Deskmate Classic Build

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. This thread will be tracking the progress on my first ever reef tank. Decided to accept the challenge of starting small. I'm always down for tips and help along the way especially if I'm doing something wrong. The tank will have softies and LPS and I plan on adding a tailspot blenny to the tank. If someone can share their AI prime settings if they have a deskmate with one that would be appreciated. Mainly wanna know how long you have it running each day and at what power %. Don't wanna cook anybody :grinning-face-with-sweat:

As far as equipment here goes:

1x Eshopps Deskmate 4.8 Pico Tank
Stock Pump
VCA Dual Random Flow Generator Kit

1x AI Prime 16 Black
Ai Prime Flex Arm Mount

1x Nano Life Rock Kit

1x 10lb Fiji Pink Sand Bag

1x 100W Titanium Heater w/ Inkbird Controller
Backup- Eheim Jager TruTemp 50W

1x Duetto2 Dual-Sensor ATO

I would Like opinions on the aquascape. Played around for about an hour and this is what I came up with. Water will be going in Sunday and I will be using Dr. Tims One and Only to get her going. Any recommendations from here on out are much appreciated! Also a lid and filter floss holder will be coming from Kraken Reef!

IMG_2665.jpeg
IMG_2673.jpeg
IMG_2675.jpeg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new adventure! This is a great little tank!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks good! Once you get water in it you will be able to get a better sense of the flow patterns. Also make sure that you have enough space to clean the inside walls of the tank between the rock and the walls (hard to see for sure from the picture). It is visually pleasing and there are a lost of caves for fish and attachment points for corals.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks good! Once you get water in it you will be able to get a better sense of the flow patterns. Also make sure that you have enough space to clean the inside walls of the tank between the rock and the walls (hard to see for sure from the picture). It is visually pleasing and there are a lost of caves for fish and attachment points for corals.
Thank you! As far as space between the glass I have enough to get a magic eraser sponge in between so should be good.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 7/2/2023:

Water is in! Fortunately I didn't get the water too cloudy. A lot of microbubles on the surface and on the acrylic but with time I think they will disappear. If I should intervene with the bubbles lmk. Ill be checking water parameters in a few days to make sure the cycle has started. I put Dr. Tim's one and only in so that should help it along.

One question I have is about keeping the light on or off during the cycle. Which is better if any is better and why? Seen mixed opinions on it so figured I'd see what ya'll think.

Thanks to all following the build!

No water 1.jpg
No water 2.jpg
With water 1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a quick update. Just started the Dr. Tim's cycle with their One and Only as well as their ammonium chloride. Gonna be following the steps and logging my water tests on here every day til the cycle is complete. Any recommendations for anything during this process, leave a reply!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a quick update. Just started the Dr. Tim's cycle with their One and Only as well as their ammonium chloride. Gonna be following the steps and logging my water tests on here every day til the cycle is complete. Any recommendations for anything during this process, leave a reply!
Did dr Tim’s for my tank as well!! Just follow the instructions provided with it and you’ll be good to go

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the water tests for 7/8/2023

Ammonia : 3.0
Nitrite : 3.0
Nitrate : 20 ppm

So this is technically day 2 of the cycle. I added the bacteria and ammonium chloride yesterday. After a few hours I tested the ammonia and it tested around 5.0. Is it normal for the ammonia level to drop that low and for nitrite to rise that high that quick? I did use quite a bit of the Dr. Tim's One and Only but only two caps. Took the "Can't overdose" to heart :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how this turns out! I think the tank could do without that front left rock, it would really open up the space and look less crowded 6 months down the line :)
I do see what you're saying. That would open it up for some sand dwelling corals as well. I'm gonna have to think on it. What does everyone else think about that idea?

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s something about these little tanks that’s really appealing. In terms of your scape, it’s a little busy in there buts that’s par for the course with small tanks. On the plus side, having a separate rock is great for corals that you don’t want spreading to your main structure.

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s something about these little tanks that’s really appealing. In terms of your scape, it’s a little busy in there buts that’s par for the course with small tanks. On the plus side, having a separate rock is great for corals that you don’t want spreading to your main structure.
Just posted a pic with one less rock piece. lmk what ya think!

OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test results for today

Ammonium : 2.0
Nitrite : 4.0
Nitrate : 5 ppm

Per the Dr. Tims directions, I added more ammonium chloride solution. Checking it 24 hours later it only went up by 1.0.
Im showing nitrates in the tank at the level I need now. I suppose its just a waiting game for ammonium and nitrte to go to 0.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back