Utilizing your Resources

reef_flapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utilizing your Resources
By: Carl “Jayson” Robert

So I was new once, a “Noob” if you will as we all were at some point in time. I mean to tell you that I did not know my butt from a hole in the ground. Some of you may be wondering what this guy is talking about. However some of you may know exactly what I am talking about. Too many time we as Hobbyists we start out uninformed and under prepared for the adventure we are about to pursue and make no mistake it is quite an adventure when we first start out.

So personally I have 2 years experience in the hobby and I am learning constantly everyday! My 1st tank was a 29g FOWLR (Fish Only with Live Rock). A Pet store special if you will. Remember when I said “uniformed and under prepared” well that was to say the least. I was talking to the aquatics worker and boy did he give me GREAT advice. When I walked out of there I had a 29g tank and stand, fluorescent light ,reef salt, a power filter, (1) Clownfish, and (1) Condylactis anemone that would play host to my Clownfish. Man was I setup for success!!!
This was my very first purchase and a very costly one for my initial setup. That was good for me but when I said “GREAT” advice; I may have been exaggerating a little bit. To make a long story short my tank crashed and burned. Apparently Tap water untreated to mix salt water and putting fish and inverts directly into your tank is not a good thing. Neither is using Windex to clean the glass and who knew what a water change was.

My experience has since grown from my first initial tragedy which is usually enough to run hobbyists away rather quickly with an experience like that. The point that I am trying to make is that there is an unlimited amount of knowledge, experience and information out there available to us.

Utilizing your Resources is the best and only way to ensure success within our hobby.

Websites on the internet like Reef Forum R2R or your local Reef Club often have several forums which information can be viewed shared or even receive feedback if you have written something. There is an unlimited tap of knowledge and information from other users just like you who have been there and done that. Most of the time other members of forums will be more than glad to assist you with any problems or questions that may arise during your journey. Not only are forums the only place to get gainful insight into our hobby, places such as Wet Web Media are great and provide answers to a lot of common problems that we face.

Local Fish stores or (LFS) also can be a resource. Maybe not 100% of the time, but more often than not as long as they deal with Saltwater Aquaria. Remember your LFS probably has the latest issue of Reef Hobbyist Magazine for your enjoyment.

Other resources include Frag Swaps, where your local Reef club sets up an event where other members come out to swap out coral frags with one another to add diversity to their system. However it may be another event such as a review on a piece of equipment or technology that is new to the hobby.

Resources are tools for which we can succeed. Whether it be internet based, periodicals, books or even good ol’ fashioned word of mouth. We need to utilize them from Beginners to Veterans to those in between types. These types of resources bridge the gap between experienced hobbyists and beginners. That is needed for the hobby and for informative purposes so continued success can be guaranteed.
20121202_132144.jpg

Since my first debacle with a saltwater tank to my now thriving 60g Artisan I have learned so much by utilizing my resources. Without them I would be lost. Keep in mind that some of the resources that are mentioned in this article are only a small fraction of what’s available to you. Listed in this article are great places but are intended as examples for starting points for your continued success.

My final piece of advice on a personal note is to not be afraid to ask any questions. If you don’t you can be missing an important piece of information that could be vital to the success of your tank. Let’s face it not one of us wants a “Ok” tank we want it to be the best it can be. To do so we need knowledge from resources. Like the old saying goes Knowledge is power! With that I hope you either find success in your journey or continue to find success in your aquatic endeavors.

Last edited:

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Also, don't give up. This hobby has a ton of information and there is a lot to learn. This isn't a hobby like building model cars or jogging or something like that. There are a lot of advanced topics and concepts that you may or may not know. Using these resources will help alleviate some of those anxieties or frustrations.

I know it doesn't say much since I'm green as can be, but I get frustrated when I missed something simple. I'm slowly learning not to be so hard on myself.

Anyways....that's my $.02

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back