Two tanks, One room

AQUAMAN21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment. My first coral was that leather in the corner, the toadstool. I am letting it get big without fragging it. I actually only started with LPS, and found that I did well with SPS as well. My reef is probably the closest to a mixed reef than anything, there is so much of everything. The only things I won't let into my tank are mushrooms, xenia, and pink and gold palys.

I have started collecting zoas, and if you peek at some of the past photos, you will see I have some acans as well. I also have Frogspawn, cynarina, scolly's, welsophelia's, Fungia, and anemones. There are also certain types of favia growing around the bottom. Even though it's fairly common, I like the movement and color that GSP give to tanks. I've tried to keep it as isolated as possible.[/QUOTE]

I double taked on all the picture's and yeah your tank is pretty mixed up. I was planning on buying a lot of frags in a couple weeks but just had my 72" coralife light fixture go half out. Great timing i guess cause i still trying to set up a new 125 gal tank to replace this 150 gal.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All white, no blues:

miyagi dialed in just right

Stubbers:

Utter Chaos, Mandarin Orange

Random goodies on the frag rack:

This superman millie is disgustingly nice, I can't get over it:

Evans Blue and Purple Acro:

Hulk:

Nightcrawlers:

Unknown:

Baby torch from the spawning of my 3 headed torch:

Strawberry shortcake:

fire and ice echinata?

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding time video:

[video=youtube;dj6VMmcvLp4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj6VMmcvLp4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am beginning my 20 gallon side tank for my mantis to move into, as well as a grow out tank.

So being in an apartment, my space is lacking. The kitchen and two upside down buckets turned into my workstation. All things considered, I think it came out fine. My next step is a piece of light plywood to strap to the front with magnets, and a nice finished piece to attach to the top.

And yes, I am using the baseboard as load bearing, I sat on it with success. I have also attatched 2 more braces to keep it from buckling, one in the front, one in the back. I also have taken a panel of nice pine, and will be using it to mount the controllers on inside the stand/cover. Pictures to come.

This was designed around the confines of my sump and tank. Originally my wife wanted me to keep the stand my tank came with, as well as the hood. I compromised by making the hood floating (easy access for in and our tank work) and plumbing the sump to the side so i could fit my skimmer. The sump was originally plumbed for a dart pump, which I am not using, so that bulkhead and ball valve butts right into my stand on the right. The tank was placed against the sump, and the sump was put as close to the wall as possible. It wasn't until we were expecting guests that my wife insisted I build a cover, so I made the most of the situation, and planned on putting a 20 on top for Rupert.

Painted the exterior showing parts of the plumbing:

and while I was fiddling around old crazy eyes (my exquisite wrasse) made an appearance. It looks like the pop eye is going down... but still visible. This fish is belongs in the looney bin, I wish he came out and around more, instead of creepy lurking in the corners:

Then the camera was out and everybody thought it was feeding time:

and then I just snabbed some whatever shots

Oh right, the camera came out because I saw my RBTA stretched at a whopping 9"

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and awesome colours on the sps corals. Very impressed. :)

Do you know what the PO4 and NO3 levels are in your tank?

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and awesome colours on the sps corals. Very impressed. :)

Do you know what the PO4 and NO3 levels are in your tank?

Thanks for comment, Sahin! I know that last time I tested (about 3 weeks ago) it was for po4, which on my ULR was off the charts. I am working to get it under control, but I don't think it is as bad as I think it is. Everything is healthy, and growing, so you can't beat that! My nitrates... I have not tested in the past 3 months, it would be interesting to see.

I only check my calcium and alk levels fairly regularly. You're probably thinking that I'm crazy, but I'm pretty good with water changes, and my skimmer is rated for 500 gallons on about 180, so I would say that I am very hands on with keeping it successful, if something is not doing well, growing right, or looking funny, I know. I have recently added some Emerald Crabs, who I'm happy to say are munching on my bubble algae!

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for comment, Sahin! I know that last time I tested (about 3 weeks ago) it was for po4, which on my ULR was off the charts. I am working to get it under control, but I don't think it is as bad as I think it is. Everything is healthy, and growing, so you can't beat that! My nitrates... I have not tested in the past 3 months, it would be interesting to see.

