• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

SC's Ultimate Chalice Growout

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike!

good news- the Tyree orange rainbow is putting out a pup already and seems to be eating well, so very happy there! All the chalices, not much to say- they keep eating and otherwise glowing :bigsmile: Going to try mixing up the feeding with some cyclopeeze for the BPC, it eats the reef caviar but I get the feeling even that may be a little too big for it.

=one thing I wanted to get your guys opinion on- considering the different growth rate of the chalices (the MM is at three eyes eating, the Crazy fox is still at two eyes but has colored up nicely and has a complete growth rim, so should begin to take off, others still at single eyes) I was debating what to do as the chalices grow. My inclination now is, with my new bigger frag tank (yay!), is that once the chalices have hit the right amount of eyes (there's 5 of us, right? I keep forgetting :xd:) we can do one of two things

-keep them as a colony, then later frag them up, heal, ship and figure out who gets what extra eyes.
or (and my preference)
- Once they've hit the right number of eyes (plus some growth) I'll go ahead and frag the chalice, and each person will get assigned one of the new frags. That way, any additional growth the frags put on is already assigned to a person, and it'll just be random luck who gets the most growth after the fragging, so we won't have to determine later who gets the extra growth. Additionally, the ones that get fragged first (thinking the MM and CF) will be that much more healed up and less of a risk whenever we do ship.

Let me know everyone's thoughts, we have some time to decide, but would like to get a plan of attack going.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking about this today actually. I vote that when we get the right number of eyes you cut them up and assign a name to the frag that way it just has that much more time to heal and, of course, GROW!! Hopefully the others will take off and grow as well as the MM and CF!!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I love the grow out threads more than anything. They are so exciting! What a great line up in this grow out! I am very jealous and hope something like this grow out happens when I am up and ready and that it will be with a grower that is as dedicated as DB! MAD PROPS!

Moochi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This grow thread is really interesting. Though I hope something like this happen again so I can hop on something like this.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those of you saying you want to get in on the next growout....don't wait! PM each other, figure out what you want, and go from there. Waiting for someone else to set one up is a lot less successful than just picking out some stuff you want, and then asking if anyone wants to go in on it with ya.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks DB, only way to live is to put it out there!

Got to take care of a few minor details first though. ;). Then I got my eye on the convict and rising sun chalices from SC. I like the stripes!

In the meantime I will follow allow here. I think there is alot of good info in growing threads.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like getting your tank up? LOL

You got a good (and expensive) eye for chalices. I would have loved the convict in this pack too.

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave- did I read in another thread that you are in NC (your location says Athens, AL)?

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read in another thread that SC's Frozen Lava Chalice has just been named as a Tyree LE! I've gone ahead and updated the first post with the info.

CJ

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave- did I read in another thread that you are in NC (your location says Athens, AL)?

CJ

I've been in NC working for about a month now. I am from AL but I just have a house there. LOL. I work all over about 6-8 months out of the year.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said... Minor. Hahaha. Working on that today actually.

And then let the Finacial destruction begin. Haha. Well hoping it won't be so bad with a grow out. You guys got a good pack going. For now I'm content to follow along.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in NC working for about a month now. I am from AL but I just have a house there. LOL. I work all over about 6-8 months out of the year.

Travelling that much sucks. Where in NC are you?

CJ

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my vote's for #2 too. I'm curious though are you gonna baby the fragged up ones as much as you do the originals lol?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to snap a few pictures by chance?

I was going to borrow my buddies dive-cam, but the battery is toasted on it, so right now I'm just stuck with the camera on my droid2. I'll see what I can get snapped on it though for ya, a tad tricky with the way they're sitting on the frag rack though, but we'll see.

my vote's for #2 too. I'm curious though are you gonna baby the fragged up ones as much as you do the originals lol?

Lol- everything in the tank gets fed and cared for- regardless of what it is, so yes, the youngins will get fed and encouraged to grow just as much as any of the others.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah traveling like this sucks sometimes but it pays the bills. LOL! I'm down on Oak Island until the end of the week. Then I get to head home for a few weeks before I go over to Germany for a few months.

No problem DB! It's no big deal. I know camera phone pics are tricky!

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in favor of cutting those that reach the right number of eyes early, giving them more time to heal, and potentially grow extra eyes while we wait for the others to catch up. Realistically, just about all of us involved have a pretty good chance of getting more eyes of at least one of the chalices than we paid for.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back