• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

SC's Ultimate Chalice Growout

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's an update with before and during feeding pics- hopefully helps to clarify number of eyes currently on them-

% <- Gotta pay love to the gratuitous percent sign!

Single Eye of Flamethrower - I was wrong when I initially thought it was a double, just the 'brightness' of it threw me off
20110511-DSC_0441.jpg

20110511-DSC_0454.jpg

Rainbow Magic- I really think there's 3 or 4 eyes feeding, need to buy a magnifying glass to be sure, either way too small to frag as of yet, but good news for the growth (more food = more growth typically)
20110511-DSC_0442.jpg

20110511-DSC_0453.jpg

My Miami- Three eyes and can see the fourth eye forming at the 'top' eye- Probably going to be the first chalice to have a date with the band saw
20110511-DSC_0443.jpg

20110511-DSC_0452.jpg

Crazy Fox- two eyes on it
20110511-DSC_0444.jpg

20110511-DSC_0451.jpg

The Lingerie- I honestly am not sure the amount of eyes, need to stare at it a bit closer/more, but I tend to get distracted when looking into this tank...it's either a single or double, I'm thinking double though
20110511-DSC_0445.jpg

20110511-DSC_0450.jpg

Tyree Orange Rainbow- has 3 fully formed polyps, a massive zit polyp forming on one, plus two more nubs coming in- so we should have this fragged fairly soon
20110511-DSC_0446.jpg

20110511-DSC_0449.jpg

The Thing- This has been the only one causing me a headache- hasn't colored up yet, but is eating so just having patience and waiting on it to show off its colors, not to mention grow- single eye still
20110511-DSC_0447.jpg

20110511-DSC_0448.jpg

And...I just realized I totally forgot to take photo's of the Frozen Lava- DOH! I'll try and fix that tomorrow...errr...today, but later, yea.

your growout guys seems to be on the money great shots DB keep them eyes poppin

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Brian. I just updated the first thread. Please double-check that it's accurate.

CJ

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, all looks good CJ! Going to get the frags remounted, and I'll try and get a new photo update once I do the remount. I may also start pulling off a single polyp here and there on the zoa's just so I don't overstress the colony trying to frag them all at the same time. Once all are separated (over a few weeks or so to prevent the stress issue) I'll do a random draw to see who gets assigned what frag.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Thanks for the update and I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing the new pics!

CJ

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brian, How about an update? It has been almost 2 weeks and we haven't heard much. I hope all is well with you.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I'm really concerned. You have a lot of people wanting an up date on the money we have invested in you as a grower. I know that you have been having some back issues or whatever but it doesn't take much to say "hey guys still hav issues the coral looks good" so what gives? We need to know something!!!!

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He might not have email notification turned on for this thread, i think that's why he said pm him if we want an immediate response. I just sent him one, so let's not jump to conclusions.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I'm really concerned. You have a lot of people wanting an up date on the money we have invested in you as a grower. I know that you have been having some back issues or whatever but it doesn't take much to say "hey guys still hav issues the coral looks good" so what gives? We need to know something!!!!

you're totally right, I'll explain bellow

He might not have email notification turned on for this thread, i think that's why he said pm him if we want an immediate response. I just sent him one, so let's not jump to conclusions.

Thanks Brian, and true, I don't have email notification on this thread, not sure how to set it where I'd only get updates on this thread and not others I'm subscribed to?

But anyways- basically I'm sorry guys, I've slacked on keeping you guys up to date. In the process of moving, and between everything going on just haven't been logging onto the forums much. I know this aint a great excuse, and I'll try and make it up to you guys somehow (I'll toss in a chalice of my own into the growout or something? I'll come up with something)

haven't finished the move process, so once I have I'll get you guys a better update with pics and stuff. In short though, everything is looking good and growing

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks brian, looking forward to seeing this pictures! and we hope your doin alright.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I sent a PM the other day. No response yet. So is it just me or does anyone else find it odd to have to ask for an update once a month? I mean If you don't want to do the grow out or can't do it anymore, Brian, then we need to find someone else to. Actually I'm a little pi**** off to tell you the truth. Sorry if that offends anyone. But I don't just hand out $300 without an expectation of something to show for it..............But it looks like that is exactly what we ALL have done.

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also sent a PM his way a couple of days ago. I haven't heard back yet, either. I'm not too worried at this point, but will certainly be if no one has heard from him in another week or so. I completely understand the time drain that moving puts on someone, and how long it takes to really get settled in. Add any medical issue to it, and getting back to normal just takes that much longer.

That said... I don't know if he knew he was going to be moving at the start of this, but I probably wouldn't have opted in if I knew the grow out system was going to be torn down, moved, and set up again in the middle of it all. That's actually a big deal, IMO, considering the chances of something happening to everything during a move like that.

In any case, I am (for now) hopeful that everything is ok and still doing well. At the same time, I'm very eager for an update.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what to think. I understand how time consuming everything is, but Brian also promised weekly updates. He did a great job in the beginning, but his recent updates haven't been up to my expectations. I don't know him personally, but to this point he seems like a upstanding person and several people vouched for him. I just hope that everything is alright.

CJ

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do understand that things happen sometimes that we are not prepared for. I'm sure he wasn't planning on moving or having back problems while doing this growout. That being said if it was ME I would have been upfront about the move AS SOON AS I KNEW I was going to have to move. I guess that is just the type of person I am. If I had other people counting on me then I try to make sure that they are informed AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Even if it is just "hey they look good I fed them today and they ate". If you have done any trading with me you know that I give updates VERY OFTEN. Brian did a great job at the first of this. I'm not saying that he has screwed this up from the start. But lately it has sucked. I just want some information is all. That IS NOT too much to ask for.

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent him a text, so hopefully he signs on and gives us an update soon.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope you guys get your update and communication is key when doin something like this I believe just to keep everyone in the loop gl with the growout

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like the grower just got in over his head, a recent move is stressful enough with out health issue's. Lots of luck to you all

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back