Maintenance on Red Sea ReefWave 25 Gyre Powerhead

hsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been operating two Red Sea ReefWave 25 Gyre Powerheads since February 1, 2024. I read somewhere that you can toss the parts overnight in vinegar to remove all coraline, organics, etc.

However, after reading the Red Sea manual, I am not sure anymore. It states that, "Make sure that the ceramic tips of the impellors and the ceramic bushings in the cages are smooth and free from damage." Is there a danger of the ceramic being affected by the vinegar?

The manual suggests "soak the parts for about 1 hour in a 10% bleach solution". Maybe better?

Later, the manual actually says, "Soak all of the parts for about 1 hour in a 10% bleach solution to remove any organics and brush clean. If there are any calcium deposits remove
them by using a 1:1 diluted solution of vinegar (nothing stronger). Don’t soak the parts in the diluted vinegar solution for more than a few minutes."

What are your experiences? What do you do to clean them?

Pearse73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been operating two Red Sea ReefWave 25 Gyre Powerheads since February 1, 2024. I read somewhere that you can toss the parts overnight in vinegar to remove all coraline, organics, etc.

However, after reading the Red Sea manual, I am not sure anymore. It states that, "Make sure that the ceramic tips of the impellors and the ceramic bushings in the cages are smooth and free from damage." Is there a danger of the ceramic being affected by the vinegar?

The manual suggests "soak the parts for about 1 hour in a 10% bleach solution". Maybe better?

Later, the manual actually says, "Soak all of the parts for about 1 hour in a 10% bleach solution to remove any organics and brush clean. If there are any calcium deposits remove
them by using a 1:1 diluted solution of vinegar (nothing stronger). Don’t soak the parts in the diluted vinegar solution for more than a few minutes."

What are your experiences? What do you do to clean them?
I don’t own one of these but I do have a gyre and an MP10, same principle applies. Don’t use vinegar. It eventually makes plastics brittle and they will fail.
Just grab some citric acid powder. (I’m European so you’ll need to look up dilution conversion, but roughly 50g per litre). Just use tap water. Give your stripped equipment a soak and scrub. Rinse in RO/DI water and you are done.

OP
OP
H

hsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I don’t own one of these but I do have a gyre and an MP10, same principle applies. Don’t use vinegar. It eventually makes plastics brittle and they will fail.
Just grab some citric acid powder. (I’m European so you’ll need to look up dilution conversion, but roughly 50g per litre). Just use tap water. Give your stripped equipment a soak and scrub. Rinse in RO/DI water and you are done.
Thanks! Citric acid is a good idea (I am European as well and use metric again in Australia after 20 years in the US, where I could never get used to gallons and inches...)!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back