• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

SC's Ultimate Chalice Growout

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This growout is full and has been underway since 3/9/11. Frags were picked up on 3/20/11.

---------------------

The buy-in is $280 and at the successful conclusion of the growout, each person will receive a one-eyed frag of the following (all photos compliments of SexyCorals):

Jason Fox Crazy Fox
crazyfox.jpg

BPC Flame Thrower
flame.jpg

SC Lingerie Chalice
LingerieChalice.jpg

SC The Thing
2-20.jpg

Rainbow Magic
Chalice_RainbowMagic.jpg

Jason Fox My Miami
mymiami1.jpg

Plus, Mike has thrown in an eye of the Tyree Limited Edition Frozen Lava Chalice
SCFrozenLava.jpg

and two polyps of the Tyree Orange Rainbow!
TyreeOrangeRainbow.jpg

The growout is sponsored by Mike at Sexy Corals and includes a two-eyed frag of Crazy Fox, one-eyed frags of the BPC Flame Thrower, the SC Lingerie Chalice, SC the Thing and a Rainbow Magic for $1,400. Drainbamage has volunteered to be the grower. Instead of putting in money, drainbamage is putting in a one-eyed frag of his My Miami. He also has a mother colony of the My Miami in case anything goes wrong with the frag.

Drainbamage has come highly recommended for being the grower. He has committed to sharing his email, phone number, address, etc. with the participants and will update the thread on a regular basis. He has posted his bio here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/meet-greet-forum/57462-who-am-i-dbs-bio.html

Currently, the following people are in this growout-
drainbamage (grower)
fsn77 (paid)
Dave3112 (paid)
xxBrianxx (paid)
CJO (paid)
oceanus (paid)

My thoughts are that each participant would send their money directly to Mike at SexyCorals (paypal to [email protected]) for his part in this. Once he has all the money, Mike will give the frags to drainbamage at a local meet on March 20th. This will save the frags the stress from shipping. Drainbamage would take on the growout and ship once all of the frags have at least six eyes so that all of the participants get one. If there are extra eyes, we can decide whether we want to resell them to recoup some of the investment or do something different (drainbamage had suggested drawing numbers for them).

To summarize, each participant (except drainbamage) will put in $280 ($1,400 divided by 5). Once the corals all have a minimum of 5 eyes, drainbamage will frag them and ship them to each of the participants. Each participant will be responsible the shipping costs of his frags. Each participant will get a one-eyed frag of each of the chalices. drainbamage will get one eye of each of the Sexy Coral frags and his original eye of the My Miami.

I think that this growout is a great opportunity to get some amazing chalices at rock bottom prices and low risk. However, please remember that these chalices are living creatures and there is always the possibility that something might happen to one or more of them and that no one can guarantee the success of the growout.

------------
As of 3/9/11, everyone is comfirmed to have paid Mike at SexyCorals. Next step is waiting for the frag swap on 3/20/11.

-----------
As of 3/20/11, drainbamage has picked up the frags from SexyCorals and they are settling into his tank.

-----------
Here are pics of the frags on 3/22/11, courtesy of drainbamage (sorry, have to link to the post as I can only put 15 pics in a post)

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/group-buys/57398-scs-ultimate-chalice-growout-4.html#post642193

----------
As of 4/8/11 the Tyree Orange Rainbow has another polyp!

----------
4/10/11
Just read in another thread that the SC Frozen Lava chalice has been named a Tyree LE! I just changed the heading above its picture.

----------
5/5/11
Updated pics:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/group-buys/57398-scs-ultimate-chalice-growout-8.html#post677378

---------
6/3/11

original -> current status
My Miami- started with 1 full eye and 1 partial eye, now at 4 eyes and outgrowing the frag plug
Flamethrower- started with 1 eye and now at 1 eye with a second possibly forming
Crazy Fox- started with 2 eyes and now getting close to outgrowing frag plug
Rainbow Magic- started with 1 eye, now coloring up and now has 3-4 eyes, but no real growth yet
Lingerie- started with 1 eye, we've had good growth, now covering 60% of 2x2 plug
Frozen Lava- started with 3 eyes and have seen a small amount of growth
The Thing- started with 1 eye and it has colored up very well and still looking better every day
Orange Rainbow zoa- started with 2 polyps and are now at 4+ polyps

