Changing out Clarisea motor for <$15

pendraegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clarisea sk 5000 that gave the motor shorting error code. I followed the instructions on the website stating that most issues have to do with a wire disconnecting, but that wasn't the case for me. Looking around online, replacement motors would cost close to $200 to ship to the US. I saw that there is a thread about this but the pictures are gone and it was difficult to track down the items needed. I ended up using the Google image search on the motor which pointed me in the right direction.

The motor appears to be model JGB37‑520, which seems to be a generic motor with multiple different possible gearboxes attached to it. The motor is more powerful and shorter than the one that came with the Clarisea and only cost $11 on Amazon. I purchased a DC 12V 45rpm because I planned on changing the gearbox to the original one because the Clariseas drive had a threaded hole through it and the motors online did not.

This was fairly easy to do although the rotor on the new motor had a diagonal cut gear on it, while the Clarisea had a vertical one. I took the bottom gear off the new gearbox and replaced the Clariseas gear with it and it fit perfectly. After that, I was able to attach the gearbox to the new motor. Make sure the motor is turning clockwise, I originally wired the red wire to the positive terminal and the Clarisea rotated backward - so I had to take it apart again and change the wires to the opposite terminals. The motors and gearboxes both seem to follow a standard design, with all the screws lining up perfectly.

I had never used a soldering iron before but it wasn't too difficult. In the end, I saved a load of money over a replacement filter roller or a new Clarisea motor from across the Atlantic. motorinhousing.jpg motor size comparison.jpg motor gears.jpg motor gear comp.jpg

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Gen is the model? I wonder if there is any difference in the motors between 1 2 and 3.

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the information. I just ordered it yesterday in England for $180. But I’ll try to change it on the old one, if it works, let me know how it works.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have a gen 3 that is working perfectly right now but good to know this is available if I need it.

OP
OP
P

pendraegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the information. I just ordered it yesterday in England for $180. But I’ll try to change it on the old one, if it works, let me know how it works.
It seems to be working well so far, about 4 days in. If anything it seems stronger than the original

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back