• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

SC's Ultimate Chalice Growout

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some, perhaps, bad news. I have the plug with the zoas on them in my sandbed, right near my other zoas. I didn't have time yesterday morning to feed my corals, so I went home at lunch to do it. I noticed the zoas and a small fungia nearby had been pushed against the rocks and the zoas were overturned. I turned them back over and they were mostly covered with some kind of mucous. I got most of it off and put them back in place. I don't know how good or bad they are, but wanted to keep everyone informed. I'll let you know what they look like today when I go home for lunch.

As for the two chalices, they are doing well. The Rainbow Magic has really started to take off growth wise. I fed it a bunch of fish eggs and it chowed down so many, it looked more like a fungia eating than a chalice!

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update on the zoas. It looks like 2, possibly 3 polyps survived. At this point, only one of them has started to open up. I'm not sure what happened as I don't have anything in my aquarium that would normally do anything like that. All I can think of is that a nassarius snail came up under it and knocked it over and then something else pushed it into the rock. In any case, I've moved it up to my frag rack so nothing like this can happen again.

CJ

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks CJ. It seems like this grow out is just jinxed. I know you didn't do anything like this on purpose. Don't beat yourself up about it. I hope everything recovers for you guys.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another quick update. I took these pictures last Wednesday, but went out of town before I had a chance to upload them.

One of the Tyree Orange Rainbow polyps had opened up fully when I took the picture:
DSC_1690.jpg

I looked at it this morning and it looks like two more are starting to open up.

Here is the SC Rainbow Magic. It has really taken off, but still only has 2 eyes.
SCRainbowMagic6-19-12.jpg

Finally, the last chalice. We've been calling it the SC Lingerie, as that's what Scott said it was, but I'm not sure because it doesn't look anything like the picture on Mike's website. I'll try to do some more research to see what it is. In any case, I'm counting 12 eyes now, and I'm not sure if I got them all!
SCLingerie6-19-12.jpg

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I've been doing some more research and going back through this thread with the pictures. I'm fairly certain that the chalice that Scott got from Brian (and I got from Scott) is not the SC Lingerie. It looks like it may be the Strawberry Orange Sherbert [sic].

Here's the SC Lingerie on Mike's website

SC Lingerie Chalice
LingerieChalice.jpg

Here are the last pictures of the one taken by Brian (not the square frag plug).

The Lingerie- I honestly am not sure the amount of eyes, need to stare at it a bit closer/more, but I tend to get distracted when looking into this tank...it's either a single or double, I'm thinking double though
20110511-DSC_0445.jpg

20110511-DSC_0450.jpg

Here's one taken by Scott from Brian's tank. I actually think that this was mislabeled and that it is the SC Rainbow Magic.

Here's the picture of what Scott got from Brian. Doesn't look anything like the other pictures to me. I included the second picture of the Rainbow Magic so that you can see it's resemblance to the picture above.

There has been a change of ownership in the frags for this grow out. Brian has decided to step down as grower due to the business of his current life situation. I will be growing out the rest of the frags for the duration of the grow out.

Lingerie
Lingerie-1.jpg

Rainbow Magic
RainbowMagic-4.jpg

Here's my latest picture, which is fairly similar to the one Scott took above, just not under actinics.

Finally, the last chalice. We've been calling it the SC Lingerie, as that's what Scott said it was, but I'm not sure because it doesn't look anything like the picture on Mike's website. I'll try to do some more research to see what it is. In any case, I'm counting 12 eyes now, and I'm not sure if I got them all!
SCLingerie6-19-12.jpg

Last edited:

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for keeping up with this all. It's been a long road.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new pics

SCOrangeRainbow7-30-12.jpg

SCLingeriea7-30-12.jpg

SCRainbowMagic7-30-12.jpg

And I got a new fragging tool for when the time finally comes

FraggingTools7-30-12.jpg

CJ

Last edited:
OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. I've been out of town a lot lately. I had been feeding the chalices daily. This has started to cause a nutrients issue in my aquarium lately, so I stopped spot-feeding my LPS for a while until I get the algae back under control. Here are some pics I took this morning.

Orange Sherbert (I hope you don't mind that I'm renaming this as I'm pretty sure this is actually what I got). This has gotten a bit bigger and has colored up a bit more, though you can't really tell by this pic.

OrangeSherbert9-21-12_zpsb2f900f9.jpg

SC Rainbow Magic. It has gotten a bit bigger and looks like it's finally starting to grow some new eyes!

SCRainbowMagic9-21-12_zps18df4893.jpg

Tyree Orange Rainbow. These are the same- 2 polyps. I accidently brushed them when picking up the plug, which is why they are closing in the picture.

OrangeRainbow9-21-12_zps3832e170.jpg

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, unfortunately, have some bad news. When I looked at my tank the other day before doing a waterchange, I saw that the Tyree Orange Rainbow Palys were gone. I'm not sure what happened. The plug is still there on the frag rack, undisturbed, but the polyps are just gone. I'm going to leave it there for a few weeks to see if anything appears, but I don't see any flesh at all :(

The two remaining chalices, which are close bye, are doing just fine. I'll try to get some pics up this evening.

CJ

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another casualty... :(
They survived through so much thus far, I thought they'd hang on the rest of the way. It happens though.

Just curious... How many of us are still left in this adventure?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back