Totion's 10g frag tank build

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been slowly piecing together a frag tank build.

So far I have a return pump, ten gallon tank, and a par38 and gooseneck (in the mail)

I want to get the frag rack out of my display, and also will be plumbing this frag tank into my system to get a total of about 50 gallons.

The frag tank will be plumbed to my 15 gallon long sump that has a filter sock and a reef octopus nwb 110.

I got a par38 from reef radiance that has 3 blue, 4 white, 2 violet, and 1 each green red orange. The gooseneck is coming from reef breeders.

The stand is being built to match my display stand, which I also built. It will only be 24 inches tall to make it easier to get into the tank while sitting in front of it.

I'm going to get an eshopps nano overflow box to match up with my mag 3. I will put a ball valve on the return line and use a utube outflow from Dr's foster smith with a siphon break drilled into it.

For flow I'm going with a hydro evo 600 once my wp25 comes in for my dt. I'm thinking about putting two in it on a wave maker.

I will build my racks out of egg crate until I can order some black acrylic ones from the blue glow.

I know a ten gallon is small but this is mainly for grow out and frags to trade. Also may try some sps in it until I can upgrade to less on my dt.

Here is what I did today

20130707_202112.jpg

And after ten minutes with a razor...

20130707_204338.jpg

More pics will come as I get more done to the tank. Stand should be built, sanded, stained, and sealed by Friday.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to it.

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to pick up some spray paint today. I was thinking about going with a nice deep blue, but since the stands will match I'm thinking I should go with flat black so the tanks will match.

Any input? I think I like the idea of a little brother matching tank to my display lol

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the dark blue in my tank but I wish now I had used black....

a 10g tank don't give you a lot of frag rack space but just to grow out a few frags, it should work out fine, if you run out of space, just add in another 10g, they don't cost that much new and usually you can find 'em used for a very little...

I'm anxious to see how the PAR38 lights it up, I think it's gonna be bright in there :)

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was looking at the blue glow frag racks and i can fit a few in there, and they can hold 20+ plus plugs. big enough for me lol. its mainly so that i can frag a few zoas or acans onto a plug and then let them grow to trade for other stuff. just finished the first coat of black paint, going to do one mroe then after it dries ill post a pic up. i cant wait to get my light, the gooseneck was shipped usps priority mail today so it should be here by wednesday or thursday.

i bet it will be bright, so glad the par38 comes with a remote control for dimming!

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Frame for the stand is done. I'm going to just build it closed. I know storage space would be nice but it's such a small stand anyways. Now to skin it.

20130709_193501.jpg

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished skinning it, punched the finishing nails in, and applied wood filler. I put wood filler around the top edges to seal it and keep water from getting inside. Gotta add a little more filler (had a big gap, amateur carpenter lol), sand it with some 300 grit, and stain it tomorrow. Then I'll seal it after that.

For now it's time to go to work.

20130709_221424.jpg

20130709_221438.jpg

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's a good thing my par38 clip came in today. It's tall enough that I added a lip to the stand to mount it on. Very happy with it. The clip came from reef breeders and it is a beast.

Just finished sanding and wiping the dust off with a damp paper towel. Time for stain!

20130710_150851.jpg

20130710_151232.jpg

20130710_151256.jpg

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it has been stained! In an hour or so I'm going to start sealing it with rustoleum outdoor spar varnish. Then I have to move my bookshelf and make sure this little guy is level.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a glass holes super nano overflow kit today. Already have my return pump just need a ball valve and an outflow and this thing will be wet!

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks rev. Third stand I have built. The second is the one for the display. The first is embarrassing. It now holds tools in the basement lol

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so while looking into return options i saw the kit on glass holes for the locline return, and am kicking myself for not ordering this also. on payday i think i'm going to order the return kit. still waiting on the par38 led, should be a week or two for that to get here. i need to get another timer, then i will run my actinics and led on one timer, and my 12k white on another (actinics and 12k are on the display tank...)

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contacted glass holes and added the loc line return kit to my order. Shipped today! The light might be about two weeks.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back