Coolaid's Tale of the Tank

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna get a pair tank raised and HOPEFULLY eating more than just live 'pods...but I'll have a culture going before I get them. They'll probably be the last fish I add, and I'm gonna put in whatever work I have to so they get nice and fat and happy n_n I love my fishies. They aren't just 'decor' to me. They're my little buddies.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do try not to get attached to new fish for the first month in case they don't make it through QT, but once they do...

OP
OP
Coolaid

Coolaid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that was the roughest part. He was QT'd, trained, doing very well.. All hte poeple who him and knew mandarins where shocked at how large and fat he was. Honestly he was the biggest one I have ever seen towards the end. When I got him he was just average sized. It was just such a bummer. I know it's just a fish, but I'm sure some of you understand.. haha

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotta know - how did cats take down a tank?

Neat to see the mollies. I did that too in one of the reef displays at the LFS I worked at just to hear the comments. :) How long have you kept them like that?

OP
OP
Coolaid

Coolaid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank was a 12g nano cube. They are known to be top heavy as is with the narrow stands they use. Having it on carpet (albeit burber so not as fluffy as some) didn't help. What we concluded was that the cat must have made a leap to get on top of the tank (never seen him do it before) and either missed, or grabbed hold to get up the rest of the way and it tilted the tank.

It was a mess and lesson learned... well sorta.. We still have the tank in the same spot, but it's a 28g now, and I have it anchored to the wall.. lol

Honestly, I would not do a cube again.. Knowing what I know now, I feel that it is not that great of a system. I had to upgrade the media basket, I had to fix the LED's numerous times.. Replace the ballast on the dusk dawn, replace the daylight power supply (died after 3 months) added some stunner strips to supplement the lack of colored LED's (stock led is all 12000k white) The moon lights just recently failed so I need to open it up once again.

OP
OP
Coolaid

Coolaid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotta know - how did cats take down a tank?

Neat to see the mollies. I did that too in one of the reef displays at the LFS I worked at just to hear the comments. :) How long have you kept them like that?

The molly has been in that tank for about 6 months now. I had a trio in there that where breeding every week, and I would use the babies for live food for fish and the mandarin. Whatever was left or got too big went back to fresh water in my turtle tank which has mollies, platties, and swordtails along with some overgrown feeders. The turtles for whatever reason just don't eat them, or do so very sparingly (they are well fed with pellet and stick food)Right now, the only one in there is the oldest female. The male had a ban encounter with a power head, and the other female while she bred a few times never really took to the salt conversion very well, and I moved her back to fresh water.

I may try to convert a couple more at some point. I would like to try some blacks, or silvers to see if I can get some dalmatian type babies. Mollies are fun in salt water..

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a molly in brackish water because she's the only one pushy enough to go with my green spotted puffer XD she was bullying my other mollies. My other remaining molly lives in my community freshwater...I lost her mother recently...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back