Rick's Ulitmate Build

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Rick, I was wondering how things have been with the tank just the other day. I agree we need a FTS!

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't manage a FTS yesterday got hung up on other things. Here are a couple top down shots
IMG_2025_sm.jpg

IMG_2014_sm.jpg

IMG_2008_sm.jpg

IMG_2006_sm.jpg

IMG_2005_sm.jpg

IMG_2004_sm.jpg

IMG_2002_sm.jpg

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough crowd... ok here are the FTS, color off because only LEDs are on
fts1212south_zpsf3e421f6.jpg

fts1212side_zps074c7d62.jpg

fts1212north_zpse8c764c5.jpg

OP
OP
VegasRick

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the whole thread and your tank is amazing. how do you like the BB? and are you doing anything extra like dosing since you dont have sand? thanks and cant wait to see some more pictures.

Thanks! I find BB much easier to maintain low nutrient that sps prefer. Every tank I have had since about 97 or so has been bare bottom.
I assume you are talking about carbon dosing. In the past tanks I have never dosed. This one is different, the main difference is some dried rock I used that made up about 80 percent of the rock that and it is leaching phosphates. I have been changing out gfo weekly for almost 2 years. So to try and cut back on the amount I use I started dosing. I started with pellets about a year ago but didn't really notice any difference. The problem is probably low nitrates as it has always been too low to read. About a month ago I started adding nitrates in the form of potassium nitrate and calcium nitrate. I am trying to maintain nitrate levels at about 2ppm. Then about 2 weeks ago I started dosing a small amount of vinegar. Eventually the rock will stop leaching, I hope, and I will quit dosing. Many times I have thought about ripping that rock out of there and replacing it, but It would be a major chore and most of the acros are well encrusted so those rocks would have to stay.

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I find BB much easier to maintain low nutrient that sps prefer. Every tank I have had since about 97 or so has been bare bottom.
I assume you are talking about carbon dosing. In the past tanks I have never dosed. This one is different, the main difference is some dried rock I used that made up about 80 percent of the rock that and it is leaching phosphates. I have been changing out gfo weekly for almost 2 years. So to try and cut back on the amount I use I started dosing. I started with pellets about a year ago but didn't really notice any difference. The problem is probably low nitrates as it has always been too low to read. About a month ago I started adding nitrates in the form of potassium nitrate and calcium nitrate. I am trying to maintain nitrate levels at about 2ppm. Then about 2 weeks ago I started dosing a small amount of vinegar. Eventually the rock will stop leaching, I hope, and I will quit dosing. Many times I have thought about ripping that rock out of there and replacing it, but It would be a major chore and most of the acros are well encrusted so those rocks would have to stay.

Thanks. That sucks about the rocks leaching i'm sure thats a big PITA. I think I'm really going to go BB. i thing the flow will be great. my only concern is i love zoas and dont know how great they will do in a BB tank. but i need to buy some starboard to protect the bottom glass. thanks again. and tanks looks great

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back