Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

soutzee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is anybody wondering how did the contest go i bet he nailed it! he won in the inovative ,awsome, breakthrough, and beautiful categories jajaja

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coolest tank i have ever seen. i would love to see the updates if its still going

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone and sorry for the lack of updates. Business demands have severely limited my tank time for the past 6 months.

I'm pleased to share that this build did win the 2012 Nano Tank contest. The prize was an Orphek DIF50 LED pendant which is still siting in the box waiting for a suitable project tank.

I really enjoyed that build and learned a lot in the process. The use of acrylic proved challenging from a maintenance perspective as it was a chore to keep it clear of any algae - especially the acrylic rod that was exposed to lots of flow. In the end, I grew tired of the overall design, favoring a more natural looking reef. Perhaps the greatest part of that build was the skimmer, which continues to perform wonderfully today. I just broke the tank down to start the 2013 version - I'm starting with a clean (black) slate...

e97b9fda578ca85d885011d858ced211.jpg

b5afa5bc28a4b3c917fb8ee1c1170e13.jpg

This is my first build using a black substrate, looking forward to seeing how colors pop. I do notice the tank looks dimmer with less light reflecting off the bottom which is fine as I'll be able to run the ReefBrites a bit more (they look great with the black bottom.)

Dosed a bit of ammonia and MB-7. That coupled with the MarinePure bio spheres recycled from the last build should make for a short (if any) cycle.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool a new build! :D

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2013 Build

I thought long and hard about what to do with this next build. Some may recall I started playing with Nature Aquariums, specifically an Iwagumi tank...

af7c81bff4269f5a3739a6528efc6c71-1.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't had time to complete the build yet. It remains dry (although strangely I love the look of the tank as-is.) For those unfamiliar with Nature Aquariums, Here are the 25 best tanks from around the world in 2010. I'm intrigued by the concept and new challenges, (especially for someone versed in marine tanks.)

So I thought I'd try and implement some Nature Aquarium concepts into this next build. I acquired some beautiful petrified wood that went unused in the Iwagumi tank, so I thought perhaps I could use it in this build...

PetrifiedWood.jpg

But on further research, I couldn't guarantee the petrified woods would not leach undesirables into the water column, As a result I decided to use Aragonite rubble - although it's not nearly as attractive, it will aid in biological filtration and still provide the mechanical support for the desired elevation changes.

Part of the challenge (and fun) has been selecting and adapting Marine components that would emulate the appearance of the items and livestock used in freshwater Nature Aquariums. The CaribSea - Hawaiian Black was the closest I could find to Amazon type soils used in Nature tanks but it poses some extra challenges. It's slightly magnetic, so care has to be used to avoid scratching the glass when using a magnetic cleaner. The greater challenge is water movement. Nature aquarium designs often attempt to recreate "landscapes" that include large elevation changes. This is achievable because the tanks use very little water movement. The water movement needed in a marine tank would instantly turn those tanks into mud-bowls. My hope is keep some of the elevation changes and still maintain enough flow to support the livestock and filtration functions. The livestock I've selected will mimic some of the look of a nature tank, while having have modest flow requirements.

I blocked some time tomorrow to hopefully finish the aquascape ("hardscape" in nature aquarium parlance) and if all goes well, begin "plantings".

soutzee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an idea that can make things looks natural you know how GSP can look like grass, well you can grow the GSp on rocks ( making the formations you are looking for) causing elevation and at the same time making it look like mountains of grass. and you know the GSP likes flow so you wont have trouble there.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an idea that can make things looks natural you know how GSP can look like grass, well you can grow the GSp on rocks ( making the formations you are looking for) causing elevation and at the same time making it look like mountains of grass. and you know the GSP likes flow so you wont have trouble there.
I couldn't agree more - I already have 3 varieties of GSP waiting install :)

soutzee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expulsión Aldo consider putting a monto digitata or an acro to make it look like a bonsai tree 2or 3 small fishes and you can make it look like amano himself did it jajaja

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - I placed a few more corals in the tank today - most haven't opened yet, but here are a couple of quick cell-cam photos...

b779318b-2e97-4cc5-9a81-6aed5c317763.jpg

5b48fac6-397f-4c8b-8417-394e1c489079.jpg

The photos are poor and don't show the wide variety of colors of the various Gorgs which includes pinks, purples and golds. I'll work on better photos once everything is installed and happy.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool tank. :)

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is starting to "settle-in" Added a few small Zoa Frags within the rocks. I'm amazed at how quickly the Shaving Brush Macros (Penicillus sp.) have recovered from shipping and their phenomenal growth rate.

fec62ef9-785f-4edb-bb40-d0b5c02fea7e.jpg

I decided on a stocking plan - I've been searching for Yellow-striped Cardinals and LA just got some in stock :)

p-77867-orange-lined-cardi.jpg

I'm hopeful they will shoal among the Gorgonians

In addition to the Cards, I ordered Sexy Shrimp, a few colorful hermits and crabs. It should make for an interesting mix. Delivery is set for Friday so with any luck, I'll be able to post some better photographs Friday evening.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Good choice on the fish, my LFS has been getting those in recently and I really like the look of them. I am going to be putting 3-5 in my tank here soon as well :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 100 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back