----------
10/17/11

Since it appears that Drainbamage can no longer do the growout, SD Actuary has agreed to take it over. He picked up the chalices yesterday from Brian. Here is the updated status of the chalices:

My Miami- started with 1 full eye and 1 partial eye, now at 7 eyes with one or two more on the way 1.5" diameter and outgrowing the frag plug
Flamethrower- started with 1 eye and still at 1 eye
Crazy Fox- started with 2 eyes but fell on top of another chalice and didn't make it
Rainbow Magic- started with 1 eye now has 2 eyes
Lingerie- started with 1 eye and is now up to 8 eyes and at 1.5" diameter
Frozen Lava- started with 3 eyes and has not grown much and is looking rough
The Thing- started with 1 eye and is about the same
Orange Rainbow zoa- started with 2 polyps and has really taken off, it is at 14 polyps now

Updated pictures are available here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/group-buys/57398-scs-ultimate-chalice-growout-25.html#post788966

CJ

Last edited:

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck guys! Only thing that's going to be rough is the flame thrower which is a very slow grower. I've had one since May and now 10 months later I only have one extra eye.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Oceanus got his PM in at 9:36 AM (EST), followed by ThePipBUll and then SD Actuary. So Oceanis is taking the last spot and ThePipBUll and SD Actuary are alternates. I'm going to send out PMs to all the participants to double check that they are all still in.

CJ

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all you guys who always seem to choose Sexycorals for the growout.!! Ill make it worth it for you guys!! Im gonna throw in a nice surprise for all you guys to grow out too.. :bigsmile:

Who doesnt love surprises.. RIGHT?? and of course no boo boo stuff here.. Everything even the freebies are high end as always!! :xd:

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How soon can we send our money to Sexy Corals?
And, what type of comment or note should we make so he knows why we are sending him $300?

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I've gotten confirmation from everyone, so the final participants are
drainbamage (grower)
fsn77
Dave3112
xxBrianxx
CJO
oceanus

Thanks for everyone else asking about getting on board, but it looks like we are all set now.

Next step- I'm sending a PM to Mike about the final price. I'm pretty sure that that $1,400 price included shipping, so I'm asking whether or not that will be discounted since they do not have to be shipped to drainbamage. I'm going to ask him to post to this thread so that everything is out in the open (assuming he's OK with that). I'd like each of the participants to PM me the email addresses that they use for their PayPal account so that Mike knows who you are. Also, it would probably be a good idea to reference this thread with your payment :)

Also, a few other caveats that I'm sure you know, but want to make sure. Reef2Reef has nothing official to do with this growout and aren't responsible for its results. SexyCorals responsibility for the growout ends once he delivers the frags in good condition to drainbamage.

I'm really excited about this and hope that all of you are too!

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all you guys who always seem to choose Sexycorals for the growout.!! Ill make it worth it for you guys!! Im gonna throw in a nice surprise for all you guys to grow out too.. :bigsmile:

Who doesnt love surprises.. RIGHT?? and of course no boo boo stuff here.. Everything even the freebies are high end as always!! :xd:

That's awesome! It's like Christmas Eve.

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the price is still $1,400. I tried intimidation, blackmail, pyrokenisis and a few other things, but that's as low as he can go. That's $280 per person and a really sweet deal. I'm sending my payment now.

Thanks!
CJ

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the price is still $1,400. I tried intimidation, blackmail, pyrokenisis and a few other things, but that's as low as he can go. That's $280 per person and a really sweet deal. I'm sending my payment now.

Thanks!
CJ

Lol, and considering the freebie's he likes to throw in, I'm thinking the 1400 is still quite a steal. Thanks for getting this to happen CJ, and thanks Mike for well, making this happen as well!

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, please send me a PM when you send in your payment so that I can keep track. I've already sent mine in.

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys! Again thanks for choosing me.. Go ahead and send paypal to [email protected]

Please put in the notes "R2r Growout #5 "

thanks guys!!

Bump.. AFAIK, 2 payments sent (mine and Dave112). Payment due is $280. Please PM me once payment has been sent.

Also, I've updated the first thread with the updated information (all participants, cost, link to drainbamage's bio, etc.) and pictures.

Thanks!
CJ

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! thanks for the top page update CJ!

Mike-have we met the deposit to at least get the corals fragged? If so, do you think it'd work to pick them up at the frag swap or just get them later (if they need longer to heal.)

CJ/guys, want me to keep posting in this thread or should we start a new one once the corals have arrived?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back