jeffreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Friends,

Today I start my R2R journey as I build the perfect little reef for my home office. I am of course talking about the Eshopps Deskmate 4.8 gallon aquarium.

Alright, I may have not been 100% truthful, but I didn’t lie. I’m starting the R2R documentation of my tank build, the tank has been cycling for a little under a week. And it may not have been the Deskmate, there are a lot of gorgeous mixed reef tanks that can fit on the office desk. But something about the Deskmate drew me to it. Maybe the orange glow at the base. I was also strongly considering the Florida peninsula style. But as my desk is up against the wall and can only be viewed from one side, I figured it would be a disservice to a peninsula tank.

So here is a picture of the tank. I bought it from BRS as part of their 2023 Black Friday sale. The events were actually a lot of fun, watching Ryan on YouTube give away prizes (unfortunately I did not win). So after waiting a week for shipping, I set the tank on my desk in the office. Here it is.

IMG_6775.jpeg
IMG_6777.jpeg

In order to prevent this post from becoming too long, I plan to break this initial week up into a few posts.

Until next time, Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
jeffreefer85

jeffreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After receiving the tank, it took me until Sunday, 3 December 2023, to get over to the local fish store. I picked up a few pounds of live rock. Small pieces of purple rock to use in building as an aquascape. I also grabbed 10 pounds of Caribsea Live Sand Oolite. I got 2.2 gallons of Nutri-Seawater as I don't make more than 5 gallons of saltwater at a time for my other Biocube 16. Lastly I picked up a Sicce Syncra Nano (as I heard the circa100 that comes with the Deskmate is quite noisy), and a Sicce 10W Jolly thermometer.

One note, I used some cardboard as a shim under the tank to level the tank from back to front. This is do to the floor being sloped in the house and the desk being a 'L' shape.

As you can see from my aquascape, I didn't want to go too tall with the rock work to leave room for coral growth. I wanted a little swim through arch for my fish, but wanted it to be off center. The rest of the rocks, I wanted to be sloping upward from front to back, to give a feeling of being a bigger display than it really is. I also wanted to have a small rock island or two in order to host some of the more aggressive corals. Even though, I bought some small corals, I still needed to employ my trusty hammer to get the pieces just right. Let me know what you think of the aquascape. I think I like it as much as I can a pile of rocks lol.

image_50401281.JPG

image_67206401.JPG

Since I didn't seed any rock or sand from my Biocube 16, I plan to let this tank cycle for a few weeks. I believe I introduced Nemo (daughter named him) to my Biocube on week 3 after checking parameters, and having the fish store confirm. Either way, below are my ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels according to the Red Sea Marine Care Program Test Kit.

salinity = 32
temp = 73.5
pH= 7.25
NH3+NH4 = 0.2mg/L, which according to the table is .02 Mg/L of NH3
NO2 = 0.1
NO3 = 2

In terms of fish, I don't want to go crazy with such a small tank. I have seen people stock with a pair of juvenile clowns, or various types of gobies. So I have time to think on that.

For coral I am thinking mixed reef. I would like to push the tank to the limit, so this will be a slow process of introducing coral.

Feel free to reply and let me know your thoughts. Also if you have any suggestions for lights, ATOs, media filtration, dosing, etc. I am all ears.

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool little setup! Looking forward to seeing it develop. Since you plan on doing fish, will you be using a top?

As for filtration, see if you can get your hands on a media basket for the first chamber. Makes having multiple types of filtration a breeze with these AIO tanks.

OP
OP
jeffreefer85

jeffreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool little setup! Looking forward to seeing it develop. Since you plan on doing fish, will you be using a top?

As for filtration, see if you can get your hands on a media basket for the first chamber. Makes having multiple types of filtration a breeze with these AIO tanks.
For a top I was considering the Kraken Reef lid with evaporation cover. I am having to top off this guy almost daily. Not sure how much the condensation will effect the PAR of whichever light I go with.

For filtration I was looking at the Eshopps filter media tray. I read that it may not fit under the baffle between the first and second chamber. Apparently Eshopps changed the baffle from black to orange, and the orange one goes further down then the black one (preventing you from sliding the tray into the first chamber). At least that’s what I read on an Amazon review.

Appreciate the input and let me know if you have any ideas. I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much the condensation will effect the PAR of whichever light I go with.
Hey a strong enough light and don't worry about it! Lol

As for the media basket, I'd try contacting them directly to see if they can direct you on which one to buy. BRS doesn't have one that's made for it?

OP
OP
jeffreefer85

jeffreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: for a light for this tank. I am between the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue (with or without the controller) or the AI 16HD. Recommendations?

Also, what is everyone using for media filtration and where are you putting it? I see the Eshopps Media Tray sold on Amazon apparently doesn’t fit.

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be using a Radion xr15. But just because I have one already. Otherwise I would be going with the AI. Nothing against keasil but got the money the AI dose what is needed on this tank and gives me all control.

I’m interested in filtration as well. The sock holder is permanent so it limits options without cutting the tank.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After receiving the tank, it took me until Sunday, 3 December 2023, to get over to the local fish store. I picked up a few pounds of live rock. Small pieces of purple rock to use in building as an aquascape. I also grabbed 10 pounds of Caribsea Live Sand Oolite. I got 2.2 gallons of Nutri-Seawater as I don't make more than 5 gallons of saltwater at a time for my other Biocube 16. Lastly I picked up a Sicce Syncra Nano (as I heard the circa100 that comes with the Deskmate is quite noisy), and a Sicce 10W Jolly thermometer.

One note, I used some cardboard as a shim under the tank to level the tank from back to front. This is do to the floor being sloped in the house and the desk being a 'L' shape.

