Do I need to upgrade my pump? If so...to what?

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find the information about the return pump I was using in my 55. I remember that I bought it from a local pet store, it met my needs, and was affordable. I'm pretty sure its a Pondmaster Model 2 Utility Pump. (The link is to a similar pump, the specs don't quite match up to the label) The pump label wasn't too helpful (sorry the pic is upside down).
IMG_20150106_210910034.jpg
I was using it with an Eschopps PF-300 HOB overflow and had to have it dialed back with a valve because otherwise it pumped the return section of the sump dry faster than water drained back. The return was over the back so it had maybe 4.5 feet of head.

I'm trying to determine if I can use this pump on my rebuild because it's been quite reliable, is quiet, fairly easy to clean, and I'm just pretty happy with it. Better yet, I'd have my return plumbing already done if I use it.

My gut is telling me this won't be sufficient. My new build is a 90 with a corner overflow rated at 600GPH, holes are in the bottom pane. Since it's a taller tank there are a few more inches of head pressure. So, if this pump won't be sufficient...what do I need?

-Should GPH match the max overflow rate of 600GPH after accounting for head pressure? Or should it be less/more?
-Suggestions on brands/models? Obviously something quiet, but keeping down heat transfer and energy use is a plus. I'd like to keep it under $150 (I bet I can have 2 of those 3 things, maybe)
(if it matters, I have 2 RW8s to run in the tank for intank flow, sump will be a 29 gal with skimmer, fuge and then return section)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to upgrade your pump. I believe you have a Danner MAG 2 rated at 250 gph. With head loss, that's not enough for a 90 DT. I also have a 90 DT and run a MAG 9.5 with a 1500gph overflow. Yes, the overflow is overkill. With a 600 gph overflow, I think you should consider a MAG 7 or even maybe a Jebao 4000....a DC pump that is controllable where you can dial it back. Note that 4000 is in liter per hour which equals about 1050 gph. But again, these pumps can be dialed back.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured but it doesn't hurt to check. Guess I'll order a DC4000 tomorrow. I'm really happy with my RW8s and the price on fishstreet is pretty awesome...unless I'm missing something there $65 seems a bit low. (Not a complaint!)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao recently came out with the "T" series of pumps. I believe these are the newest versions of their DC pumps. So check for Jebao DCT 4000 versus the older Jebao DC 4000.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 on what he said may even look into the dc 6000. I think the 6000 is 1050 gph rated. Which may be okay also. Run it about 60%. But maybe I'm going to big lol.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new DCT4000 should be on its way shortly! Thanks for that idea!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back