reef slime

  • Thread starter Thread starter navila06
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

navila06

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2012
Messages
812
Reaction score
11
Location
Meridianville Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting a horrible mucus looking slime in my tank, at first just in the sump, but it then slowly spread to the DT, this has been happening for a few weeks now, it just seemed like a never ending bacterial bloom. I do believe I am winning the battle. So here are a few things I did.

25% water change
changed carbon every 3 days
manually removed as much as possible many times a day mostly in the sump.
increased ph from 7.8 - 8.2 using kalkwasser.
put a fan in the window every night for 2 hours. my house is closed 24/7 365
turned off every automatic air freshener in the house. and omg we had many.

I did not change

flow
lighting
or feeding

hope this will helps anyone that may run into this issue.
 
pic of what it looked like
DSC03410.jpg
 
We fought this in a Dr's office that we service weekly. Imagine it in a pair of 800 gal tanks!!! I beat it by aerating the sumps and refugiums. For whatever reason, it would not grow where there was a lot of surface disturbance. We even looked at it under microscopes and could not identify any cellular structures (but it's been 20 years since I was in a lab...)
 
it is definitely some funky stuff, it was mostly on the surface in the sump. I think the best thing to rid it is fresh air to the sump/refugium areas. I also believe the air fresheners are a big factor in this issue as well.

We fought this in a Dr's office that we service weekly. Imagine it in a pair of 800 gal tanks!!! I beat it by aerating the sumps and refugiums. For whatever reason, it would not grow where there was a lot of surface disturbance. We even looked at it under microscopes and could not identify any cellular structures (but it's been 20 years since I was in a lab...)
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new