Rick's Ulitmate Build

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bride gave me the green light to build my ultimate tank. But we were in the market for a new house so that had to come first. Moving a 500g tank would just be impractical so I had to be patient. I tore down my 240 when I moved last and because I was at that time single and doing a lot of traveling I didn't set it back up. So in the planning stages of the new tank I set up an 80g and began to collect frags for the new one. We finally found the perfect house.

I could have done whatever I wanted. I could have torn out walls or had a dedicated fish room or even converted the casita (mother in law quarters). Any size or style tank. What freedom! Within limits of course, she really had no idea of the costs and time that would be associated with a large tank. However I know the costs, and I know my limits. I know that I burn out on too much maintenance and so will neglect it so that limited size. And we also like to travel so it has to be automated enough to handle 2 weeks with limited attention.

The original plan was for it to be in an room that was an office. But after 2 months in the new house we found that with it in a separate room we spent a whole lot less time looking at the small tanks. And I wasn't happy with it.

And so the first of September after having moved in and somewhat settled I finally ordered the tank. 48" x 96" x 24" acrylic tank from ATM Acrylic Aquariums Acrylic Fish Tank Fish Tanks Manufacturing They are local and I have known them for a long time. The tank will be set up peninsula style. The final plans for the overflow will be 36" along a 48" side with 6" on each side that will have a removable acrylic plate to hide Tunzes behind. 3 1 1/2" holes and 2 1" holes in the overflow area. The 1 1/2" for drains for the failsafe silent method and 1" for return with a 1" spare

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is gonna be awesome! Can't wait to see this one develope.

Dave

Thanks, I am pretty excited myself.

The stand consists of 2 sections that are 8' long 2' wide and 3' tall to accommodate fitting through my door. 2" steel, square tubing on the supports and angled on the bottom for max area below, all powder coated.
IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

I epoxy coated a 3/4" sheet of plywood for it to sit on, and then placed a pond liner on top of that.

Last edited:

tcfab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, ATM builds some amazing stuff. I ment to visit them last time I was in Vegas but couldn't find them:sad:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Rick you made it!!!!! Lol
Gonna be a cool build for sure..;) btw you will love this place... Our home site is dead!!!!! I should have your volute and reactor this week for ya... Wednesday I'm hoping...

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Rick you made it!!!!! Lol
Gonna be a cool build for sure..;) btw you will love this place... Our home site is dead!!!!! I should have your volute and reactor this week for ya... Wednesday I'm hoping...

I should be at Home Depot picking up some more stuff for the build, but just can't get motivated this morning. This would be good time time to thank troylee for all his help and diy skills! With all his many projects on his own he has managed to do a few for me, including a DIY ATB 1050 deluxe (which totally kicks) and a custom calcium reactor.
IMG_0862.jpg

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, ATM builds some amazing stuff. I ment to visit them last time I was in Vegas but couldn't find them:sad:

They moved recently. I will get some pictures next time I go down there, and they promised to take some pictures of the build for me. When I was there last they had a 35' tank that was recently completed and about a 50' pool panel they were working on.

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting which I have been working on this weekend will consist of 3 400w 20k radiums. These will be supplemented by 4 6ft VHOs. I built the rack to hold 6 if needed. I have 2 UVL super actinics with built in reflectors and 2 aqua suns. I also have 48 DIY LEDs to play with
sm0859.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what you get to look forward to... Just took this pic 2 min ago.

Looks yummy, I can't wait.

For filtration, as you have already seen there is the ATB 1050 skimmer. Also a Geo reactor I will use for ozone and 2 next reef reactors for carbon and gfo. using a gen-x pump to feed it

For circulation I have 3 Tunze 6100, 1 Tunze 6101 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 Tunze 6201
IMG_0863.jpg

Calcium Reactor is just a DIY reactor, I told troylee to make it about the size of a 5 gallon bucket, nothing fancy in fact I told him he could make it from scraps lol. I just got tired of messing with metric pvc fittings that come on all the manufactured ones . I have a reactor that is mickey moused to make work on my 80 and another sitting around because I can't get a metric fitting. Have a little Tunze pump for circulation on it.

I picked up an APEX to control, well everything. I have a E8B for lighting and another for sump area. I have the Tunze adapters to control the pumps and ph probe for the reactor and orp for the ozone

I picked up 100 lbs of pukani and 50 of dried fiji from BRS and have another 75 of fiji on the way. I also have about 150 of live rock to get it started. I plan on going with min scaping so I probably wont use it all, but I want to have plenty to pick from when I build my structures and can sell what I dont want to use. Or since I am a hoarder put it in a box and store it for the next tank lol
IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

I ran 2 20 amp circuits. Both protected by gfi. One outlet is at the light level and the other below tank level so I can minimize the wires in sight. Each outlet has both circuits in it.
IMG_0890.jpg

The sump is a 100g tank modified by Leemar with baffles and drilled with a hole for a 1 1/2 bulkhead
IMG_0891.jpg

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been partial to sps and the have been my main interest for the last 15 years or so. It will be sps dominated with a few lps, favias, acans, chalices etc. I have about 50 sps and a half dozen chalices in a grow out tank that need more room. Talked with ATM yesterday and they were working on the overflow of my tank so should be within the next couple of days. Finished my DIY ca reactor

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet looking setup! How many gallons total do you estimate it to be?
Thanks! Should be just a little over 500g,with about 9" of water in the sump I estimate another 40 gallons to the 480. I won't be doing a fuge and because of placement probably will keep the frag tanks seperate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank will be sweet!! BTW, what are you skimming alraedy?

Thanks, I am jacked and can't wait.
Thats actually Lee's skimmer, he has the exact same one and was showing me what to expect. I do have mine running on some live rock in a 90g but there is no water level control so the skimmer output is not consistant.

AndyDuckets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when it comes to hoarding... i think everyone in this hobby does it to some extent! i cant wait to see more pictures....

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back