‘Cover’ for after lights out

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I have moved into an apartment and my tank lights go out quite early I have run into some problems with my foxface freaking out after lights out if any lights around the tank are on. I was trying to think of a sort of ‘cover’ for the tank to protect it when the lights are off. I thought of a towel but I don’t think there is one big enough. Tank is 4x2x16 and figured someone on here has a better idea then a towel. What does everyone else do to keep their fish happy after bedtime regarding lights around the tank?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
is it rimmed? you can always put some velcro strips around the trim, and velcro on some thin sheets of plastic/acrylic? or perhaps some command hooks on the corners to hang the tension rods with small curtains?

if its not rimmed i would say a large towel or curtain/table cover

can always adjust for the lights to go out during bedtime?

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it rimmed? you can always put some velcro strips around the trim, and velcro on some thin sheets of plastic/acrylic? or perhaps some command hooks on the corners to hang the tension rods with small curtains?

if its not rimmed i would say a large towel or curtain/table cover

can always adjust for the lights to go out during bedtime?
It’s rimless but the Velcro idea is really good idea if it was rimmed. I get up at 6am and go to bed around midnight so a bit too long to keep the lights on, I have them on from 10am to 10pm never thought of a curtain but I like the idea

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my photoperiod set to go lights out at my bedtime.
You have a bed time? Haha! I wish.. I go till I pass out every day sigh… I pass out between 8-10:30pm and up every day at 3 am.. :rolleyes:

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blackout curtain would be cool... not sure if your ceiling is drillable.... but you could hang a couple of curtain rods... like the standalone bathtubs have so it's got it's own little protected area...
You could even host reveals for new fish when friends come over ha!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blackout curtain would be cool... not sure if your ceiling is drillable.... but you could hang a couple of curtain rods... like the standalone bathtubs have so it's got it's own little protected area...
You could even host reveals for new fish when friends come over ha!
Another benefit is hiding all the new coral from the wife so she can’t see all the money I’m spending! Lol going to get creative for it and do something cool

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a bed time? Haha! I wish.. I go till I pass out every day sigh… I pass out between 8-10:30pm and up every day at 3 am.. :rolleyes:
10 pm everyday. :grinning-squinting-face:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I see all sorts of ideas how to use a curtain etc.
But when my lights go out my hippo tang and my copper banded butterfly don't seem to want to bed down and they swim about for a little while then eventually crash out.
I say just let it be. The fish will get used to the light schedule.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It’s rimless but the Velcro idea is really good idea if it was rimmed. I get up at 6am and go to bed around midnight so a bit too long to keep the lights on, I have them on from 10am to 10pm never thought of a curtain but I like the idea
i actually have the spring tension rod for curtains for my sump/stand. the weird dimensions forced me to use my mothers great sewing skills, but i've since told her to hold off since i'm upgrading tanks anyways. my plan was to use black curtains to block out the sump light/sound.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see all sorts of ideas how to use a curtain etc.
But when my lights go out my hippo tang and my copper banded butterfly don't seem to want to bed down and they swim about for a little while then eventually crash out.
I say just let it be. The fish will get used to the light schedule.
I would do that but my foxface gets spooked super easy and tries to jump whenever I move with the lights off and makes a huge mess

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually have the spring tension rod for curtains for my sump/stand. the weird dimensions forced me to use my mothers great sewing skills, but i've since told her to hold off since i'm upgrading tanks anyways. my plan was to use black curtains to block out the sump light/sound.
Love these ideas!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back