Spots on Foxface

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a spot on my foxface yesterday. It was white, almost like he injured himself on the rocks. Today it is red and I see another, larger white spot. Any advice?

The fish is a little over a year old, all my fish were bought quarantined. No new livestock in 9 months besides a BTA 4 months ago.

82CBD032-21BD-4AD8-8E96-042B7B361C3E.jpeg

E8090005-7FD3-4DA6-BDE5-11F71F9725CA.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im thinking flukes or Lympho but I do see dots also on its nose leading to Flukes or Oodinum.
I would start with a freshwater dip for 5 minutes in a clean bucket. Add fish to bucket of tap water the same temperature as display tank for 5 mins. Thereafter return it to display tank.
Using a flashlight, look at bottom of that bucket for what looks like fish scales or sesame seeds. If you can see that - Flukes.
If not , treatment such as Coppersafe or General cure may be warranted

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have anything but guesses.

I would just observe for now, as long as it doesn't get worse or quit eating.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with everyone. It reminds me of the person with the fish with the white line - that developed a bacterial infection - with bloody lesions within 24 hours. It could be an external parasite. I agree with a freshwater dip - or observation. I cannot think of the name of the large parasite that attaches like this. Definitely - at minimum watch carefully

Trevor Paden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everyone. Being that I don’t have trap, i opted for observation. The red dot looks almost completely healed today and the fish is still eating like a pig. I’ll continue watching him.
My one spot fox has developed this exact spot in the same area twice now...6 months apart. I think when fighting a tang the foxface uses his spines to defend against the tail spike of a tang leading to this mysterious mark that never gets worse.

Trevor Paden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one spot fox has developed this exact spot in the same area twice now...6 months apart. I think when fighting a tang the foxface uses his spines to defend against the tail spike of a tang leading to this mysterious mark that never gets worse.
Just an idea though, I have no proof. Just a desjardini tang that likes to occasionally spar with a faxface.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back