As you can see from my aquascape, I didn't want to go too tall with the rock work to leave room for coral growth. I wanted a little swim through arch for my fish, but wanted it to be off center. The rest of the rocks, I wanted to be sloping upward from front to back, to give a feeling of being a bigger display than it really is. I also wanted to have a small rock island or two in order to host some of the more aggressive corals. Even though, I bought some small corals, I still needed to employ my trusty hammer to get the pieces just right. Let me know what you think of the aquascape. I think I like it as much as I can a pile of rocks lol.

image_50401281.JPG

image_67206401.JPG

Since I didn't seed any rock or sand from my Biocube 16, I plan to let this tank cycle for a few weeks. I believe I introduced Nemo (daughter named him) to my Biocube on week 3 after checking parameters, and having the fish store confirm. Either way, below are my ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels according to the Red Sea Marine Care Program Test Kit.

salinity = 32
temp = 73.5
pH= 7.25
NO2 = 0.1
NO3 = 2

In terms of fish, I don't want to go crazy with such a small tank. I have seen people stock with a pair of juvenile clowns, or various types of gobies. So I have time to think on that.

For coral I am thinking mixed reef. I would like to push the tank to the limit, so this will be a slow process of introducing coral.

Feel free to reply and let me know your thoughts. Also if you have any suggestions for lights, ATOs, media filtration, dosing, etc. I am all ears.

Tank is looking good so far!

OP
OP
jeffreefer85

jeffreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be using a Radion xr15. But just because I have one already. Otherwise I would be going with the AI. Nothing against keasil but got the money the AI dose what is needed on this tank and gives me all control.

I’m interested in filtration as well. The sock holder is permanent so it limits options without cutting the tank.
I’ll let you know if I find anything. I have a media basket in my Biocube 16 that holds filter floss, chemipure, and purigen. I like this combo but not sure how to do it in the Deskmate.

OP
OP
jeffreefer85

jeffreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank chemistry update. Looks pretty much the same, but the colors are a little difficult to read.

salinity = 32
temp = 73.5
pH= 7.37
NO2 = 0.2
NO3 = 2

Just trying to figure out what to ask Santa for :p

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking for filter solutions and Kraken Reef has a media cup for the back sock holder. I’m thinking of trying that with some floss since a rack will not work.

OP
OP
jeffreefer85

jeffreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give an update on my office tank. After checking parameters this week (9Jan), I was able to confirm that the cycle had concluded. My nitrates were at 20 and ammonia and nitrites were both at 0. I did a 75% water change to reduce the nitrates.

Now for the additions to the tank.

First I would like to introduce everyone to the first inhabitant of "Coral Cove" (still working on the name), Elsa. She is a Frostbite clownfish I picked up at Petco on 10Jan. My daughter named her Elsa (get it, Frostbite...). So far she is loving her new home.

1705086847458.png

Also, for Christmas I got some new gear for the tank. For a light I settled on the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue. I am loving this light so far. I run it on an 8 hour schedule (10AM-6PM), controlled by a smart surge protector. I have not fiddled with the intensity or color too much as Elsa is the only one in the tank. Once I start adding some coral, I will work the configuration for maximum growth.

1705087057334.png

I also got a Kraken lid with evap cover and filter cup. The form fit size is a blessing and makes life super easy. In the filter cup I have some filter floss and some Chemi-Pure Blue Nano. My plan it to do weekly water changes of 50%, but this media should help keep my water parameters in check.

1705087223336.png

For Auto Top Off I added the Tunze Osmolator 3152. I have this attached to a 2.2 gallon reservoir under the desk. Again, this is plugged into my smart surge protector and is set to turn on for one minute starting at noon each day. Between controlling the power to the unit and the float valve, and the Brand name, I am hoping for no catastrophes.

1705087379653.png

1705087406242.png

1705087432421.png

Lastly, I added the Inkbird-306A WiFi heat controller. This will ensure the tank stays between 77 and 79.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

That is all for now. Next I will be adding some cleanup crew to the Coral Cove.

Thanks for stopping by. Until next time, Happy Reefing!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give an update on my office tank. After checking parameters this week (9Jan), I was able to confirm that the cycle had concluded. My nitrates were at 20 and ammonia and nitrites were both at 0. I did a 75% water change to reduce the nitrates.

Now for the additions to the tank.

First I would like to introduce everyone to the first inhabitant of "Coral Cove" (still working on the name), Elsa. She is a Frostbite clownfish I picked up at Petco on 10Jan. My daughter named her Elsa (get it, Frostbite...). So far she is loving her new home.

1705086847458.png

Also, for Christmas I got some new gear for the tank. For a light I settled on the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue. I am loving this light so far. I run it on an 8 hour schedule (10AM-6PM), controlled by a smart surge protector. I have not fiddled with the intensity or color too much as Elsa is the only one in the tank. Once I start adding some coral, I will work the configuration for maximum growth.

1705087057334.png

I also got a Kraken lid with evap cover and filter cup. The form fit size is a blessing and makes life super easy. In the filter cup I have some filter floss and some Chemi-Pure Blue Nano. My plan it to do weekly water changes of 50%, but this media should help keep my water parameters in check.

1705087223336.png

For Auto Top Off I added the Tunze Osmolator 3152. I have this attached to a 2.2 gallon reservoir under the desk. Again, this is plugged into my smart surge protector and is set to turn on for one minute starting at noon each day. Between controlling the power to the unit and the float valve, and the Brand name, I am hoping for no catastrophes.

1705087379653.png

1705087406242.png

1705087432421.png

Lastly, I added the Inkbird-306A WiFi heat controller. This will ensure the tank stays between 77 and 79.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

That is all for now. Next I will be adding some cleanup crew to the Coral Cove.

Thanks for stopping by. Until next time, Happy Reefing!
I have the same brand of ato for my tank, couldn't be more pleased with mine!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back