• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

SC's Ultimate Chalice Growout

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea- straight out I'm going to have to apologize- after putting up that post I woke up a few hours later on the couch where I had passed out, crawled to bed and slept for about 8 hours. I had said I was running on ten hours of sleep over the last three days- did the math and realized it was actually 8 :xd:
Today kept meaning to go get the pics, but some other wrap-ups for the weekend had to get done first, and now it's 2 am and I'm beat. I had to choose between feeding the chalices and getting pics, and feeding sounded a lot funner than post-processing, so got that done. All our stuff is eating like champs though, including the bonus zoa, so very happy with that. Plus Mike screwed up and gave us more than one eye on a few of the one-eye chalices, so we should really send him a complaint :tongue:

Tomorrow I have nothing on the agenda besides the pictures, so they WILL get put up, promise guys- and this sort of a weekend is really rare (unless I get a new roomate who also has a crazy-awesome wedding on the same weekend as a farmers market :tongue: )

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra eyes are great! Now, no more weddings.. we want pics!! :)

CJ

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been refreshing this page for like the past hour hahaha :cry:

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright guys- sorry for the long delay with the pics, not the way I meant to get things started, but I'll make that up by making things grow faster :wink:

%<- GPS

So introducing our chalice pack...

1 eye JF My Miami (has second eye forming and eating, but still juvenile)
03221103SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

2 eye JF Crazy Fox
03221104SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

1 eye Rainbow Magic
03221105SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

1 eye SC Lingerie
03221106SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

1 real big ol' eye of The Thing
03221107SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

2 eye BPC Flamethrower (Sexycorals screwed up and gave us 2 eyes instead of 1, oops :angel: )
03221110SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

and our freebies :smile:

2 polyp (one is hiding under other) Tyree Orange Rainbows
03221102SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

3 eyed SC Frozen lava
03221109SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

all pics are taken in my tank under t5's

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step is going to have to be moving them over to bigger frag discs as they seem to enjoy doing this... (pics suck, but wasn't too worried about crisp pics)

%<- GPS

03221112SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

03221113SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

03221114SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

03221115SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

03221116SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

03221117SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

03221118SCChaliceGrowout.jpg

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh.. my work's spam filter won't allow the pics because you have Sexy in the title. Any chance you could change them to SC instead? Sounds like they are looking good, but would love to see the pics too.

Thanks,
CJ

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome, good luck with everything. Too bad it will be years for the FT and rainbow magic to grow large enough to frag. My rainbow magic barely grows and I feed it, try to keep it in low light, it will do better.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reposted pictures from above. Hope you don't mind me relinking these to my photobucket account so that I can see them at work.

BPC Flamethrower (with 2 eyes!)
BPCFlamethrower3-22-11.jpg

Jason Fox Crazy Fox (2 eyes)
CrazyFox3-22-11.jpg

Jason Fox My Miami (1 eye and 1 growing)
MyMiami3-22-11.jpg

SC Rainbow Magic (1 eye)
RainbowMagic3-22-11.jpg

SC Frozen Lava (3 eyes)
SCFrozenLava3-22-11.jpg

SC Lingerie (1 eye)
SCLingerie3-22-11.jpg

SC The Thing (1 huge eye)
TheThing3-22-11.jpg

Tyree Orange Rainbow (2 polyps, one is hiding)
TyreeOrangeRainbow3-22-11.jpg

CJ

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh.. my work's spam filter won't allow the pics because you have Sexy in the title. Any chance you could change them to SC instead? Sounds like they are looking good, but would love to see the pics too.

Thanks,
CJ

Sorry CJ, I actually thought about that but wanted to use these to write up a feedback for SC for the pack, so labelled as such. All future's I'll just use the SC tag on them.

What is that you are feeding them? Corals look great!

It's H20 Life's Reef Caviar, thanks!

Looks awesome, good luck with everything. Too bad it will be years for the FT and rainbow magic to grow large enough to frag. My rainbow magic barely grows and I feed it, try to keep it in low light, it will do better.

