To purchase RODI unit or not

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering to set up pico tank either Eshopps Deskmate 4.8 gallon or Mariana drop style 7 gallon.

I exited the hobby and sold all of the maintenance equipment. Since it is a pico tank, I am well aware that the stock and feeding will be very minimal, and yet I may get Eshopps nano skimmer.

So my question is, is it worth it to get RODI unit? or should I get premade salt water or RODI water from LFS? I don’t want to heavily invested in expensive reef equipment.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say do what you want and see how it goes.
If you find it's easy and convenient to take the LFS water, give it a try for a while and see how it goes.
If it works well and you don't mind going to fetch water when you need it, then that's good.
If the quality isn't good enough to do what you want, or you get tired of fetching water you can always get your own RO/DI system later.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was buying RODI water from the LFS closest to me for a couple weeks but it was constantly reading 2 TDS even though the owners swore it was 0. I have a 14gal nano so initially I wanted to go this way but I realized ultimately I would save money and have my own peace of mind making my own RODI and saltwater. The RODI buddy is fairly inexpensive and has been very consistent.

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m an anxious person so I like having it just in case something goes terribly wrong and the lfs is closed. Then you can whip up your own water fast. Plus you might upgrade at some point to a bigger tank!!

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m an anxious person so I like having it just in case something goes terribly wrong and the lfs is closed. Then you can whip up your own water fast. Plus you might upgrade at some point to a bigger tank!!

This. You'll start with one pico and end up with another a few months later while contemplating on an AIO nano all along

Whoops, look at me projecting

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Als is my LFS. I have never bought their RODI water. They also sell Seapora pre-mixed salt water.

I don’t see myself upgrading in the next 10 years at least.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some house plants, make it worth it.

I got my water from my LFS for a couple years and just recently got my own unit. There was nothing wrong with their water, it was the needing to go out and get it that was my issue.

"Just a couple days of tap water won't hurt anything" turns into "where the hell is all this algae coming from" before you know it.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some house plants, make it worth it.

I got my water from my LFS for a couple years and just recently got my own unit. There was nothing wrong with their water, it was the needing to go out and get it that was my issue.

"Just a couple days of tap water won't hurt anything" turns into "where the hell is all this algae coming from" before you know it.
House plants? Sorry I don’t follow you.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't RODI units expel a lot of waste water compared to the clean water it produces? Is that based on model/brand, or generally an RODI thing?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't RODI units expel a lot of waste water compared to the clean water it produces? Is that based on model/brand, or generally an RODI thing?
This is a factor of the membrane. They all produce a certain amount of waste water, it could be like 4:1 ratio or it could be closer to 1:1 depending on the setup, but yes either way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back