CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Build

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Tank and DIY CSQ Skimmer

I've decided to rebuild the "PuzzleRock" tank that sits on my office desk...

DSC_0929.jpg

DSC_1267.jpg

That tank was a lot of fun to build, and the method of creating and using slabbed live rock hadn't been done before. The downside was, the aquascaping was so dense, that when coupled with the small tank dimensions - I never felt it fair to add any fish. As a result, the first question from every visitor to my office was "where are the fish"?

And now for something completely different...

This tank will go in a new direction. This will be something of a minimalist mixed reef and will be home to a pair of "Talcassos" to satisfy the visitors. While this tank will sit on my office desk, I'm doing the build at home so I don't have to tear down the current tank.

Here's the equipment list,

• Tank - Mr. Aqua 12 Long (36" X 8" X 9") ~12 gallons in dimension, (7.5 gallons water) Fitted with an 8" overflow creating a 3"X3"x8" mini-sump area.
  • Lights - Catalina Solar Black 4 X 39W T5 (ATI Blue+, Blue+, AquaBlue, KZ Fiji Purple) + ReefBrite 36" LED 50%/50% Royal Blue / White
  • Return Pump - Eheim 600 Compact set at 160 GPH.
  • Controller - Apex Aquacontroller, lab grade pH, ORP, PM2 with salinity probe.
  • Skimmer - DIY 2X12 airstone driven skimmer with remote skimmate collection
  • Mechanical filtration - AquaClear 20 with custom InTANK media insert using Chemipure Elite and Purigen as needed.
  • Biological Filtration - Marine Pure Ceramic Biomedia Spheres (compensating for limited live rock) and Mangroves
  • ATO - Elos Osmocontroller feeding Kalk laden RO/DI
  • Dosing - BRS 2-Part via 2 BRS peristaltic dosing pumps controlled by the Apex
  • Water movement - 1X MP-10Wes running ReefCrest @ 50%
  • Live Rock - Limited/YTBD
  • Substrate - Tropic Eden Reef Flakes
  • Heater - Hydor 100 Watt
It was a challenge to get the tank itself. These MA 12 long tanks were sold out everywhere for awhile. I managed to get some help from Geoff at 7Ports (the US distributor for MA.) Geoff helped me track down 2 of these tanks - apparently just about the last 2 left Stateside.

On the fabrication end, I'm had to go through an acrylic learning curve. It took me longer than anticipated to complete the design and fabrication of the acrylic components. On a good note, the stocking plan for this tank is very simple and I already have much of the livestock on hand. It's strange, looking this concept and design on paper and in Sketchup ...it seems very simple. Come time to start fitting acrylic, it suddenly becomes complex. I suspect it has more to do with my skill level (or lack thereof) than the complexity of the design.

I was able to finalize the feature inhabitants....A beautiful pair of Tal's Picassos....err Talcassos

Talcassos.jpg

The larger two in the photo will be taking up residence on my desk.

Although I hadn't yet given much thought to a coral stocking plan, I stumbled on an opportunity I just couldn't pass up. A nice Monti collection including,

Tyree Superman monti
Tyree Pokerstar Monti
Tyree Purple Haze
Tyree Sunset
Tyree Seasons Greetings
Copps Vesuvious
Tyree Palawensis
Tyree Undata
LA Lakers
Tyree Pink Sand Dollar
Tyree Setosa
Tyree Flower Petal Cap
Tyree aequituberculata
Leng Sy Cap
Tyree Idaho Grape
Confusa, spongotes
ATL Forest Fire Digi
Greg Hillers Teal digi
Orange Digi

Monti1.jpg

Monti2.jpg

Monti3.jpg

We have glass...

IMG_20120121_093127.jpg

IMG_20120121_093512.jpg

IMG_20120121_093338.jpg

IMG_20120121_094156.jpg

I created a bulkhead for this tank in hopes of hiding most of the equipment and gaining better surface skimming. It's a bit crude as I cut the teeth for the weir using a table saw as my router was DOA.

Weir.jpg

It's amazing how some of the simplest things can take the most time and patience. I spent far too long creating this stone bridge...

Stones.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my prior builds have been "traditional" in that they utilized as much live rock as possible and DSBs when practical, thus no need for additional biomedia. This build is different and will need additional media to support biological filtration.

What sold me on Marine Pure was the BRS video demonstrating the porosity by showing water running straight through it...

[video=youtube_share;ByTzKjqYA2U]http://youtu.be/ByTzKjqYA2U[/video]

The numbers are impressive - A cubic foot of Marinepure 1.5 inch spheres has 98,000 square feet of surface area which is around 600 times the surface area of bioballs. For reference, the interconnected porosity of a single teasoon of activated carbon has the surface area of an entire football field (57,600 square feet).

