Totion's 10g frag tank build

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed a 10 gal into my system for frags too. It's a good size for starting off with grow out and trade frags. I put my ato bucket under mine as well as the dj power strip for all my equipment.
yby9ygeq.jpg
5yry8u7y.jpg

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to just keep the 29 gallon for four years (as freshwater) and when I moved to years ago I setup a ten gallon. I was definitely tired of fighting algae and trimming pendants in the 29, and the shrimp kept dying in the 10, so I broke down the tanks and switched to a reef. The 10 has been begging to be setup and I want to get the frag rack out of my display tank. My next tank will be a 120. Always wanted a 75 and heard you should go bigger than planned, so 120 it is.

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uses said my return and overflow would be here today, but it's not even in town yet :-\

I have all the plumbing I need just waiting on the kits from glass holes and I'll have water in this little guy.

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how expensive was the acrylic? i would love to have acrylic racks instead of egg crate, and was even thinking about using acrylic rods for legs

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking into black acrylic sheets. i found 1/4" thick for about 20 dollars. i would like to find some 1/2 inch. i was going to order some from theblueglow but am finding i can cut and drill my own for under half the cost, and can cut them to the sizes i want. about how thick is the acrylic in that picture?

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be fine with 1/4 acrylic. That looks like 1/2 and is over kill for just a Frag rack.

I have a few racks for sale, and I can also make them to any size/style you want if you're interested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only acrylic I have laying around is 1/8 inch lol, way too flimsy for me.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mis understand, I'm not digging into you for using it. I'm just saying that it can be done with thinner acrylic to save some cash. Thats all, no disrespect meant.

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont mind, but i think i am going to diy my own. i really like making things.

i cracked two tanks drilling them for the overflow box. the return hole was fine, but the bigger overflow box i think i put too much pressure on. its a shame bcause the second one had black silicone on it and i really liked the look of it. i'm going to get a third tank tomorrow, and barely touch the drill to the glass. thank goodness 10 gals are about $15 each around here...

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont mind, but i think i am going to diy my own. i really like making things.

i cracked two tanks drilling them for the overflow box. the return hole was fine, but the bigger overflow box i think i put too much pressure on. its a shame bcause the second one had black silicone on it and i really liked the look of it. i'm going to get a third tank tomorrow, and barely touch the drill to the glass. thank goodness 10 gals are about $15 each around here...

When I drilled mine I also cracked a couple, after a lot of practice on the cracked ones the way I finally got it done was to drill about halfway through on one side then drill the rest of the way on the other.

OP
OP
totion

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with my cordless i can;t drill from both sides, but i just did a test hole on an uncracked side of one of the tanks and was successful. not putting [ressure is weird to me, but it is how i need to do it. used to throwing my weight into drilling things lol.

frag tank will get wet tomorrow!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back