Hi I am new to Reef2Reef...

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am new to Reef2Reef but not new to the hobby…
Just a little history here……
I never realized I would be getting into the Saltwater Hobby… I somehow ended up following my Father’s footsteps never even knew that he had saltwater tanks till my mother told me about them.
I first started out with freshwater tanks back a billion years ago. Catching those lovely guppies that are in the ditches when I was little. My parent setup a small tank for me in my room till one day it got knock over.
Then many, many years later I started back up on fresh water tanks started out with the Oscars, to an Albino Channel Catfish, than went to Cichlids. Plus some Koi’s & goldfish with those long tails out in my pond till for whatever reason the Koi’s jumped out of it and the goldfish started dyeing off I pulled one out and he is still with us today but inside instead of being in the pond… Then I went to Saltwater after the clerk at the LFS said how easy it is.
My first saltwater tank back in 2009 was a 20gallon tank ended up in a disaster as all newbies experience not knowing what they are doing and that was me… Well, let me tell you it is not as easy as the store clerk lead me to believe. He failed to tell me you have to check your water parameters.
After that I waited for a few months before starting back up in 2010 the 20gallon tank got a Yellow tang very small then he started having fin erosion or maybe fin rot I treated him with Melafix & Pemafix. Than I got a cleaner wrasse and he pruned my yellow tangs top fin down and they all grew back beautifully. So I moved them to my 42hex tank and got a very small Desjardin Sail fin not much bigger than a .50cent piece and once I donated my catfish that had been in the 55gallon tank and could no longer turn around in it. I changed it into a saltwater tank. I ended up having to take out the sail fin because he out grew they yellow tang put him in another tank till I finally have now upgraded to a 125 gallon tank but looks like there will be another upgrade needed. I did not realize how big my sail fin had gotten till I put all into the 125 and he and my Naso will both outgrow this tank probably in no time. My poor yellow tang is a very slow grower compared to these two other guys…

I have lost a few fish along the way from two of them jumping out of the tanks and not sure about a couple of others but all new fish that I will be getting will defiantly be QT. I have read some other post and I do not want that to happen to me.
I had about 6 tanks going trying to condense down has just been too much work for me.
At one time I had 4 saltwater tanks all varying in sizes
2 freshwater tanks.
Now I am down to 2 1/2 saltwater tanks and 2 fresh water tanks

Mary - Ms. Mermaid

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ms Mermaid, wow 6 tanks is a lot of work! Must be fun tho!

welcome and see you on the boards!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the site!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
19-1.gif

Welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mary!! Welcome to R2R!! Hope you enjoy your stay with us!!

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!!!
It sounds like you probably have you sleeves up right now!!! :) I can't wait to see some picture
Thank you
StevieReefs

OP
OP
Ms. Mermaid

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of pics one of the 55gallon before I transferred over to the 125gallon:
The 125 is still a work in progress... Have to put the doors back on the stand and fix the canopy for new lighting. .. Having to use my old light fixture that was on the 55 gallon for now.

Attachments

• 55 gallon tank full view - 2011.jpg
    55 gallon tank full view - 2011.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 10-28-12 003.jpg
    10-28-12 003.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 10-28-12 005.jpg
    10-28-12 005.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 124

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mary, welcome to R2R!!! You have a beautiful tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back