Question for the tang police

  • Thread starter Thread starter bshake
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bshake

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2022
Messages
359
Reaction score
104
Location
New York City
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about what order to release the fish into the tank. I think I know the answer but I was wondering maybe someone more experienced than me can answer. I have a purple tang (3 inches) and a koi scopes (6 inch) in acclimation boxes in the tank after their QT finished. The purple tang was in the sump until the scopes finished QT. i currently have a few smaller tangs in the tank a white tail bristle tooth (4 inches), hippo (3 inches), Biota yellow (2 inches).

I put the biota yellow in there about 3 weeks ago or so into the DT after his QT to establish him self since he’s pretty tiny and placed the purple tang in the sump since he’s a bit larger than the yellow and finished QT first. The koi scopes finished QT 2 weeks ago but had some HELLE from copper so I let him chill for 2 more weeks in a clean tank. Now all 3 are in the tank zebrasoma how do you zebra tangs are in the tank. What order should I release the purple and koi scopes tangs? I know the purple is probably the most aggressive but the koi is the biggest fish in the tank at the moment so I’m sure he can hold his own.
 
I would releasse them both at the same time. And be prepared to rehome someone if things don't work out. Success is highly dependent on the individual personalities of the fish and a well establshed small fish can take out a much larger timid fish. Releasing them both at teh same time will reduce aggression since it's pretty difficult for an aggressive fish to pick on two at the same time. ANd FWIW, you didn't mention what size your tank is, hopefully it's at east a couple hundred gallons, as the tangs grow and mature there is the potential for aggressive behavior to show up so you'll always need to be ready to rehome someone.
 
I would releasse them both at the same time. And be prepared to rehome someone if things don't work out. Success is highly dependent on the individual personalities of the fish and a well establshed small fish can take out a much larger timid fish. Releasing them both at teh same time will reduce aggression since it's pretty difficult for an aggressive fish to pick on two at the same time. ANd FWIW, you didn't mention what size your tank is, hopefully it's at east a couple hundred gallons, as the tangs grow and mature there is the potential for aggressive behavior to show up so you'll always need to be ready to rehome someone.
The biota yellow has shown zero interest in both the purple and scopes in their acclimation boxes. I assume the scopes is less aggressive than the purple but is also almost 3 times the size as both. I don’t think the biota yellow would be a problem it’s the other 2 I’m concerned with. The tank they’re in is a 180 so not a couple of hundred gallons but large enough to house them in. Down the line when they outgrow the tank they’ll get rehomed if needed.
 
I will just warn of this: rehoming fish is not particularly easy if you have adequate aquascape to support them. It often requires removing 2/3rds of the aquascape to catch them.

I know from experience... Thus, I am not a fan of planned rehoming.
 
Car Chase Police GIF
 
I have a question about what order to release the fish into the tank. I think I know the answer but I was wondering maybe someone more experienced than me can answer. I have a purple tang (3 inches) and a koi scopes (6 inch) in acclimation boxes in the tank after their QT finished. The purple tang was in the sump until the scopes finished QT. i currently have a few smaller tangs in the tank a white tail bristle tooth (4 inches), hippo (3 inches), Biota yellow (2 inches).

I put the biota yellow in there about 3 weeks ago or so into the DT after his QT to establish him self since he’s pretty tiny and placed the purple tang in the sump since he’s a bit larger than the yellow and finished QT first. The koi scopes finished QT 2 weeks ago but had some HELLE from copper so I let him chill for 2 more weeks in a clean tank. Now all 3 are in the tank zebrasoma how do you zebra tangs are in the tank. What order should I release the purple and koi scopes tangs? I know the purple is probably the most aggressive but the koi is the biggest fish in the tank at the moment so I’m sure he can hold his own.

Just a side note; HLLE being caused by copper has been ruled out by the studies I've done. It is coincidental because new fish are often treated with copper.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/head-and-lateral-line-erosion-hlle.784/
 
Put them in together toward then. I don’t have the option of rearranging rock so here is my goto to when adding new tangs to my setup.

1) let new tangs spend the whole day in acclimation box surrounded by other tang

2) feed heavier then usual that day.

3) release new fish after light go off and room is dark or very low dim. I prefer dim to give new fish ability to see. Only release once all or most tangs are back in there home.

4) put a mirror up to surprise fish in the am

5) feed nori clips heavily the next day specifically moving the clips to the area where your new tangs are hanging. This is key to promoting community and getting the other tang to lower their defenses around the new adds.
 
I’d probably install mirrors prior to adding the new fish. My biota showed no cares in the work to my white tail in acclimation box for 5 days. Once released it was WW3! Didn’t think the white tail would survive the night!

Next morning installed mirrors all over the tank. The YT decided to just attack itself for 3 days straight while my white tail found his sleeping/hiding spot. After 3 days I removed mirrors. If white tail got close yellow would jolt at him.

3 weeks later now I rarely see any aggression. The white tail will kind of avoid him but at times they’re picking at the glass or rocks together.

Another option is I had a buddy 3d print some floating YT’s (free files online) suppose to work in same tactic as mirrors. But they had already settled down before he brought them over.

Anyways good luck! Tang aggression is no joke! Hopefully you’ll have a happy family right off the bat but be prepared if not!
 
Put them in together toward then. I don’t have the option of rearranging rock so here is my goto to when adding new tangs to my setup.

1) let new tangs spend the whole day in acclimation box surrounded by other tang

2) feed heavier then usual that day.

3) release new fish after light go off and room is dark or very low dim. I prefer dim to give new fish ability to see. Only release once all or most tangs are back in there home.

4) put a mirror up to surprise fish in the am

5) feed nori clips heavily the next day specifically moving the clips to the area where your new tangs are hanging. This is key to promoting community and getting the other tang to lower their defenses around the new adds.
Thank you for the Advice.
 
I’d probably install mirrors prior to adding the new fish. My biota showed no cares in the work to my white tail in acclimation box for 5 days. Once released it was WW3! Didn’t think the white tail would survive the night!

Next morning installed mirrors all over the tank. The YT decided to just attack itself for 3 days straight while my white tail found his sleeping/hiding spot. After 3 days I removed mirrors. If white tail got close yellow would jolt at him.

3 weeks later now I rarely see any aggression. The white tail will kind of avoid him but at times they’re picking at the glass or rocks together.

Another option is I had a buddy 3d print some floating YT’s (free files online) suppose to work in same tactic as mirrors. But they had already settled down before he brought them over.

Anyways good luck! Tang aggression is no joke! Hopefully you’ll have a happy family right off the bat but be prepared if not!
I’ll release them tonight when the lights go out and see how they do in the morning.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new