This tank will quickly become home to a pair of TalCassos, so I want to make sure I have sufficient Nitrification early on. I've had the Marine Pure "seeding" in the sump of an existing tank for a couple weeks. I'm also going to try cycling the tank with ammonia and Dr.Tim’s Nitrifying Bacteria in an effort to support bacterial buildup.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater leak and overflow check complete - Here's the update...

I've been working on the overflow and filtration. The challenge is I have only 8"X 3"X 8" in which to install a return pump and plumbing, heater, temp, ORP, Salinity and pH probes, Osmocontroller sensor and ATO, 2-part dosing, mechanical, chemical and biological filtration a few mangroves..AND...I decided this tank needs a skimmer

I looked at all the commercially available skimmers and none would fit in the available space, so my remaining option was to build one. Due to my very limited acrylic skills, it's not the prettiest, but it does fit in the allotted space (2"x2"X12") and for an airstone-driven skimmer, seems to function well. The reaction chamber is modeled after a Tunze 9006 fitted with a foam extraction unit so I can store the skimmate remotely and lessen the skimmer footprint.

Lastly, I took down my office desktop nano to make way for the 2012 build. Photos forthcoming...

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new direction...

For the past 20 years, every tank I've built has basically been an adaptation of the same theme. Although we've long since lost the plenums, underground filters and skilters, most builds are simply filling a tank with live rock and gluing in Frags. I've had an idea about doing something different and this build presented a perfect opportunity to do so.

This idea isn't revolutionary, it probably isn't even evolutionary - but it is different. At least personally, I've never seen this done. I hope this tank will set forth some new ideas and perspectives about what a "reef tank" might be including new ideas on aquascaping and nanofiltration.

Anyone expecting a traditional reef build will be disappointed. This one will definitively be considered "Abbynormal"

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CSQ DIY Skimmer

The skimmer design is very simple. I used a 12" length of 2" acrylic pipe as it was the largest that would fit in the area available and it's easy to clean using a long handled glass brush. It affixes to the side of the sump area using 3 plastic-encased magnets that are attached to the body of the skimmer using Cyanocrylate (I couldn't get a strong enough seal with silicone.)

Skimmer1.jpg

Skimmer2.jpg

The skimmate collection area is angled to direct the skimmate to a 1/2" drain (Tunze would call it a foam extraction unit.)

Skimmer3.jpg

It's driven by a whisper 10 pump with a single Limewood air stone...

Skimmer4.jpg

I tested multiple airstones, but the turbulence seemed to offset the additional air. I'm also working on a bubble plate (silly I know, but it's easy to get "sucked" into playing with skimmer designs.)

I still have to add the rigid airline that will attach to the air stone and design a small skimmate container that can sit beside the tank on my desk. Based on just a little testing, it seems to work well. It will be placed so the bottom-opening is beside the AC20 intake which I hope will aid it water flow through the skimmer.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the filtration components are now in place...

[video=youtube_share;wNtq9SKmlN4]http://youtu.be/wNtq9SKmlN4[/video]

The filtration process includes an 8" bulkhead and weir feeding raw water to the skimmer, Mangroves (yet to be installed) and an AC20 filter fitted with an InTank insert. The AC20 will hold Chemipure Elite and Purigen as needed. The skimmer is raised to allow space for the Mangroves roots directly below the skimmer opening. Although difficult to see in the photos or video, the Marine Pure bio-balls are enclosed in a vertical acrylic tower which has a slot opening beside the return pump. Filtered water from the AC20 enters the top of the bio-tower and is drawn down through the bio-balls by the return pump just before being warmed and being returned to the tank.

Filtration1.jpg

Filtration2.jpg

Filtration3.jpg

The intake for the AC20 is places immediately beside the skimmer intake in the hopes of increasing flow though both the skimmer and surrounding Mangrove roots. The Apex thermometer is also located in this area, far from the heater to avoid any erroneous measurements and heater cycling. A small bottle serves as a temporary skimmate locker until I come up with a more aesthetically pleasing design.

Filtration4.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the air-stone works - It creates a full column of micro-fine bubble rivaling that of my other pump-driven skimmers, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Filtration5.jpg

This photo was taken just minutes after adding saltwater to the tank and already the water column was filling with foam.

Filtration6.jpg

The Elos Osmocontroller still needs to be installed, and I'm waiting until I have some bio load and waste in the tank before adding the mangroves.

