OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a unique scape, I like it. Look forward to seeing how it progresses
Thanks Barb - "unique" is one of the kinder things it's been called ;)

That has to be the coolest nano I have ever seen Great job
Sent from my iPhone 4S
using Tapatalk
Thank you very much. :)

I added 4 more Montis and one Pectinia, but they're not ready for their close-ups yet. In the interim, here are a few cell-phone FTS pics...

IMG_20120427_173758.jpg

IMG_20120427_174402.jpg

IMG_20120427_173949.jpg

I'd like to get the 2 remaining pieces completed this weekend but time will be a bit tight. I'll be spending much of Saturday at the Big House watching my son graduate from the University of MICHIGAN :bigsmile:

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice new pics...i love the natural sunlight hitting it. Congrats on your son's graduation! Thats awesome!

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a refreshing display. It reminds me of the gemstone displays at the Smithsonian natural history museum in Washington D.C.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a refreshing display. It reminds me of the gemstone displays at the Smithsonian natural history museum in Washington D.C.
How very cool this is! And so close by...
very unique
Thank you. If nothing else, it provides a different perspective on what a reef tank can look like.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

I had planned on installing the two final pieces along with the remaining corals today however, the final installation didn't survive transport (I pushed beyond the stress tolerance of 1/16" acrylic rod.) I will rebuilt the last piece and install it on Wednesday. The contest in which this tank was entered required that all livestock be placed in the tank no later than today. As a result, many Monti and Zoa frags are "hanging out" on the substrate until I have time complete the last installation and get them mounted.

Here's a few quick photos including what will be the Zoa build. You can also see a bunch of Frags temporarily sitting on the substrate...

DSC_2795.jpg

DSC_2790.jpg

While it appears rather drab and boring in this photo, this Pectinia is quite beautiful once it gets colored back up. It takes on a very deep translucent quality.

DSC_2789.jpg

This will hold a series of Zoanthids. The base will not be visible as it is hidden beneath the substrate.

The Tetra Luft air pump came in today, amazingly it has changed little since the last one I had 35 years ago providing the air for a couple tanks of Oscars and Jack Dempseys. I'll be adding it and another airstone to the skimmer. Although it's working well at present, I think 7 PSI coupled with the new bubble plate will improve it's performance. I've also been playing around with a tiny Hydor Pico Evolution pump to increase the flow through the skimmer. Once I see how the additional air works, I should be able to make a determination on the value of increased water flow.

Have I mentioned how easy it is to spend a lot of time tinkering with skimmers?

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Air = Good :)

I replaced the whisper air pump with the Luft and wow - what a huge improvement. While it's a bit louder than I had hoped, the airstone now cranks out so many fine bubbles that it has allowed me to raise the entire skimmer a few inches, improving the water flow. The Luft is powering a single airstone and is running at ~80% - Any higher output and it would overpower the skimmer, forcing wet froth down the drain line. :)

Before with the whisper (note the position of the top magnet compared to the after photo)
Filtration4.jpg

Now with the Luft running at ~80%
2012-05-02140447.jpg

The next version of the bubble plate will include a lengthened airstone chamber which should allow the Luft to be run at 100%. I'm anxious to see what a difference it makes in skimmate production. It "appears" to be running so well, that I might not even bother adding a feed pump...Mames got nothing on this powerhouse of a Pico Foam Fractionation System :)

I installed the Zoa and Monti pieces today and mounted the corals. All that left is to get the Capricornis off the substrate and onto their new home which is nearly done and will be installed on Friday. Sorry for the cell cam photos - Hopefully all the Zoas will be open by then and ready for better photos and maybe a short video showing the Skimmer doing it's thing.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the final piece, which I think may end up being my favorite (floating Capricornis.) The updates to the skimmer (Luft air pump and addition of a Hydor Evolution Mini pump) are working very well. The additional air and lift provided by the Luft allowed me to raise the skimmer ~3". I think I'm about done tweaking the skimmer and now have room to replace the Mangroves...

I re-installed the MP-10, it will take a bit of tweaking, but I think this tank will look great with a small standing wave:roll:. Alk is being maintained at present with just the Kalk being added to the ATO, so I haven't started using the BRS dosing pumps. As demand increases, I'll add the 2-part. Here are a few photos and a quick video to show the current status. I'll take more Macro shots as everything colors-up and recovers from the shock of Fragging, transport and install.

2011-12-22183115.jpg

DSC_1763.jpg

Paly.jpg

DSC_1764.jpg

DSC_2826.png

DSC_2818copy.jpg

[video=youtube;AEMGWyyBjqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEMGWyyBjqo&hd=1[/video]

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.

Does that MP10 not pull in air since its slow close to the top?
Thanks BT - It would were it not running at only 10%. I've got the flow in the tank reduced to give the Rics an opportunity to attach to the black-glass substrate. Because the tank is so open and free from obstruction, despite the 3' length it takes very little to move the water the length of the tank. Eventually I'll use the MP-10 to create a small standing wave which will require lowering it.

Last edited:

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos on the finishing touches. This tank amazes me everytime i check it out. So where is this contest at and what are you up against? Good luck btw!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is crazy cool bro.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back