Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonium : 1.0
Nitrite : 5

Alright so a little over half the ammonium chloride I put in got consumed. Because my nitrites have been unreadable I decided to do a 3 gallon water change which is roughly 60%. I retested my nitrites and they are still well off the charts. I then diluted a test with half RO water and half tank water and retested nitrites again. Still off the charts. My question is what should I do from here? Another big water change or wait it out? Should I keep dosing ammonia?

Since the tank is processing ammonia can/should I add fish? I have read that nitrites aren't dangerous for fish unless highly concentrated. The plan would be to do a large water change to eliminate the high nitrite readings I have rn to a readable level.

Last edited:

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your schedule looks good for a dry rock small nano start, not too much light. Curious about the 35% early green though, any reason for that?

I’ve never used the Dr Tim’s method personally, seems too fiddly and aimed towards new hobbyists who are desperate to get a fish in the tank after 14 days. I wouldn’t dose any more ammonia though.

If it was me, I’d kick on the lights and wait for the usual diatom > film algae > GHA cycle. Add a couple of small herbivorous snails at first sign of film algae, hermits if you want them but you’ll have to feed them on a semi regular basis.

I would not be dropping a hundo worth of Yasha and shrimp in for a while yet. Your water chemistry will be unstable over the next month or so and odds are you’ll have some algae to tame.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your schedule looks good for a dry rock small nano start, not too much light. Curious about the 35% early green though, any reason for that?

I’ve never used the Dr Tim’s method personally, seems too fiddly and aimed towards new hobbyists who are desperate to get a fish in the tank after 14 days. I wouldn’t dose any more ammonia though.

If it was me, I’d kick on the lights and wait for the usual diatom > film algae > GHA cycle. Add a couple of small herbivorous snails at first sign of film algae, hermits if you want them but you’ll have to feed them on a semi regular basis.

I would not be dropping a hundo worth of Yasha and shrimp in for a while yet. Your water chemistry will be unstable over the next month or so and odds are you’ll have some algae to tame.
So as far as the light schedule it literally is copy paste from WWC pico tank schedule. As far a lighting goes my understanding is novice. Should I take the green out?

Yeah dosing more ammonia feels like it would add to the problem. So basically youre saying kick the lights on and run the schedule from here on out? Just wait for the algae to tell me the cycle is done?

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green and red spectrums can pop colour in corals but may also promote algae growth. The WWC pico set ups I’ve seen use high quality tank cured live rock to kick things off. This allows them to add corals straight away. You’re starting quite a few steps back. Take this info as you will, they’re pro coral farmers, I’m not.

Yes, I’d start your schedule on acclimation mode. I would also nix the green and consider experimenting with it later.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green and red spectrums can pop colour in corals but may also promote algae growth. The WWC pico set ups I’ve seen use high quality tank cured live rock to kick things off. This allows them to add corals straight away. You’re starting quite a few steps back. Take this info as you will, they’re pro coral farmers, I’m not.

Yes, I’d start your schedule on acclimation mode. I would also nix the green and consider experimenting with it later.
Okay that sounds like a plan. I just took the green out. Would there be anything wrong adding like 10% cool white? Or just add it a little later down the line? I prefer the look with a little white mixed in. Nicer on the eyes for me :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really much to update on but just showing a pic of the tank currently. Lights have been on running my schedule for two days now. Not noticing any algae growth. Will keep updated if anything changes.

unnamed (2).jpg

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really much to update on but just showing a pic of the tank currently. Lights have been on running my schedule for two days now. Not noticing any algae growth. Will keep updated if anything changes.

unnamed (2).jpg
If you are on Facebook, look up the AI Prime/Hydra Reef group. Pennywise has some awesome light settings for the primes.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

unnamed (2).jpg
Light looks great on the tank

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to give an update I still have no algae present in the tank however I tested my nitrites this morning and to my surprise, they are at .25 now.

Should I be concerned that I’m not seeing algae yet? Or will I not see any til I add fish? Also should I dose ammonia one more time to be certain it processes through or just leave it?

Last edited:

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll likely see diatoms first. They’ll appear as a brown dusting on your sand bed, rocks and glass. They will run their course reasonably quickly.

You will get algae without fish, perhaps just not as quickly or as strong an initial bloom if you decide to add fish and their requisite food early on.

I don’t see any reason to add more ammonia.

This is a tough phase for beginners, just waiting for something to happen. The urge to expedite things is strong.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll likely see diatoms first. They’ll appear as a brown dusting on your sand bed, rocks and glass. They will run their course reasonably quickly.

You will get algae without fish, perhaps just not as quickly or as strong an initial bloom if you decide to add fish and their requisite food early on.

I don’t see any reason to add more ammonia.

This is a tough phase for beginners, just waiting for something to happen. The urge to expedite things is strong.
So I tested again after getting home. Nitrites are nearly completely gone, less than .25 if not 0. Nitrates are at 10ppm now. Would there be anything wrong with adding a fish before CUC? When would be the appropriate time to add the single fish?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’d like everyone to meet my new tailspot blenny! I was gonna call him Lenny but I feel like that’s too corny :grinning-squinting-face: Woke up this morning and he’s been out and about. He’s been moving the sand around quite a bit. Seems to be happy. The video won’t load when I post it but He’s been busy to say the least!

IMG_2763.jpeg

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so just a quick update. I picked up a cerith snail and a pom pom crab. Just got added in yesterday and so far so good. Pom Pom did slighlty charge at the blenny but they have left eachother alone since so far. I assume it was the crab defending the mysis I just put in for him. I'll keep an eye on him in the mean time. Also picked up a lense to take better photos of the tank so lmk what you guys think!

As far as feeding everyone in the tank is eating. Took the blenny about three days for me to see him actively pick the rock or eat pellets but he has been very active overall. Has about three or four spots he like to chill at. So far so good!

Also I wanna note I still don't have any visible algae at least to my eye but again the blenny has been picking at the rock occassionaly so I am assuming there is something there.

IMG-2784.jpg
IMG-2790.jpg
IMG-2780.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so just a quick update. I picked up a cerith snail and a pom pom crab. Just got added in yesterday and so far so good. Pom Pom did slighlty charge at the blenny but they have left eachother alone since so far. I assume it was the crab defending the mysis I just put in for him. I'll keep an eye on him in the mean time. Also picked up a lense to take better photos of the tank so lmk what you guys think!

As far as feeding everyone in the tank is eating. Took the blenny about three days for me to see him actively pick the rock or eat pellets but he has been very active overall. Has about three or four spots he like to chill at. So far so good!

Also I wanna note I still don't have any visible algae at least to my eye but again the blenny has been picking at the rock occassionaly so I am assuming there is something there.

IMG-2784.jpg
IMG-2790.jpg
IMG-2780.jpg
Funny how the crab charged at the blenny, hopefully they remain peaceful to each other haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back