The substrate has been added. The cycle was started using Ammonia, Dr. Tims nitrifying bacteria and the Marine Pure which has been seeding in my home DT sump for the past few weeks.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank seems to be running OK - At least as far as I can tell by monitoring the Apex remotely. I'm noticing the salinity slowly creep up due to evaporation as I haven't gotten an ATO installed yet and I'm running the tank at 82 degrees to promote bacterial growth.

I'm tempted to swing by the office just to see how the skimmers running.

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice setup, id like to know how that marinepure works out for you. Also love those monti frags you got. I'd definitely be worried about that skimmer overflowing that bottle though. keep posting

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice setup, id like to know how that marinepure works out for you. Also love those monti frags you got. I'd definitely be worried about that skimmer overflowing that bottle though. keep posting
Thanks dgiglio3087

The skimmate bottle is just temporary until I figure out a better solution. In the interim, the skimmer is set to run very dry.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff! Love the DIYs. I can't wait to see the scape.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one cool nano. It is really well organised, and you definitely used the overflow space very well. If I were you, I would put a wooden box over the filtration end to hide averything, and stain it the color of your desk.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff! Love the DIYs. I can't wait to see the scape.
Thanks - Me Too!

That is one cool nano. It is really well organised, and you definitely used the overflow space very well. If I were you, I would put a wooden box over the filtration end to hide averything, and stain it the color of your desk.
Thanks, I've considered covering the overflow, but I think the the Mangroves will cover some of, and improve the look of the mechanics.

Very cool, I was subscribed to your last build and I'm really looking forward to this one!
Thanks skinz - I'm hoping this will be a fun one. :)

I'm pleased to report the little skimmer is "rocking." Although there is little to skim a this point, it's functioning well with about half an ounce of light-colored skimmate in the bottle.

I didn't have as much time as hoped today to work on the tank. The Elos Osmocontroller that I had planned to install today shipped without a return line (unlike it's Tunze counterpart.) After wasting time trying to figure out a way to get it installed with what I had on-hand, I shoved it back in its box and re-installed the Tunze Osmolator which has ran perfectly for the past year.

It appears the cycle is well underway (I'm running the tank at 82 degrees to promote bacterial growth.) The ammonia dosed on Friday that raised the tank to 3ppm is gone, measuring zero with no nitrites detected today. I once again raised the ammonia level to 3ppm today and I'll check it again on Wednesday. It appears the seeded Marine Pure coupled with Dr. Tims bacteria are working well. At this rate, the tank might be ready for livestock in about a week.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is sweet. You really put a ton of work into this nano. Well done! Just the few inches you showed us left me wanting more. The skimmer is sweet. Where did you come up with the design?

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is sweet. You really put a ton of work into this nano. Well done! Just the few inches you showed us left me wanting more. The skimmer is sweet. Where did you come up with the design?
Thanks bige - There are a few that are similar - Glazer makes a skimmer very similar to this, but smaller. The Mame skimmer is also somewhat similar but much smaller and very expensive for what it is. The design is basically a miniaturized, airstone-driven version of the Tunze Foam Extraction unit that I use on a 9006 with great success.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have been a bit overoptimistic on the cycle progress. Today I measured .25 Ammonia / 0 Nitrates remaining from the 3ppm dosed on Monday, so we still have a ways to go. I added more ammonia to bring it back to 3ppm and I'll retest on Friday.

Despite there being very little bio-load in the tank, the little skimmer continues to impress...

IMG_20120222_113939.jpg
IMG_20120222_121648.jpg

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really cool! I like the thin and long design and you sure know how to fit lots of equipment in a small space. I think that's one of the most professional looking nanos I've seen in a long time.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really cool! I like the thin and long design and you sure know how to fit lots of equipment in a small space. I think that's one of the most professional looking nanos I've seen in a long time.
Thanks cdness - I enjoy working with the dimensions on these tanks.

Very cool!
Thanks Rev :)

The cycle continues - Dosed ammonia back to 3 PPM, strangely although the Ammonia is largely gone in 48 hours, I'm not able to measure any Nitrites. I'm hoping that is due to the pre-cycled Marine Pure. With any luck, I'll be able to retrieve the Picassos from Tal shortly.

Here are a couple quick shots of the display area, although they may generate more questions than answers...

2012-02-27184541.jpg

2012-02-27184245-1.jpg

2012-02-27184207.jpg

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia 0
Nitrites .50
Nitrates 10 (5~10 - My eyes aren't sharp enough to tell the difference with API test kits.)

Getting closer - Again added ammonia to bring the tank back up to 3ppm. Hopefully I'll be able to knock out a water change and begin installations early next week. :)

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back