Compatibility in the real world

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved from Hawaii two years ago, and my tank is now really getting back in shape. I had two wild caught Yellow tangs in a 350 liter tank. They got along fine for a few months, then the larger fish destroyed the smaller Tang. I had just added a smaller Powder Blue Tang, which the surviving Yellow never bothered.
I'm now trying to get my tank re-populated, which has been pretty successful.
I have a beautiful 3-4" Sail Fin Tang. Yellow Tangs were illegal to buy or sell two years ago, now I see Biota selling cultured Yellow Tangs (partnered with UH Marine Biology). That's super great. But can I place one of their Yellow Tang puppies in an isolation box for a few weeks and then let it out and just monitor ? If that works, how about adding another of Biota's Blue Tangs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I moved from Hawaii two years ago, and my tank is now really getting back in shape. I had two wild caught Yellow tangs in a 350 liter tank. They got along fine for a few months, then the larger fish destroyed the smaller Tang. I had just added a smaller Powder Blue Tang, which the surviving Yellow never bothered.
I have a beautiful 3-4" Sail Fin Tang. Yellow Tangs were illegal to buy or sell two years ago, now I see Biota selling cultured Yellow Tangs (partnered with UH Marine Biology). That's super great. But can I place one of their Yellow Tang puppies in an isolation box for a few weeks and then let it out and just monitor ? If that works, how about adding another of Biota's Blue Tangs.
Yes you can however watch the fish with what will be a smaller one. The powder blue however has a potential to reach an easy 8"

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that your existing yellow is likely to destroy any other zebrasoma tang that you try to add. I might try a bristletooth or another tang with a different body type instead.

OP
OP
R

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 Liters, 92.4 gallons. I had no issue with that combination of fish before, but they were young. I set the Yellow free in Kona, and took the Blue to Petco, they said they had never had one that large and sold it in 30 minutes. Petco has a compromise deal. They can not sell Yellow tangs, because they are accused of catching the fish. Don't even get me started on corals.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 Liters, 92.4 gallons. I had no issue with that combination of fish before, but they were young. I set the Yellow free in Kona, and took the Blue to Petco, they said they had never had one that large and sold it in 30 minutes. Petco has a compromise deal. They can not sell Yellow tangs, because they are accused of catching the fish. Don't even get me started on corals.
lol, i would hate to live in Hiwaii for this reason.

OP
OP
R

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that your existing yellow is likely to destroy any other zebrasoma tang that you try to add. I might try a bristletooth or another tang with a different body type instead.
The Yellow is quarter size, I don't that it will ever get near the size of the Sail Fin, which is a get along fish.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to add another yellow to the same tank with the aggressive one. I think a baby yellow would probably do well in your 90 gallon tank. Good luck!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add that I recently ordered a small Rainsford's goby from Biota, and I am very happy with the fish I received, but it was a very small little fish when it arrived. I did a lot of research before ordering and I saw several people that were a little unhappy that the fish they received from Biota was so small. I can't say for sure, and you may want to contact them and ask, but I would imagine any of the Tangs you order from Biota would be very, very small compared to your current fish. Just something to think about.

OP
OP
R

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should have read with me.
I'll add that I recently ordered a small Rainsford's goby from Biota, and I am very happy with the fish I received, but it was a very small little fish when it arrived. I did a lot of research before ordering and I saw several people that were a little unhappy that the fish they received from Biota was so small. I can't say for sure, and you may want to contact them and ask, but I would imagine any of the Tangs you order from Biota would be very, very small compared to your current fis h. Just something to think about.
1.25" in the literature for the yellows, probably the same for the blues. The picture with all the fingerlings looking for food is pretty amazing. In my opinion, snorkeling in certain areas on the west side is worth the trip. I gave an arawana that out grew my tank to Steinhart Aquarium in SF and got "all access" passes. Standing over the HUGE tidal pool tanks was simply amazing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back