Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently joined R2R, and figured along with my local club, I would start a build here as well. I currently have a 57 Rimless Deep Blue, and a recently started to cycle a 150 gallon. I have aquascaped, plumbed, and filled it with water. My cycle has started, and I plan on trying to follow Tony Vargas method of cycling (90 days before adding anything.) You would think that it was easy, seeing as I already have a tank setup, however, every (impatient) ounce of me wants to load it with fish and corals immediately.

My 57 is a mixed reef of SPS and LPS. I also have 3 anemones. 1 GLTA, and 2RBTA's. I have frequently considered keeping an aquarium just for nems, they facinate me. I have manually cloned 6 of my RBTA's, and they have both split naturally once. I'm still learning to take photos under the LEDS, but it won't stop me, and I like to frequently update as things happen, it's a way for me to share my trials and tribulations, as well as my sucesses. What I really enjoy though, is looking back, and seeing how far I've come, and how much has changed.

My equipment is fairly simple. I run an Evergrow IT2080 with the standard layout. It's just enough spread for my 36" long tank, and I have seen great growth with all my corals, hard and soft. I have an MP40 for flow, an eshopps 20 gallon sump, with an Avast CS1 Recirc skimmer. I am running a regular Avast CS1 on my 150, with a 45 gallon ADHI sump. The sump is plumbed to the side as my stand is very low, and the lady says the stand had to stay. I said yes ma'am. I have another MP40 , and another IT2080. I have an Apex Jr, with an 8 bar attachment, as well as an Avast Skimmate locker that still both need to be hooked up.

My fish are: 4 Blue Chromis, 2 mated regular clown perculas, and 1 hippo tang. In my 150 I plan on:

Chevron Tang (Tenochaetus Hawaiiensis)
Achillies Tang (Acanthurus Achillies)
Blond Naso Tang (Naso Elegans)
Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoerus Melanurus)
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Parecheilinus Carpenteri)
Scotts Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Scottorum)

Red Striped Anthias (Pseudanthias fasciatus)

Yellow Prawn Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)

I already have the Melanarus, Chevron, and the Achilles in QT, and the next on the list will probably be the Naso.

Here are some pictures from my 57:

Here is my 150, I will post up more later, my laptop is about to die:

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking very nice.
hopefully you will have more photo to show when the tank is matured

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the thumbs up smiley guy?! haha.

looking very nice.
hopefully you will have more photo to show when the tank is matured

Thank you very much. Mid October will see it starting to stock, and I can PROMISE you that you will not be disappointed. I have this tank planned out to be a masterpiece. My 57 was just a learning curve :)

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a great start looking good.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments everyone. Stay tuned for my next big move. Even though this tank is young, I plan on making it spectacular.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your Avast skimmer? Is that recirculating?

I love it. I challenge you to find something cheaper for the price, that is the same quality as this. It's a workhorse. I also have the luxury of having the Capn's local, so if I needed help, they are less than an hour away. I will post up some pictures of my skimmate when I get a chance.

The tank is on auto right now. My Chevron reared it's head with some ich, or velvet, not sure which, not taking a chance. Pulled one chevron, one melanarus wrasse, one hippo tang, one blue eyed kole, two clowns, and 4 blue chromis. Passed the Chromis off to a local club member, and started QT'ing with copper. Day 2 out of 57. YIKES. Picking up a powder blue, blonde naso, and yellow tang this weekend, and will throw them in another 55 gallon QT. After 8 weeks, I will be done adding any fish into my system, and will be very picky about what gets added from here on out.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y5usanyz.jpg

taqazu9a.jpg

1 week

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a new rock formation to the center. I was able to land my hands on some tonga rock. While my fish QT my pod population has exploded, and without my Melanarus in tank so has my bristle worm population. Corals growing, colors popping.

Temporary QT

New Porcelain Crab:

New rock formation:

My start of a zoa garden:

New additions:
bonzia acro
mango (something or the other zoas)
vivid rainbows
highlighter stag
Strawberry Wines

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice and digging the aquascape!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share some pictures of my SPS since I've noticed I've been mostly LPS heavy, I'm seeing really nice growth on some pieces since the switch, and possibly, the removal of fish? Some of the pieces have a dead tip, I think I burnt small pieces when I moved them over, not sure why it's just a piece of the tip on some, and not all the tips?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sps looks really nice. What supplements do you use on your tank?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back