drilling a tank

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i made my overflow box i am planning on doing the bean system with the three overflows. My overflow box is 9x4x5 i am going to put it about an inch from the top I was wondering how far down should i drill the tank?

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too close to the edge of the glass because of breaking but not too far away because you don't want to crowd the overflow box. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful... let me do some more research!

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to have any PVC angles inside the overflow or is water going to go straight through the hole into PVC fittings?

OP
OP
A

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well yeah from looking at the bean you put right angles where ones an emergency full siphone and half..

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess in the middle then, as long as you have room for the pvc angles etc. I am not familiar with that overflow set up :p I just had a guy at the LFS create a full overflow that goes through the bottom of the tank :p I trust myself less then the LFS when drilling tanks! G/l with it, keep the bit wet and reinforce the glass if you can! Jig helps keep it drilling straight!

OP
OP
A

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am going to cut out the same size holes on wood for a guide and then clamp it down and go to town on that puppy ha ha ha

pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled my tank a couple of weeks ago. The key is not to rush it and to keep water flowing. I put the tank (125) on some styrofoam blocks over cardboard in the driveway with the side down that I wanted to drill. I put a water hose in the tank and kept it flowing. Every minute or so I would lift the bit completely and wash away any residue. I had never done it before and just read several suggestions then took what made the most sense to me and ran with it. I feel 100% confident that I could drill 50 holes now and not break the glass. The tank is up and running now with the overflows working like a charm. Just remember (like with the reef itself) only bad things happen fast and use lots of flow. Good luck.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling 3 holes in a tank would make me nervous... not the drilling part, I'd be worried about the tank cracking over the long term. Would it work or be helpful to silicone an extra piece of glass with holes drilled in the same locations to help reinforce it? Or is that a stupid idea?

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling 3 holes in a tank would make me nervous... not the drilling part, I'd be worried about the tank cracking over the long term. Would it work or be helpful to silicone an extra piece of glass with holes drilled in the same locations to help reinforce it? Or is that a stupid idea?

You'd think that they would have some diagrams or calculations somewhere with that kind of information :) G/l and remember it's a learning experience!

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd think that they would have some diagrams or calculations somewhere with that kind of information :) G/l and remember it's a learning experience!
I know I'd be very interested to find out as well since I plan on drilling my future 40br.

OP
OP
A

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
done

o5b7ud.jpg

about the cracking issue i believe the bulkheads give the added support i know alot of people are going with this system my holes were straight till i flipped the guide and didn't notice it **** it... oh well ill make it work but yeah it was a breeze used lost of water you can hear when the bits getting dry and i didn't apply any pressure i just let the drills weight get it done.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back