I look forward to proving you wrong :bigsmile: but thanks for the compliments!

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow they look great! and no problem haha I was just excited. Have you noticed more growth with reef caviar in the past?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow they look great! and no problem haha I was just excited. Have you noticed more growth with reef caviar in the past?

Honestly it's the only thing I've used on a consistent basis- and I'd rather not compare it against folks who use something different as I fear I might come across as impolite/a jerk by doing so- but yes, i've been very very pleased with my growth rates on stuff. I'll try and post up a few examples at some point in a separate thread, but don't hold you breath, I've been saying I'll do that for awhile now, lol.
Compared to pellets though- it packs more protein and corals are much hungrier for it- they'll eat more in one sitting of the RC than they will the pellets (such as spectrum.) At the recent farmers market, I had an Acan on display that about 3 out of 4 people asked what sort of coral it is- the feeders stay out non-stop reaching for food, and I attribute it entirely to being fed with the RC- the coral never stops being hungry and wanting more. That piece grew from the original chunk I bought to three-four times the size in aprox 1 year, and that was with inconsistent feedings and a tank that underwent a mini-crash three times during it's time frame in the tank, plus being fragged a few times- so not too bad :tongue:

Actually- here's an example-

%<- GPS

This was a by-product frag that was about 80% of a single head of a baby polyp (maybe 1/4" across) when I originally glued it to a frag plug. did it as a semi-joke just for the heck of it, roomate called me crazy/dumb (which he's right, but in this case wasn't :tongue:)

RedPlasmaFrag2copy.jpg

So from that single polyp frag (I know the pic has more than a single polyp, never took a pic of it until it grew a bit) it grew into this

RedPlasmaAcan.jpg

in about a 6 month time frame, give or take. So IMO, pretty good growth rate.

And here's the frag I mentioned of it that never retracts its feeder tentacles

030911032.jpg

Though in my main tank where I rarely ever feed, the colony in there doesn't put out feeders as much, but still hopes
_1110501.jpg

alright- enough off topic :tongue: sorry if you guys were only wanting chalice photo's, I'll try and stay on track :angel:

Last edited:

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off guys- please feel free to drop a post in here asking for an update- for the most part things are going to happen in weekly or bi-weekly increments (they ARE chalices after all :tongue: ) but if you get an itch to find out about something, hit me up, I don't mind it. If life take me away from the comp for a bit, I'll let you know.

So as a mini-update, I'll just tell you things are looking good. The Thing still hasn't colored up fully, so moved him into a bit more shade. The My Miami decided it looked unbalanced with just one new eye, so has now two new eyes forming. Everyone else looks real nice, the crazy fox has his feeders out all day, and everyone else is looking real good. The second polyp on the Tyree Orange Rainbow still hasn't opened- but the one pictured is open ALL the time, and there's not fungus or anything bad looking, so I'm assuming the polyp that got more glue is just more PO'd and will take his time to open up. But yea, everything else is looking good- I lost access to the camera I was previously using, working on picking up a new one, and for now Scubajay is going to let me bum his dive camera, so will be able to get some decent shots put up still. Off to feed everything again, cheers!

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some LFS carry it. I, personally, feed mine tobiko and masago from the asian grocery store (at least what the kids don't finish off) and prawn eggs from the LFS. All types of eggs are very high in beneficial fats and amino acids. I've also been wanting to try the LPS food by Fauna Marin. Has anyone else tried it yet? I know that Cherry Corals uses it exclusively.

CJ

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it too late to join this?

yes, this one is already underway- check back from time to time though, you'll see people starting these up fairly regularly.

=Just got done feeding everyone again- only thing of note is the Flamethrower is continuing to eat a little bit- know it doesn't sound great, but if he continues to accept food, he'll just accept more and more which means better growth :bigsmile: so very happy still. Got the new tank up and running, so once I'm sure it's all dialed in, these guys will get transferred over and I can step up the feeding that much more.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back