• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

SC's Ultimate Chalice Growout

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The My Miami died last night, it went from OK to dead in about 12 hours, it looked decent from day one but i guess it never was happy after it got completely stung prior to be acquiring it. I am back from out-of-town for the next week and a half then i go back on the road. My work schedule is picking up dramatically over the next 3 months. I will be out of the house about half of the entire 3 months, in 4-6 day periods and then home for 3-5 days, etc. Obviously i wont be able to give my tank near as much attention, If you guys have any concerns with me growing this let me know, i have no problem stepping down and passing the frags off or ending it and divvying them up as is.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about the loss. From what I've read it wasn't your fault at all. Once a piece gets stung, it's almost a sure bet that it will deteriorate and die. From your last picture of it, you could tell it was suffering. Hope everything else does well for you guys. gl.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The My Miami died last night, it went from OK to dead in about 12 hours, it looked decent from day one but i guess it never was happy after it got completely stung prior to be acquiring it. I am back from out-of-town for the next week and a half then i go back on the road. My work schedule is picking up dramatically over the next 3 months. I will be out of the house about half of the entire 3 months, in 4-6 day periods and then home for 3-5 days, etc. Obviously i wont be able to give my tank near as much attention, If you guys have any concerns with me growing this let me know, i have no problem stepping down and passing the frags off or ending it and divvying them up as is.

Wow, that sucks with the My Miami, not sure what to say.

I don't think that we are to the point where we can split them up, but I'd be interested in hearing everyone else's opinions. As far as having someone else take it over, I think that I'd prefer for them to be kept where they are. With all the frags have been through before, I don't think that changing their environment again would be at all helpful. However, if you don't feel good about keeping them, let us know.

CJ

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with CJ. It sucks about the MM but with everything that has happened with this grow out I'll just be happy to get a couple of pieces in the end. I have complete confidence in your growing abilities. But if you don't have the time or desire to continue to be the grower please let us know.

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with not passing on the frags unless SD wants / needs someone else to take over. More moving just seems like it'll put more stress on these already troubled / recovering corals.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Scott shipped the frags to me last night via USPS Express, which guaranteed them to be here by noon. The mailman got here just before noon, but there was no package. Apparently, it's somewhere between San Diego and here :( I'll keep everyone updated on when they arrive and their condition.

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mailman just got here and didn't have the box. However, when I was talking to her, her supervisor called and said it just came in and that they are sending someone out with it now. It should be here in about 5 minutes. I'll keep everyone updated.

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, just got the box. It is better news than I expected, 2 of the 3 chalices (I also ordered the SC Dynamite) look to be in decent condition as well as the zoa. I'm not sure which chalice didn't make it, but knowing my luck and the fact that it was the only double-bagged chalice, I'm guessing it's the SC Dynamite.

Here's the box when I got it

DSC_0061.jpg

I opened it up and it was well-packaged, with styrofoam and a heat pack. The heat pack still had some warmth in it.

DSC_0062.jpg

Some of the newspaper was wet and there was some water lying in the bottom

DSC_0063.jpg

Here are the chalices as they came out. Most of them were in good condition considering. The water was cool, but not cold.

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

This one had broken, but there was still water in the bag and it appears to be OK.

DSC_0064.jpg

This one was double-bagged and the inside bag had broken. When I opened it, it smelled like dead fish and I don't see any flesh on the skeleton.

DSC_0066.jpg

I then put the water (except for the water from the dead? chalice) and the corals into an acclimation container.

DSC_0068.jpg

I now have them floating in the tank to bring them up to temperature before I start changing out the water.

DSC_0069.jpg

I'm not sure which chalice didn't make it, but I'll let you know as soon as I find out from Scott and we'll go from there. For now, I'm going to concentrate on getting them acclimated.

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, good news for the group, bad news for me. It was indeed the SC Dynamite that didn't make it. Some more good news- it looks like Scott mis-counted. There are 6 good sized polyps and 2 baby polyps on the Tyree Orange Rainbow zoa.

CJ

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's hope this is the last big change for these frags and things really turn around for this grow out.
Sorry to hear the one you paid extra for didn't make it... That sucks.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't really have anything to do with this growout, but I just wanted to let everyone know that Scott is truly going above and beyond to make things right with the frag that didn't make it.

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK- I figured that you guys would want to see a picture of them in my tank. Well, here they are!

Tyree Orange Rainbow Zoas
TyreeOrangeRainbow4-6-12.jpg

SC Lingerie
SCLingerie4-6-12.jpg

SC Rainbow Magic
SCRainbowMagic4-6-12.jpg

There is a little bit of recession on the chalices, but they look like they will do just fine.

Also, I'm not sure if it's me or if Scott had trouble counting, but looking at the SC Lingerie under blue LEDs, it looks like there are 7 good eyes!
SCRainbowMagicAct4-6-12.jpg

I'll see how they eat in the morning.

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they were at this morning's feeding. The SC Lingerie and Rainbow Magic were hungry and the Orange Rainbows were starting to open.

SCLingerie4-7-12.jpg

SCRainbowMagic4-7-12.jpg

TyreeOrangeRainbow4-7-12.jpg

CJ

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the updates. and dang I'm really sorry about the dynamite...:sad:

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some quick picks yesterday evening and thought I'd update the thread. They all seem to be doing well and both of the chalices are hungry! The pics are a bit blurry, so I'll be sure to use a top-down box next time.

Lingerie:
SCLingerie04-19-12.jpg

Rainbow Magic:
SCRainbowMagic04-19-12.jpg

Orange Rainbows:
TyreeOrangeRainbow04-19-12.jpg

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you guys would like an update. Everything has settled in well and they are all eating like champs! I gave the Rainbow Magic a little too much light in the beginning and it lost a little color, so I've moved it back to some shade.

Here's the SC Lingerie
SCLingerie5-5-12.jpg

SC Rainbow Magic
SCRainbowMagic5-5-12.jpg

Tyree Orange Rainbow
TyreeOrangeRainbow5-3-12.jpg

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd throw up some updated pics. Unfortunately, I forgot to take some of the Orange Rainbows, but they are about the same as last time.

SCLingerie6-1-12.jpg

SCRainbowMagic6-1-12.jpg

CJ

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back