CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Build

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is that the pourous media on the bottom? Covered in acrylic?

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is that the pourous media on the bottom? Covered in acrylic?
No - I considered installing the block form of marine pure in the substrate, but was concerned about the accumaltion of detritus and difficulty in cleaning. Instead I created an acrylic column that holds the Marine Pure spheres in the overflow area - It's partially visible in this photo...

Filtration1.jpg

A slow trickle of water from the AC50 is fed into the top of the tower. The return pump pulls water down through the media through a small lit in the bottom of the tower.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's number are encouraging....
  • Ammonia 0
  • Nitrites 0
  • Nitrates 0~5 (I don't know how anyone can tell the difference using an API test)
I'm especially pleased that the Nitrates number has dropped. I know it's far too early to draw any conclusions, but until evidence points otherwise, I'm going to hope the Marine Pure denitrification experiment is working :) I re-dosed ammonia back to 3ppm - if Mondays results show the same were "in business."

I'm also pleased that at least thus far, there have been no signs of typical cycle-related algae or Cyano outbreaks. I'm wondering if it's just a bit early, or if jumping right to ammonia has had an impact. Time will tell.

I remembered to bring my DSLR to the office and at the moment, I've got reef "parts" completely covering my desk. I'll get some photography done this evening and with any luck - will be able to start installations on Monday.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little skimmer that could...

2012-03-021701.jpg

I'm anxious to see what it does when it actually has waste (other than the ammonia being dosed) to deal with.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome build! very clean and well thought out !
Thanks Secret :)

"No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."

Monday was a mixed-news day. The good was that I believe we've got the cycle completed. Once again the 3ppm of ammonia added to the tank on Friday was gone on with no signs of any nuisance algae or bacterial blooms...

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

I'll dose another 3 ppm ammonia today to keep things going and reach out to Tal to let him know I can pick up the clowns next week. The flip side of the coin was that part of my concept didn't provide quite the anticipated results...

As I've been working through the idea and build for this tank, I had what started as two separate concepts that, somewhere in the process I had believed could be incorporated together. While in a larger tank I'm convinced it would work; in a tank this small including both designs resulted in a bit too "muchiness", so...

I spent the better part of yesterday removing and remaking each installation for this tank, removing the second design component. I am confident this will achieve the intended results.

I hope to have it completed in the next few days and be able to start photography. Hopefully by early next week you'll be able to see what I've been up to :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, Gnome glass introduced a line of blown-glass skimmers at reefstock that are somewhat similar to the one created for this build. I still prefer my design, especially considering the $90 price tag for their largest model which is still smaller than this design. I believe the larger diameter drain line will be much more efficient and I prefer the use of magnets instead of a zip-tie.

Gnome Glass Skimmers and strainers launches at ReefStock

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, Gnome glass introduced a line of blown-glass skimmers at reefstock that are somewhat similar to the one created for this build. I still prefer my design, especially considering the $90 price tag for their largest model which is still smaller than this design. I believe the larger diameter drain line will be much more efficient and I prefer the use of magnets instead of a zip-tie.

Gnome Glass Skimmers and strainers launches at ReefStock

I think I like your design better.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom - Looking great so far. I enjoyed watching the last one you made and cant wait to see more with this one!

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delays all...

I spent much of last week in DC for meetings on the hill, after which I had the urge to bath in hand sanitizer. Thankfully I'm mostly recovered from the unprovoked attack of kitchen cabinetry.

After a water a 25% water change - Here's a quick cell pic of the first intentional life in the tank - I temporarily added in a tiny Acan frag to make sure it would support life.

2012-03-26154256.jpg

As for whats coming next, here's the backstory...

I've kept aquariums for more than 30 years, like many originally freshwater, then reef. Having survived the brief plenum, reverse plenum and skilter era, all builds have been variations of the same basic theme - "Stuff the tank with the most live rock possible". Although it makes great biological sense and is representative of a natural reef and although I consider myself a traditionalist, I wanted to do something different with this tank. So I decided to do basically the opposite. Create a tank that incorporates no live rock and bears little resemblance to a natural reef while still providing the necessary biological filtration.

I've always marveled at Mother Nature's creations - especially those residing in the oceans. A brilliant display of beauty with but a hint of a sense of humor. I thought it might be interesting to create individual pieces... sculptures if you will designed to showcase and accent each coral with a minimal of distraction. Each coral treated much the way Tiffany would feature a precious gemstone or jewelry creation.

Each piece has been created with specific corals in mind. I'll be introducing the first later this week with new additions thereafter. The first while among the simplest in appearance, took more hours to create than any other piece and will feature 3 Acan Lords.

Thanks for everyone's patience :)

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first installation, I took a section of cast acrylic pipe, cut it lengthwise then heated it and formed an angle toward the front of the tank. I then ground and polished a flat surface and painted the reverse side black using Krylon Fusion.

Acan7.jpg

I then used a diamond blade on a Dremel to shape 4 Acan Lord Frags to allow low-profile mounting. Although the photos don't do a good job of showing the Acans, I selected a purple, red with a bright tangerine star-burst center, pink and green/purple frags to provide contrast. I'll grab better macro and actinic shots once they recover from the carving, mounting and travel.

Acan4.jpg

Acan2.jpg

Acan1-1.jpg

Over time they should merge together, encompassing the entire acrylic substrate.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like it!

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it!
I like it too.
Thanks!

I believe it will evolve into a very unique look as the Acans grow together and "assimilate" the design. Thus far, I've got 10 other pieces designed and in various stages of completion, each entirely different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build
Thanks Jeremy!

As I was thinking through the design possibilities for this tank, one tenet was to NOT think in terms of coral (aside from the obvious environmental needs.) Some of the designs were based on Topiary methods used in Horticulture and the concept of creating a submarine formal English garden. To that end, here's the the second installation...

2012-03-30-081245.png

3/32" diameter acrylic rod was heated and wrapped around a wooden dowel to create the spiral. A small section of larger diameter acrylic tubing was affixed to the base to form an attachment point for the coral - in this case, a pink, photosynthetic Gorgonian...

IMG_20120330_135633.png

The Gorg looks pretty shabby at the moment this photo was taken as it had been placed in the tank minutes before and after just having been Fragged, affixed and transported to my office. It will look much better in a couple of days.
IMG_20120330_135329.png

I also placed a couple small Mangroves in the skimmer section of the sump. Also visible is the Diatom bloom I've been expecting.
IMG_20120330_143002.png

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back