R2R Coral Grow Out Contest: Winners!!!!!!!!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, we want to thank everyone that participated in the coral grow out competition. It was great seeing the members grow out their corals and keep their thread updated.

The winners are:

Acros:

SPS Winner:
@hart24601
Hart's Acro growout
start
186857d1413496487-harts-acropora-coral-growout-image.jpg

End:
220075d1424332672-harts-acropora-coral-growout-img_2063.jpg

Acans:
@ctyler85
ctyler85 Acan submission

S
tart:
iih8Onnl.jpg

End:
YbZYNQml.jpg

Zoas:
@AJ Reef
AJ Reef's AOG grow out thread

Start:
190061d1414489055-aj-reefs-aog-grow-out-thread-049.jpg

End:

220500d1424485336-aj-reefs-aog-grow-out-thread-041.jpg

The grand prize winner: @Triggreef
Triggreef's Zoa Grow Out Thread

Start:
20141016_145538_zpsr7jkcr8g.jpg

End:
IMG_5017_zpsacf3c3d8.jpg

Thank you to the sponsors that made this contest possible:

www.Orphek.com
www.SynergyReef.com
www.SaltwaterAquarium.com
www.CharityCorals.com
www.FLFragSwap.com
www.LarrysReefServices.com
www.Reef2Reef.com

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to the sponsors and R2R for hosting this.
I enjoyed loosing to you Hart ;)
And am thrilled to see you won. I had plenty of time to study every entry and pic. You probably knew you had this.
Congratulations to all the others and I'd say no surprises all around!

Now what to do with my beefy Garf Bonsi frag? I already have a colony. Any one up for trading?

Last edited:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I don't even know what to say but Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'm so happy I stayed up late to keep checking back here.

I guess I should say something about my tank and growth. I grew my zoas in a skimmer-less tank with a combo of reefbreeder leds and ebay cheap comparable leds. I did have them taking a good blast of light on my homemade acrylic (magnetic) shelf. Not sure on actual PAR but I can take a reading tomorrow. I would guestimate around 200 to 250 PAR. I tried to target feed them at night as often as possible, sometimes 5 or 6 nights a week, using either reef-roids or reef-chilli. They seemed to give a good feeding response so i kept doing it. Also my no3 is generally around 10ppm or less, and po4 throughout this competition was in the range of .2 to as high as .6 with a hanna checker. I recently just got it down to about .11 around a week ago after increasing vinegar dosing.

Thanks again @revhtree and staff, as well as all the vendors that sponsored this and made it possible. It was a ton of fun!!

And Congrats to all the other winners!

Last edited:

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats to all the winners!

I'll try my best not to drop out next time :)

AJ Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! and congrats to everyone who stuck it out to the end. A big thanks to Larry's Reef Services, Fl Frag Swap, Charity Corals, Saltwater Aquarium, SynergyReef, and Orphek!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats to the winners!! Great job!

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Had fun and can't wait to do it again !

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Congratulations,hart24601,AJ Reef ,ctyler85 and Triggreef!* Very well done!

Special thanks to the Reef2Reef sponsors who make this forum a great place to be!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks to everyone who played along, to all of our awesome sponsors who contributed prizes, and to the mods for helping out with this! Special thanks to SeahorseKeeper for really keeping track of all the entries and for her hard work!

Winners please OM me with your name, shipping info, and email!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a fun contest, thanks! And perfect since I just switched lights to hydra 26 and I was thinking of getting another unit. So exciting, 99% of the time I have no idea what I am doing, lucky to get the 1% right for once, haha.

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently on vacation so haven't been keeping a close eye on the forums. I just want to say thank you to revhtree and seahorsekeeper for all their hard work in making this contest possible. Thank you to all the sponsors who helped make this possible and donated. This was a lot of fun, the competition was definitely very close. Even without winning it was a lot of fun to actually document the growth on a monthly basis and really see how everything does. Hopefully we can do another in the future with some different species :) I will keep this short until I get back from vacation, but again, thank you to everyone.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently on vacation so haven't been keeping a close eye on the forums. I just want to say thank you to revhtree and seahorsekeeper for all their hard work in making this contest possible. Thank you to all the sponsors who helped make this possible and donated. This was a lot of fun, the competition was definitely very close. Even without winning it was a lot of fun to actually document the growth on a monthly basis and really see how everything does. Hopefully we can do another in the future with some different species :) I will keep this short until I get back from vacation, but again, thank you to everyone.

I as well enjoyed the documentation process.I would like to take more frequent pictures of my frags as I acquire them. I also would like to cast my vote for a brains category!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back