Deskmate Classic Build

jpughmom757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to try removing the front left rock and tbh I am so happy I did. Opened up the space a lot more and still plenty of room for coral on the rock! Lmk what ya'll think!

main111.jpg
Looking good i really like the orange! Its guna look great! Have fun

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test for today

Ammonium : 1.0
Nitrite : 5.0
Nitrate 10 ppm

I'm a little confused by the fluctuation on nitrite and nitrates. I havent done any water changes so why would either be fluctuating so much, moreso for nitrates? Shouldn't that remain constant til a water change is done? I'm still new to this so any clarification would be nice.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonium : .5

Finally got my @Kraken Reef Lid. This thing is top notch quality and I am very happy with it. Also rearranged the rockscape once more. I slowly realized that less is gonna be more in this tank and I think the shape and size here is gonna be perfect.

IMG-2712.jpg
IMG-2713.jpg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonium : .5

Finally got my @Kraken Reef Lid. This thing is top notch quality and I am very happy with it. Also rearranged the rockscape once more. I slowly realized that less is gonna be more in this tank and I think the shape and size here is gonna be perfect.

IMG-2712.jpg
IMG-2713.jpg
I like the new aquascape design!

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t sweat on your cycle parameters too much. It will happen, best not to get into the mindset of ‘I can add x on day y’.

Where did you land on your light schedule?

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t sweat on your cycle parameters too much. It will happen, best not to get into the mindset of ‘I can add x on day y’.

Where did you land on your light schedule?
So for rn I have no lights on, just turn them on for pics. As far as the schedule I plan to use to start I’m gonna use WWC AI Prime settings for the pico tank. Just gonna start with that and see how everything likes it.

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for rn I have no lights on, just turn them on for pics. As far as the schedule I plan to use to start I’m gonna use WWC AI Prime settings for the pico tank. Just gonna start with that and see how everything likes it.
I would also base it on where you get your corals from. I used preset from another reefer that had thriving SPS in his desktop..... but it fried my corals. I later found out that the supplier I normally get it from keep their light intensity really low.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also base it on where you get your corals from. I used preset from another reefer that had thriving SPS in his desktop..... but it fried my corals. I later found out that the supplier I normally get it from keep their light intensity really low.
I’ll post a screenshot of the settings in here. I don’t plan on having any sps so the intensities are pretty low to my understand but I do expect to have to adjust them a bit at some point. With the weekly water changes I probably could handle sps without dosing but I much prefer lps and softies. Maybe when I get a bigger tank a few years down the line I’ll dip into sps.

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post a screenshot of the settings in here. I don’t plan on having any sps so the intensities are pretty low to my understand but I do expect to have to adjust them a bit at some point. With the weekly water changes I probably could handle sps without dosing but I much prefer lps and softies. Maybe when I get a bigger tank a few years down the line I’ll dip into sps.
That's exactly what I said when I got my desktop. It's now a "mostly" SPS tank.

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean say I had one or two acro. Wouldn’t the light they require fry any soft or lps coral I get in a tank this small?
It's all about acclimation. I have LPS and SPS that are doing great. As long as you acclimate them probably... the softies will find a spot they like.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean say I had one or two acro. Wouldn’t the light they require fry any soft or lps coral I get in a tank this small?
I assume that’s what the acclimation setting for my AI Prime is. So say I add a hammer after light acclimation for stuff already in the tank is done. Would I run the acclimation setting again? I believe it last 30 days and my assumption is it slowly increases the light level to the desired setting

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to start with low intensity light in small tanks and build up slowly, adding CUC first, then low light corals, medium light etc.

Keep in mind the space limitations in your system, small tanks fill up very quickly and aggressive corals with long sweepers can be a problem. I find it’s better to take your time and wait for nice pieces to become available rather than rushing into impulse coral buys just to get something in there.

Contrasting colours and textures for the pro look.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to start with low intensity light in small tanks and build up slowly, adding CUC first, then low light corals, medium light etc.

Keep in mind the space limitations in your system, small tanks fill up very quickly and aggressive corals with long sweepers can be a problem. I find it’s better to take your time and wait for nice pieces to become available rather than rushing into impulse coral buys just to get something in there.

Contrasting colours and textures for the pro look.
I know I want a Pom Pom crab and nassarius snail but after that I’m not sure what would go good. If I don’t have much algae I doubt I could get many to start.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonium : 0
Nitrite : 2.0-5.0 again api test hard to tell.

Here is the pic for my lighting schedule I will use after the cycle. Lmk any suggestions. Also will I need my nitrites to completely disappear before I can consider the cycle done? I've seen differing opinions.

unnamed.jpg

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, your acrylic top looks a bit scuffed? Or is that condensation. That will lower PAR by quite a bit. I run saxby schedule with a max of 65% (UV, V) 50% (RY, B) 15% (CW)..... Just mesh top. no diffuser.

once your light is acclimated....when adding coral.... put them on the sand bed in a corner where PAR is minimal....then slowly move them to up to where you think lights is sufficient. I just got the hulk digi in the lower left and will move it up the other digi over a few weeks.
IMG_7797.jpg

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, your acrylic top looks a bit scuffed? Or is that condensation. That will lower PAR by quite a bit. I run saxby schedule with a max of 65% (UV, V) 50% (RY, B) 15% (CW)..... Just mesh top. no diffuser.

once your light is acclimated....when adding coral.... put them on the sand bed in a corner where PAR is minimal....then slowly move them to up to where you think lights is sufficient. I just got the hulk digi in the lower left and will move it up the other digi over a few weeks.
IMG_7797.jpg
Nah it isn't scuffed its just the condensation. Came in completely clear. Is there any way you could share your preset with me? I see the saxby one but with differing nubers for maximum ie royal blue is at 99% on his

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonium : 0

A week into the cycle and everything is going well so far. Hoping my nitrite starts to come down by the end of the next week of the cycle. I plan on adding the yahsa goby and pistol shrimp combo once the cycle is done and the tank has been stable for about a week. Of course a sizable water change as well. Will also add a few CUC. Any recommendations for first CUC to add?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after water testing tonight I decided to dose ammonium up to 2-3 ppm. I am gonna test tomorrow to see how much has been consumed. I am gonna hope for a 0 reading within the 24 hours. If I do I plan on doing a large water change to get my nitrites down as they have been off the charts for a bit now.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back