Doppelgangers Foam Rock Wall Nuvo 16.

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I'd start a build thread since my foam rock wall turned out successful and it's time to start building this tank up. Here's a picture of the tank as it sits at the moment and I should be receiving my order of Golden Marundo Liverock from liverocknreef tomorrow.

Here's a link to the DIY foam back wall build as well.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196886

Last edited:
OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though their website shows a video of this rock that must be some of their best pics covered with gorgouse coraline I'm still happy with my buy since it is quality liverock and I wanted some top grade rock for this small tank.

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pics of the rock work not completed since I know I will rearange it like thirty times along with a few of hitch hiker pics that were euclid worms and a mantis shrimp and a porities coral that I hope survives.

Last edited:
OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to look amazing bravo sir
Thanks, I'm excited to get the new rock cycle over with since I know there will be quite a bit of die off from the rock.

The pieces of liverock are a bit larger then I'd like so aquascaping will be a bit harder but I'm not going to break them up since I already broke one of the nice pieces to make it incorporate in to the aquascape better and it felt like a sin.

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a quick update my tank is going thru a mean cycle atm due to the live rocks die off from the shipment. It's testing with a substantial amount of amonia and nitrite hence why the lack of pictures atm.

I think I have the aquascaping sorted out even though I have to remove a piece of live rock and place it in my edge tank but can't do so till the rock is fully cured since my edge tank is a frag tank atm.

The good news is I'll probably be keeping the edge up and running now and might do a foam back ground in that as well so I might have a few future DIY projects happening due to the extra piece of live rock I have that I don't want to waste.

If I build the edge with a foam background I will be doing my betas picotope 3 gallon bowfront as well so I'll have a fresh water version of a foam back ground as well.

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my edge that I was using as a frag tank was getting too hot so I had to transfer all the coral to the Nuvo the coral are not place permanently and I will be putting the chalice and frogs pawn back in the edge when I start running the AC.

The rock work is what I've settled on and now I have to decide where to glue the frags.

I'm thinking of mounting the plating montis on the wall corners, the encrusting on the rocks and acropolis and digitata on to the center of the walls as well as on some of the rock.

Feed back is much apreciated on my game plan and current condition of the tank aquascape.

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks so good
Thanks the rock is a bit large for my likings but that's what you get when you gamble with mail ordering for a nano tank but I will say I am happy with the way it's turning out.

I'll probably keep it with out fish for a while since the cycle has completed but still is way to early to start adding bioload to in my honest opinion. The pistol shrimp might acquire a friend soon enough if I see a nice goby around but that will be it for some time till the tank matures.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of foam and epoxy did you use?

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of foam and epoxy did you use?
I used great stuff pond foam and an epoxy I purchased from hobby lobby.

Sorry this thread went dead because I haven't hung the lighting yet. Hopefully I'll get the lighting fixtures made and hung this upcoming month and see what I can do with this little reef.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could find out the exact brand/type of epoxy, I would appreciate it. don't want to use the wrong stuff for my build. thanks.

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could find out the exact brand/type of epoxy, I would appreciate it. don't want to use the wrong stuff for my build. thanks.
BSI Slow Cure is what I used but I'd probably contact Bob Smith Industries and ask them what they suggest.

It worked for my small project but there has to be a better more affordable product for a larger tank application.

640086db127e8941fd193b7067cdf325.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back