats a win to me. I think these 2 units the RW-8 and RW-15 are really going to give vortech a run now. They have the same design of the pump with the wide flow just dont have the motor outside but they are pushing water the same way now and little more then the compared respected model. I was running a Tunze 6015 with my WP25 to fill in dead spots in back of tank but I dont think i need it with this pump with its wider flow and stronger undertow it seems to be making.
Videos are uploading and will post shortly

pcrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review awesome to hear a new model is coming out . Sound like they made some improvements

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry video taking to long..its 1gb to upload and i shot it at 4k with my S5 to try to give better quality to see the tank. 1 thing I didnt realize i had the phone flipped when shooting the RW8 video so i had to flip the video so it wasnt upside down

Mahni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for taking time to put up a review. I've researched quite a bit, but was not able to find any supporting documents which will share the maximum glass/acrylic thickness that either model/magnet will work. Now that you have 1 in hand, would you know what is the maximum thickness....?

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two wp40's in my tank now. My complaint is even though they push a lot of water I still get some diatoms and detritus build up in certain spots because of the lack of undertow. In your opinion so far, does this pump do a better job of moving water along the sand bed?

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ehhh i dont know that one. the magent is the exact same one that is on the WP25. i have a standard 40 breeder tank and it holds it pretty strong through that. I think the thickness on my tank is 3/8"

SmoothSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review! What size tank are you running the RW8 in? I have the wp-10 and am not satisfied with it in a 29 gallon. I'm thinking of upgrading to the rw8.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have 2 Pumps we bought from FishStreet, we paid 175$ SHIPPED. Your video is still being processed. Thank you for the Great review. :) we will keep you updated as well.!

we will be putting this on a 65G tank 36x18x24H. we have been running 2 WP25's With amazing Flow, its SPS DOM tank. Cant wait to install these Badboys later on and test them out.

The caption when we ordered them on fishstreet, we were under the impression that it was "WIRELESS" When they came we were trying to take out the Wire LOL! But its okay. Just supper STOKED to have them we got ours the 25th.

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont know what intensity each setting gives. i will look in the manual to see if it says
I am running a 40 breeder

i dont see anything in manual about what each power setting is..but the cover I found interesting. looks like they are making an even smaller unit RW-4 and a larger RW-20

Last edited:

YodaHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Thanks for the review. Do you know if there is an anti-sync mode on the controller? I would like to run 2 on opposite ends of the tank.

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
there is a C mode for use with 2 pumps. it turns them on and off in pump 1 on pump2 is off then pump2 is off and pump1 is on. you set the interval with the speed dial

Chefaaronec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked up 2 of these that came today still trying to figure out the master / slave modes and how they actually interact with each other... I am replacing my two wp25 in my 75 gallon.. Lights are off now so have to wait till the morning to mess more with them... I really really loved my wp25s, so we will see...

Back