YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few updates:

Since dosing, I'm now at 144 (8.2dkh) alkalinity and 430 calc, dosing 23ml of each every day. I've not tested much, but I've been watching to see, and I figured it was low enough of a dosage that there wasn't much to worry about. I've noticed my birdsnest frags have taken off, and there looks to be great growth with everything else since then, not that there was an issue before hand. I'm waiting to see if anything pops up (and by anything I mean pink and golds) in my zoa garden, before I start to add things back again and around the tank.

I picked up this wicked clam through Exotic Reef Creations after Richard went and hand picked, really excited about having another clam back in the tank, he had some beauties out there, worth a look!

In recent news, I added the purple tang that I unexpectedly won in an auction. It came with some pretty nice HLLE scars, but I'm content knowing that it will heal up in my tank. Stupid me though, didn't do my due diligence and research, and I already have a yellow tang. They've had it out pretty serious, but it's slowly dying down. I'm confident the purple will come out the boss of the tank, although they are both about the same size. I researched a lot after the fact, and some people have made it work, some have not. The fact that one has not killed the other yet means they will probably work it out:

I also added 3 of the stocky anthias. They are a really nice addition to my tank. They are just big enough that they fit in nicely, and colorful and active enough that they add a lot of really nice movement to the tank. They are a trio, one male, and two females, vicious eaters!

Waiting to put the zoas back down, some of them...

just some quick shots:

I'm also debating getting rid of my monti rock, with the red scrolling, the torch, incredibly large LTA, and the montis on the top. I think it would really open up for a structure that could hold more corals. I'm back and forth on it, as underneath provides a great cave for the fish, and the top adds so much motion with the LPS that I'm holding onto, thoughts?

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a night that I was able to setup my T5's on the edge of my hood. After wiring and getting everything just right, clearing up underneath my stand, doing bare minimal cable management (underneath my stand is a freaking nightmare! this is what happens when you just add most of your gear as you go along) it looks fantastic!

The bulbs that I chose to go with are the ATI CoralPlus 5'. It is not at all overpowering like I expected to be! It most definitely confirms my belief that T5/LED is the BEST combo on the market by far. My only regret is that I did not plan for adding 4 bulbs vs the 2. I am positive that this change will bring about amazing growth, and it adds the crisp look that I was looking for to the tank.

Before:

After:

I know it seems really subtle with the pictures, but I assure you, in person the change is night and day!

It also makes it considerably easier to snap pictures. These are all done with the radions at about 90% and the coral plus bulbs both on.

as always, untouched:

I've had a fairly big red cyano outbreak again since I've been "ignoring" the tank. I did a 10 gallon water change, just to vac out the stuff that was growing on the zoas, and impeding growth... or at least looked like it was. I've been cleaning the glass every 3 days or so, and it's nearly covered in algae by the time I do. There are always copious amounts of snail eggs from all different types littered across the glass. I can only hope they are laying just as quick and as much on the back glass!

It was a month ago today that I OD'd the tank on Calcium. Today it is back at 470 from the 500+ it was a month ago (my kit only goes to 500.) My alk has made a weird switch from 128 on 6/02/14 to 153 today. I have not added any calcium since the accident, and I have just been dosing 1mm of alk every hour on the hour for exactly a month. I will continue to test my alk over the next couple of days, and if I see it rising, I will start to add the calcium back online, but I'm definitely seeing rapid (and I mean RAPID) growth with the montis.)

Here is a video of most of my fish eating from my fingers, this includes my copperband and purple tang!

[video=youtube_share;tUkaApfVenM]http://youtu.be/tUkaApfVenM[/video]

Thanks for checking it out again!

Elrato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank!! i cant wait until i have some time to scroll through this whole thread & check them all out

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wowee! Looks awesome!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some new additions that I finally have acclimated into my display tank:

Pyramid butterflyfish trio - YouTube

They are really nice, and have had a huge impact on the color and movement in my reef. Pyramid Butterfly FTW.

Also got rid of my monti rock, replaced it with a zoa mountian!

Purple hornets, about the size of a nickle

I liked the yellow on the blue

So we are moving next month, and I'll be taking the tank down and setting back up again. I'm getting a steel stand built for it as I type, so it should be ready by the time the move happens. It will be 40" high, and nice to put my sump back underneath my stand instead of plumbed off the side! I doubt I'll be able to get the rock the same, so I'm enjoying as much as I can for now! I also will be turning it into a peninsula, so I'll take off the paint in the back and both overflows, put in something sleeker.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank and setup! kudos!

I have always been a fan of Pyramid butterflies. Beautiful fish. Reef safe, inexpensive and yet not imported a whole lot. wish I could have one now in my 66.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man! Love the new butterflys

Thanks! They really pulled things together!

Awesome tank and setup! kudos!

I have always been a fan of Pyramid butterflies. Beautiful fish. Reef safe, inexpensive and yet not imported a whole lot. wish I could have one now in my 66.

Thanks, it's been a wild ride! I love them, I asked a local vendor about half a month ago if they could get them in for me, and they said the same thing, they are apparently seasonal. Super hearty eaters, and so far I've only seen one have a go at my gorgs, which is alright with me.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, bought a condo, so moving next month. I did what any person with a serious addiction would do, and bought a euro braced 180. It's i ly 30 gallons larger than the 150, but the 24" of depth vs 18" will be nice. I can use this opportunity to make all those changes I wanted to, but couldn't. First on the list, custom steel stand being built by a local club member.

Wife gave the blessing on a real two tanks one room situation, so after lots if club help, elbow grease, and time, here she is:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410230497.695639.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410230512.911788.jpg

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in preparation for the move there is a lot going on. I've removed all my corals from the rocks, added a piece of tonga that is 3'x2' and branching, shoved in some additional rock to help speed up the cycle, and I'm moving to t5's. I'll have my sunpower 8x80 fixture here tonight, plus a 5' reefbright to pull things together. I'm hoping to break in the bulbs for the next two weeks before I get the 180 setup, and I'm curious how to do the move without losing anything, so fingers crossed...

Took the opportunity to snap some photos while everything was off the rock and on plugs or the sandbed, here are some shots of what I'm keeping:

I moved their nem, so they are in a tizz, I wonder if they've found it yet:

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank doing man? Hope all is well. Look forward to an update.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back