Mole's "new" 20gal Nano

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I started out with the 12gal Fluval edge and it took me about 4 months before I decided it was too tight to get my arm in there for cleaning. Went up to Blue Fish in Grandview,MI and grabbed a 20gal and transferred everything over... not too much of a mess as it had only been running for 4 months so the sand bed wasn't a disaster when I tried to move it. Got some nice corals from WWC, Cherry Corals and Aquascapers and so far everything is doing well... will get pics uploaded soon.

Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to do the same thing, how did u get it going without causing another cycle, did u add any new rocks or sand? What kind of filtration are u using? Thanks

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to do the same thing, how did u get it going without causing another cycle, did u add any new rocks or sand? What kind of filtration are u using? Thanks
I added a bag of live sand but that was it... I used the same equipment I had on the fluval (pumps,skimmer, heater... etc) and ran it for about a month before I crashed it (my fault) and didn't even have a mini cycle.

Read about the crash here https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/129247-anyone-hear.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... MUCH more three dimensional than it looks. I was trying to get as much depth as I could in a 20gal

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, though it is a given that "you get what you pay for" I still opted for the budget lighting option from fishneedit.com which arrived at my house this morning. As I'm on a pretty tight budget right now, I still wanted to get some T5 lights going... graduating from a 20" pc fixture with led supplements and going to the 24"- 4x 24w fixture with ATI Blue+ 2x, ATI Purple+ 1x and Giesemann Aquablue bulbs. Will update as soon as I get it set up.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy birthday to me! My honey bombed to Pruess' Pets today while I was at work ( an hour drive) and bought me this beautiful Sunset Monti frag.

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking your bulb combo? I have the same thing over my 20, 4 x 24 t5. I used a similar combo.
I went with:
B+
B+
P+
B+

And also:

B+
B+
Giesemann lagoon blue
B+

I keep swapping out the purple plus and lagoon blue because I can't decide what I like better.

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking your bulb combo? I have the same thing over my 20, 4 x 24 t5. I used a similar combo.
I went with:
B+
B+
P+
B+

And also:

B+
B+
Giesemann lagoon blue
B+

I keep swapping out the purple plus and lagoon blue because I can't decide what I like better.
I do like the whiter on a different timer for brighter "daytime", and the montis's seem to also.

Update:

Picked up a 23 gallon sump from a local reefer for cheap and grabbed an Eshopps pf800 overflow that I'll install a Hofer gurgle buster (http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html) into. Going to start plumbing it today with a manifold for reactors and a spigot for water changes. Will post pictures when it's all together.

Last edited:

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. Can see that there is a lot of depth. Not a fan of the awkward looking bridge you have built tho. Maybe if it gets covered w coral it will look more natural.

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of the awkward looking bridge you have built tho.

Yeah, that's why I was trying to post more pics. Got rid of the bridge and shuffled things around but, interface with the forum is being weird. Keyboard no working correctly. Can't upload. Odd though, it's only this forum. Works fine elsewhere.

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the rearranged scape and the sump/ refugium.

Attachments

• 1387176143868.jpg
    1387176143868.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 1387176294757.jpg
    1387176294757.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 187

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%

Back