I only check my calcium and alk levels fairly regularly. You're probably thinking that I'm crazy, but I'm pretty good with water changes, and my skimmer is rated for 500 gallons on about 180, so I would say that I am very hands on with keeping it successful, if something is not doing well, growing right, or looking funny, I know. I have recently added some Emerald Crabs, who I'm happy to say are munching on my bubble algae!

Hey dont change a thing! Your tank is looking VERY nice and coral colours are EXCELLENT. Have you read some of the threads about Phosphate recently? -There are many people with high PO4 and still have good colours. If the algae starts to get too out of control then boost up the CUC and maybe use a little GFO.

I asked you about your PO4 level because I suspected it might be higher than usual due to the strong colouration on your SPS.

Yeah, please let me know about the NO3 when you can.

Keep up the good work you are doing with this tank. In a couple of years this could very well be a TOTM if you keep it going this way. :)

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bro, can you also tell me what you run your lights at roughly? Ie Blues % and Whites %? Thanks.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dont change a thing! Your tank is looking VERY nice and coral colours are EXCELLENT. Have you read some of the threads about Phosphate recently? -There are many people with high PO4 and still have good colours. If the algae starts to get too out of control then boost up the CUC and maybe use a little GFO.

I asked you about your PO4 level because I suspected it might be higher than usual due to the strong colouration on your SPS.

Yeah, please let me know about the NO3 when you can.

Keep up the good work you are doing with this tank. In a couple of years this could very well be a TOTM if you keep it going this way. :)

Thanks for the kind words again. I'm not terribly concerned about my high po4, I'm just getting some red slime patches sometimes that are unslightly. If I can feed less at no consequences, I will take that. I have already dropped my high phosphates considerably. I also have to remind myself I'm testing with a ULR... so there is some room for not being dropped to your knees humbled. Your questions sparked interst, so I've decided to test tonight, here's what I came up with:

My Alk is at 7 (128 via hanna checker) My alk has always been close to NSW, and I do not dose yet.
My ULR Phospherous reads: 135 (Which is like .392 po4)
Calcium: 460
Nitrates: Undetected

Hey bro, can you also tell me what you run your lights at roughly? Ie Blues % and Whites %? Thanks.
Sure thing, these are the evergrow IT2080's, aka (Photon 32's.) I went with a custom Reefbreeders layout. I run the blues at 60 and the whites at 80. One thing I do different than a lot of other reefers, is that for the past year, my lights have not been on a timer. I wake up usually around 6:30, run 10% blues from 8:00am till I leave for work at 8:30. As I'm out the door, I flip them on full 60/80, no ramping up or down. I run my lights probably about 10 hours a day, and usually run the blues on 10% as I wind down and get ready for bed. Hope that answers your questions!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the opportunity to mess around with a colored lens cover today, let me snab some shots in the blues, so it's nice to at least show people how things show when its radioactive in the tank:

and here is one using the filter under my regular daytime lighting:

Just a cool perspective, this wont stop branching:

Took the liberty to snab some regular shots while the camera was out and top down was ready:

I don't know what type of zoas these are, but they are some of my favs, they are like a peach/white color, and this is them under whites... as always, un-edited

The acans in the bottom left were a rescue frag. They are healing up nice in my tank, and are showing some nice green spotting on the bottom half, I hope they turn into something awesome.

I have recently built a stand and plumbed in a 20 gallon long mantis enclosure into my system. I'll post up pictures of that once I get it scaped and ready. Here is the Mantis in the meantime :)

Candy Apple Reds

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words again. I'm not terribly concerned about my high po4, I'm just getting some red slime patches sometimes that are unslightly. If I can feed less at no consequences, I will take that. I have already dropped my high phosphates considerably. I also have to remind myself I'm testing with a ULR... so there is some room for not being dropped to your knees humbled. Your questions sparked interst, so I've decided to test tonight, here's what I came up with:

My Alk is at 7 (128 via hanna checker) My alk has always been close to NSW, and I do not dose yet.
My ULR Phospherous reads: 135 (Which is like .392 po4)
Calcium: 460
Nitrates: Undetected

I expected your PO4 to be fairly high (when comparing to the usual 0.03ppm we are told to maintain for SPS tank). However, lately, I am not so convinced that PO4 at levels higher than 0.03ppm is responsible for brown SPS. Clearly, in your case the "high" PO4 is having quite the opposite effect in that your corals are VERY nicely coloured.

Love the top down shots. :bigsmile:

Keep up the good work. This tank is heading for TOTM contender if you keep things going this way. :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back