Look Ma, I've got crabs! (and lots of spare shells)

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the last year my cleanup crew has dwindled down to basically no snails and lots of hermits. I don't think it was 100% the crabs fault the snails died but they sure like the new homes and food. I think lots of them gave up when I increased my MAG to almost 1800 to kill off the bryopsis (which I didn't keep high long enough so it came back).

So the damage has been done and I am in the market for another cleanup crew. I have a heavily stocked 75 gallon tank with 40 Breeder sump. Lots of rockwork with mainly SPS and LPS corals.

What types of cleanup crew have you had the best success with? Mainly I need them to deal with the standard hair algae on the rocks. I have tried a few different snails but never seem to get the ones that like to eat algae...

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anymore i just use nass. vibrex, i try to get all 3 types of cerinths, trochus,and nerite.
if you got HA and have alot of hermits though something is very wrong.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with Mexican Turbo snails. They eat almost everything and seem to be fairly hardy. Just make sure that you have everything secured well, because they are bulldozers!

CJ

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back