Top NOOB things to do BEFORE getting started!!!

1mbrews8

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idea:

Everyone who looks at the thread has to offer up some advise to the NOOBS here on the forums...

Pick just one thing that you suggest a new hobbyist should do before "getting started".

Mine is: Go visit other successful hobbyist's tanks and see what they do and copy them!

what is yours??

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
research research research!

depends what what kinda corals you want to keep... determine what lighting and equipment you will need.

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
research research research!

depends what what kinda corals you want to keep... determine what lighting and equipment you will need.

+1! Do your research! Be very very patient! Patients is key in this hobby.trust me I learned the hard way!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a well planed out idea of what you want and execute it to the best of your ability. Learn what you will need and understand if you want a stunning tank you are going to put in some serious time and effort. Maintaining a larger system can be a full time job in it's self, but having a smaller system can be the biggest hassle in the world too a inexperienced reefer.

SAZAMA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-read. then read, more. then read some more...
-cycle your tank from scratch, seriously. (patients is key)
-find your local club. (masc is amazing)
-use the SEARCH tab (it's already been covered)
-ohh yeah! READ

1tyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a loan out ! LOL There are no dumb or to small of a question.Relax and enjoy. Enjoy!

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy all the interesting "little things" in your tank. I was successful waiting over six months before adding anything but live rock to my tank because I discovered an "alien world" of strange life and had something to look at while waiting for the tank to become extremely stable.

phi delt reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buying quality equipment will let you sleep at night/enjoy your vacation.

try to get the wife and kids involved - its good to have a set of semi-experienced hands on deck when things go wrong.

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna have to agree on research. I did a full time job worth of research for 2 years before setting up my tank. Enjoy the tank build as well. One of the funnest parts of the hobby IMO.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
research lighting and skimmers..get it right the first time, don't wind up upgrading 6 months into it

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well research is gonna be number one I guess... I would say get a tank a tad larger than you want and get quality equipment even thou it's more exspensive it's cheaper than buying 3 that don't work to get the original one you should have got... But if you did research you would know that already..:tongue:
P.s. Don't let the coral prices scare ya thousands of deals out there shop around I mean heck I give the newbs nice packs to get them on there feet and have trading power for free... There is plenty of reefers out there besides me who do this same thing...;) for instance I hooked this kid up Monday night with at least $300 worth of frags he's like 15 should do him well in future encounters.....

Russter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think you can set up a tank "for cheap". You'll just end up buying better equipment later on.

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think you can set up a tank "for cheap". You'll just end up buying better equipment later on.

Told my wife I could set up a reef tank for 1200 dollars. Lol. Well this is why I say do a lot research, because I think I'm 8k deep now. Omg is she really not happy. Yes I told her that prior to research.... Bad decision. Hahaha

OP
OP
1mbrews8

1mbrews8

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the ideas/comments! SOME of you are following the rules! :eek:)

121 views and only 15 comments?? Keep them coming people.. if you look at the thread, take the time to think about what helped you the most and help a new person out!

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup a realistic itemized budget, developed from experienced reefers on your local reef forum or a larger public forum such as this one.

zero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idea:

Everyone who looks at the thread has to offer up some advise to the NOOBS here on the forums...

Pick just one thing that you suggest a new hobbyist should do before "getting started".

Mine is: Go visit other successful hobbyist's tanks and see what they do and copy them!

what is yours??

I need to go see your tank there Mike. LOL

Back