Don't be scared of the hype

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean this as a negative contrast to the other thread, rather reading it and agreeing with the very valid points that thread author made, this thought occured to me remembering my experiences when i first got into the hobby.

When you're first starting out, or even after you've been doing it for a bit, you'll eventually (hopefully) stumble onto discussion forums such as this one. Now as discussion is just a nicer way of saying argument in many cases, you'll surely start to see that there's several methods of going about pretty much anything, and you'll see folks politely (see British Parliment polite sometimes :tongue:) disagreeing over which method, or which coral, or which fish, or which tank, etc etc is the "BEST" way of doing anything.

Being a natural cynic, as soon as I noticed this I took a distrust to any of the "new-fangled" methods of doing things; from vodka dosing to high end corals to algae turf scrubbers and so on, for as many things that there are in this hobby, there's always at least two sides to any one of them. Instead of getting excited to try new things out, I stuck in the same rut and got burned out in the hobby. It was discarding the cynicism, especially from others, that got me back into the hobby and excited again. When I spent a lot on a zoa that someone else said was silly, I finally was able to say "to heck with it, I love staring at this thing and that's good enough for me!" From there my passion for the hobby really reignited and now I get so much more excitement out of it than when I tried to follow the "proper" path.

As a beginner, the worst thing you could do is get caught up in these arguments, or start to think that the passion going into the discussion should discourage you from trying out something. You like a coral that's being sold for $500 for a 1/2" piece? GO FOR IT! Who cares what it's "value" is, if you like it enough and would like to get it, it will become your most prized piece, and motivation for you to continue through the hard parts that come with the hobby.

Similarly, you want to try out the natural system of an Algae Turf Scrubber, but don't like being lumped in with "the crowd" who represents it (not casting any stones here folks, just talking purely in loosy goosey hypotheticals)? Try it out anyways, see if you like it-if not, guess what, you just got smarter about something that may help you down the road, so all the "hype" that got you to try out this other system gave you invaluable experience.

Same for Vodka Dosing, or Bio-Pellets, Granular Ferrix Oxide (GFO) or any number of things-we're all trying out different means of accomplishing the same goal: Keeping a healthy thriving reef tank that WE enjoy, not that THEY enjoy.

In short-if you're starting out and feeling overwhelmed but get excited by something-GO FOR IT! Research the thing that got you excited to know it's inherent risks or drawbacks, but don't be discouraged from any negative hype and let it overwhelm your positive hype-there's a really good reason that we as people get excited about stuff, it's what allows us to put up with the bad so we can get to the good and enjoy the H-E-double-hockey-sticks out of it!

Just my .02 dinares

Last edited:

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way you think! I was in another club when I first started & everytime I mentioned something the "club" didn't do I was knocked down for a fool for not doing it the "right" way. one of the biggest reasons I joined this club more ideas that weren't knocked down with the first question

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point! Thanks for the other side. I myself am pretty excited about what I am going to try to do. I am going to try to have several species spawn regularly in my tank to help feed the coral/other animals. There are 3 to 4 species I am going to try to get so that I have a spawning event every weekish. I have done a ton of research but haven't really found anybody really intentionally doing it to either act as a warning or a beacon. I have read threads where there is some inadverntant spawning. I have also read a great deal about each animal that I am going to try to set up to spawn.

Hopefully this could eliminate the need for an automatic feeder! :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article... I like playing guinea pig myself if I'm not comfortable with what I'm Doing I do one of 2 things.... I'm not gonna tell about or discuss it or I shouldn't be doing it in the first place... Look at my h2o2 thread it blew up from here and was on every board!!! I wasn't comfortable the day I decided to Do it so I kept my mouth shut but it did show results and proved to be a fix...;)
Now I gotta try it on my byropsis plugs from the frag rack and see if it has any good toward
Killing it like hair algae on plugs.... I'll keep ya updated...

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, interested in reading your H202 threads. Any chance of a link? Not finding it, searching your name.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drainbamage,

That was a very well said post! I think many can agree and newbies can appreciate the points you made about doing what makes you happy...again its all within reason, common sense, and proper research should apply. For example dont just buy a hippo tang and stick it in your 14 gallon biocube because it makes you happy LOL.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try anything once but there are ways that I have had better success. It keeps the hobby fun when there are new things to try. Like Troylee's h2o2, I tested it on a few rocks in my tank and am so glad I did because there is no algae on those rocks anymore. I myself would have NEVER thought about trying that.

So all newbies should know there is no "right" way to do things, there are only many methods that can reach the same goal with different levels of maintenance. I will say though that there are a few wrong ways to do things but they are so against common sense that I would hope people wouldn't do them...lol

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything you said! Doesn't really have anything to do with my thread;)

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything you said! Doesn't really have anything to do with my thread;)

Lol, thanks-and I didn't think it had much to do with your thread, but because your thread made me think of it, I wanted to be sure it didn't come off as anything resembling a disagreement with you or anything, I know all too well how well-intentioned thoughts can easily get lost in the coldness of text.

To all others, thanks! I remember when I got into the hobby all I ever heard was how not to do things, and how discouraged it got me. Now, I make a point to tell people things ARE possible. Sometimes it gets me in trouble, but I still think adventuring is much better than stagnating, at least for me and my twisted psyche :tongue:

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! This hobby is about enjoyment. Some people enjoy the technology, some people fish, others corals, and on and on. I couldn't agree more with the idea of going in YOUR direction and forget what others are saying ( as long as you've done your research and you're using common sense ). People thought Einstein was crazy too :nerd:.

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never be afraid to try new things! I know for a fact my wife thinks me and my fish are drinking buddies (she has told me) because I get a shot and the tank gets a shot of vodka and she saw it.... I am pretty sure this is actually how it came about... some drunk guy gave his fish a shot a day on a 5 day binge and after sobering up for a week noticed his tank was much cleaner :D or at least thats how I want to think it happened! Many new and better ways of doing things have come from people doing stuff that made people scream "what the heck ARE YOU DOING!".

Kataro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whole family thinks I'm insane for putting vinegar / vodka into the tank.. and some people had even suggested that I don't follow the hype about it...

Shoot w/o vodka / vinegar my nitrate might be in the hundreds by now... But yes do research *ALOT* before doing crazy stuff to your tank

LeCorals81

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said, drainbamage! Glad to see you're back with a passion! I like how you think....

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good post, That is typically my thoughts as well.

I did a lot of various things and saw some of the opposition
first hand from the "experts", I just smiled and walked away.

I joke and tell people I do everything the wrong way,
but it is funny how I have good growth and a happy tank.

The only bad part is i wish I would have walked away sooner, by trying
to do it the "right" way I wasted a lot of money and frustration.
Find what works for YOU and go with it.

I just got a $200.00 fish for my Birthday and while some may say "are you crazy"
I have to agree with what my wife said (as I questioned myself) "Just Enjoy Him"

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your viewpoint! You only get to live once, so make it worthwhile and do whatever it takes to make yourself happy... :bigsmile:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back